Ta52 vs ta49

Piledriver

Hi, a little new to the Buick turbo world. I have a all stock 1987 t-type car with 85000 miles on it and looking at doing some upgrades. I want to run mid to low 11s what do u guys think about the ta49 or ta52 turbo's. I going to buy bigger injectors, chip and turbo what do u guys think would be best any help would be great. I know a bigger stall will help. I'm looking at buying one part at a time . Sorry if this I not the right place to post this ? in.

The 49 if you are buying parts one at a time. You can sell the 49 used very easily when you want to go bigger

Invest in a sold built transmission. The stock one will not last very long with the power you need to run those times. Might as well add a good stall converter to help make it a little easier to run those times.

Nix

I blew up 2 52's on back to back weekends with under 10 runs total.

I blew up 2 52's on back to back weekends with under 10 runs total.
The 51's and 52's had issues when they were new with turbine failure. Those issues are long gone though.

Ok I found a te44. Is a te44 better,worse, or same as a ta49 from what I found its about the same only doesnt look stock(guess it still bolts up like a stock one)

Hi Pile Driver . Welcome to the Buick World. Have you ever drag raced before. ? And done quarter mile passes at a track. Reason why? I know everyone wants to go fast. And shoot numbers like 10' and 11 second times. But there is alot of other things you will have to consider on your car that need to be changed when going those times. Remember these cars stock from Factory went 14's on the quarter. Dropping 3 seconds is huge. Remember when you want to go 11's . Things will break. Good luck.

get a turbo that doesnt have the T3 exhaust wheel. you'll need a converter, but you'll be happier. I wish I had a better turbine wheel....

Yes I have raced before most 1/8 stuff ( went 7.20 @99 in an 1/8) but I'm new to the Buick turbo. I had a 87 gn about 10 years ago but I didn't do any upgrades

You'll need a different wastegate to work with the "TE" 44 compressor cover. It is a different then the "TA" 49 compressor cover.

Wastegate should be the same; you'll just need to mount the actuator to the turbo but the factory puck or whatever downpipe you are using will work with either TA49 or TE44.

Throw some race gas in, learn how to adjust the fuel and timing, and get what you have to run hard first. That's part of the fun.