TE-60 Turbo..........

Realspool

I have heard alot of good things about the TE-60 turbo.It is quick spooling turbo a step above a TE-44 and provides 20 more horses on the top.Other then the TE44 the TE-60 seems to be a very popular turbo with good street manners.I myself will not go to a bigger turbo because I had a 60-1 turbo that was terrible and the lack of throttle response was a very undesired result on my street car.Can anyone attest to the TE-60 Turbo:cool:

im running the ta60 and love it. with the te60 i would need a little more converter and it looks like you got it.spools nice and pulls like a mother upstairs.:D

Got it - love it

I just got my TE-60 mounted last week and I haven't had it to the track yet but I really, really like this turbo.

It's smooth and pulls hard with no lag to speak of (on the street). I really considered the -44 but decided that since I'm going to do heads and cam very soon to go ahead with the 60.

I have the stock converter for now but I'm putting in a 2800-3000 stall in a month or so. Even with the stock converter, I love this turbo so I'm really excited about its performance once I get the tranny done.

I do not think you will ever regret the 60 if you go that way.

Yeah I have heard only great things about the TE-60 turbo.I had a bigger turbo before and i sold it because it sucked on the street.Talk about no bottom end torque or power. Maybe if I put in a 3500 Stall converter but my car is a street car.Just like you guys.I have the TE-44 which is great and fun to drive and the bottom end torque and power makes the car feel like a Big Block Chevy and i should know since i have one.But the TE-60 still has the great bottom end response just about 20 more horsepower on the top end.Do you ever notice that most of these guys in the posts that have bigger turbo's like PTE-52-53-54 or TE-61,TE-62-TE-63 seem to never be much faster on the track with a guy who has a TE-44.Yeah the TE-45 can get easily and guys are always running 10's but it sucks for the street.For the street TE-60 should be the max and it will be the only turbo i buy if i ever change from my TE-44 turbo_Only mistake I made is when i bought my Race cylinder heads and left the stock cam in.The stock cam is pretty stout though but if I had the money I would go for a 206/206 or a 205/210 cam.I got nothing against big turbo's.There great for racing but for a wild street car without slicks TA-49,TE-44,TE-60 are the best in my opinion.

Te60 vs Ta61

Does someone have real seat of the pants experience with the spool of a Ta61 vs Te60.If so please elaborate.

Im mainly talking on the street.The TA-61 is a good turbo to run on the street,The TA-61 does not require an outrageous stall converter but I think it is similar to a TE-60 just a bit more laggy.

Originally posted by Realspool
Im mainly talking on the street.The TA-61 is a good turbo to run on the street,The TA-61 does not require an outrageous stall converter but I think it is similar to a TE-60 just a bit more laggy.
I have a similar combo as you, am new with the non-stock turbos, but really like the TA-61 for my mostly street driven car. My 9" TC is a non-l/u at 2800 to 3000, and the cam is a 206 roller. Just enough lag to get some grip with DRs. I've read the 61 has the same compressor housing as the 60 and same turbine wheel as the 62.

Realspool, why do you want to upgrade turbos? You proably arent even close to maxing out your current te-44. unless you are getting that Te-60 REALLY cheap, I would stick with your current turbo. Twenty horsepower is only peanuts.. Save your money and dyno tune your car to reach its full potential. I know a few guys that are in the real low 11's with a similar combo.:eek:

Well thts a great point thats why i might take years or never because with all the good engine parts I have the on the car,it is out of tune.But I just bought a scanmaster 2 after 10 years and I can hardly figure out about the 02 volts they flash from 200- 400 to 600 to 850-875, always 0 knock.I have to read this scanmaster manual.I wish it came with a book for directions.The best way of doing is racing the car and recording the lowest or highest 02 volts???Im not sure whether the highest or lowest volts are recorded on the scanmaster??.Your also right about maxing out the TE-44.It is a very underestimated turbo.It seems like 90% of the guys who have TE-44's run in the 11's.When guys with bigger turbo's like a PTE-52,53,54.te-61,te-62,te63 they rarely have 11 second time slips.You could say Im wrong but I have been on this board for about 2 hours every day for a year and the bigger turbo's excluding the big big TE-45 guys are running in the 12's with.With a bigger turbo the tuning becomes more difficult and that is the truth unless your an expert on Turbo Regals .Nah Im staying and getting the most out of my TE-44!!Plus I don't even have 200$ for the TE-60 and i probably wouldn't put it on for free!!

listen to cme2fly...you know why you see plenty of guys with big turbos run 12's, because they think you just bolt things on and go faster. uh, in the real world no. i know a guy how has champion heads, pt 51, front mount, and yaddy yaddy yeah, and the guy in low 12's at best. the car should be low 11's. you know why its not, poor tuning. quit spending money on useless upgrades, get the car on the dyno and tune. i have seen on TR guys drop their fuel pressure by 2 psi and gain 20whp. Honestly i try and tell people this all the time, quit upgrading until you max everything out.

BTW, scan master tuning goes like this. O2 should never go below ~750 at WOT and KR never high than 3.0. if either occurs add some fuel...also depends on your chips timing. AND THAT BRINGS ANOTHER POINT, CHIPS ARE NOT GOING TO SOLVE SHIAT, EVERY CAR IS DIFFERENT. they only provide a very good starting point, they all need fine tuned:D :eek:

For the Scanmaster 2 To get the most accurate readings with 02 volts and knock retard is racing the car at the track.Isn't it the really only dependable way of getting what your lowest or highest 02 volts will read and also knock retard??

yes and no. you can tune scanmaster on the street. just get yourself some 1 mile straight aways where the traffic is minimal and do some WOT runs. make adjustments as necessary. scan master is only a basic way of tuning. Direct scan is a whole beast in itself

I just installed a brand new Turbonetics TE60 w/ Stage 5 exhaust wheel.... best turbo i've ever owned and it works great on the street with a STOCK torque converter! I'll be getting a 9/11 soon, but it does just fine with the stocker.

I have a te62.... need to put the converter in as I’m running the stocker until I get my tranny done... once she spools she books

What was ur ET? I have a TE-61 with a 2800 9x11 my best is 7.15 on pump gas and 20#