You can type here any text you want

Tailshaft play?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Sleeper

I was underneath the car today and discovered that there is a lot of play in the tranny's tailshaft. If I have this much play how much damage have I done internally? And what needs to be done?( Aside from the tailshaft slop, the tranny shifts perfectly.)
Thanks
Paul

1972 Toyota Celica with a 87 TR drive train.

PTE 44 turbo @ 20psi on pump gas. Jay Jackson’s 62 mm throttle body, ported and polished plenum and intercooler. Solid MAF pipe, K&N Filter. Blue tops. Hot wired 255 L/hr Holley inline FP., AFR. AC CR43’s. Type II coil pack and module. 8.5 Magnecor’s. Hand made TH style DP, 3” exhaust split to two 2 ½ inch Magnaflows.

Built 200 4R tranny, B&M cooler, stock D5 converter, B&M Megashifter.
Chopped Ford 9” four link setup @3:25 posi rear with a 300 ZX disk brake setup. Air bags, Bilstein Rally shocks.
85 Supra 57 mm piston 10” vented rotor front brake setup. Hurst Roll control. Tokico race struts, heavy duty coils. Nissan 300 ZX 15/16 master cylinder.
Dunlop SP 5000 205/50ZR 15’s, Ford power steering rack.

DirectScan, Caspers Knock gauge, Autometer 30/30 boost/vacuum gauge, Autometer tranny temp gauge. Jay C’s 94, Red’s 100, Thrasher 92, and my own chips

Was driveshaft in or out?

If the driveshaft was in and you have alot of play, you may want to pull and ck yolk and/or bushing. If it did hollow it out there is a guy on gnttype that has made a fix to save the case. If Driveshaft was out , they are only supported by the yolk and at center support . It is very normal to have the output shaft almost touch the seal or bushing area. It appears to have alot of slop but in fact this is totally normal.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

Clarification ?

Bruce
I noticed the play with the driveshaft in. I then yanked it out to check further. I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you saying that the yoke of the driveshaft is supported by a bushing in the trans, when it is installed? Can this bushing replacement be done while the tranny is in the car or is it a more complicated deal?

Thanks
Paul

Re: Clarification ?

Originally posted by Sleeper
Bruce
I noticed the play with the driveshaft in. I then yanked it out to check further. I'm not quite sure what you mean? Are you saying that the yoke of the driveshaft is supported by a bushing in the trans, when it is installed
Yes, that is exactly correct.
Originally posted by Sleeper
Can this bushing replacement be done while the tranny is in the car or is it a more complicated deal?Thanks
Paul [/B]

No, not that I know of, or not correctly. It has to be completely disassembled and changed. I heard of somebody doing it in car but I would never attempt.

Bruce
WE4
www.PTSnctb.com

A OK :)

Thanks Bruce
I did a double check today, and think I was being a bit paranoid. Slipped another yoke in, and there was a minimal of play. :)

Paul

Back