te60 upgrade ?

HUENEMEGN

So I was now wondering if it's possible to upgrade my turbo in any way .. Change exh housing , new bb cartridge or ceramic ball bearing if its possible? It's a low mile turbo I bought from Gbody parts . Maybe has 5,000 on this turbo . Just wondering what I can do. I know there is some discussion about something like this but it can't hurt to ask.
Just want a little faster spool up .

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Should spool pretty good with your 2800 now.......what exhaust housing is on it? You could maybe try a Garrett if it has a precision. I would ask Bison about that. Are your headers in good shape?

Something is wrong if its not spooling quick with your combo even with stock heads, what headers ? and check for cracks, do you have trouble building boost?

Keep the PTE exhaust housing on the turbo. Do not use the Garrett. 63

Running a BB turbo will spool faster and allow you to use a tighter converter.

For a street car, mid 10's, a BB turbo and a strong lockup converter is tough to beat.
Best of both worlds with faster spool up (than journal) and the ability to lock the converter at cruising or wot.

Jmo

Should spool pretty good with your 2800 now.......what exhaust housing is on it? You could maybe try a Garrett if it has a precision. I would ask Bison about that. Are your headers in good shape?

It has a precision housing .. The same one that came with it when I got it brand new . My headers are in good shape. They are aftermarket from Hitech performance down in La Puente,ca . They may not be in business anymore .

Something is wrong if its not spooling quick with your combo even with stock heads, what headers ? and check for cracks, do you have trouble building boost?

Well... I don't know if I just got use to the spool up and I want it to be faster ? I mean it spools fast but I have been in diffrnt car that had a ta49 but had a built engine with heads and all it it spooled like crazy . My engine is pretty stock with all the bolt ons. Or maybe I may need some new valve springs and a cam to get it going like my friends car. I have no knock and I'm boosting about 26psi.. Takes about 2 seconds or maybe a little more to boost up to 26 lbs . Is that normal ? Like I mention the headers are good or can headers be an overkill ? I heard on stock engines it can hurt performance ? I have the same headers GN1 performance sells .

The car that you were in that had a ta49 spools fast as it is. Than having a build engine and good heads like you mentioned. Makes a huge difference in how a turbo like that spools... Now you having a ta60 should spool fast as well. There has to be some exhaust leaks or the wrong converter or a bad/ very rich tune.

Well... I don't know if I just got use to the spool up and I want it to be faster ? I mean it spools fast but I have been in diffrnt car that had a ta49 but had a built engine with heads and all it it spooled like crazy . My engine is pretty stock with all the bolt ons. Or maybe I may need some new valve springs and a cam to get it going like my friends car. I have no knock and I'm boosting about 26psi.. Takes about 2 seconds or maybe a little more to boost up to 26 lbs . Is that normal ? Like I mention the headers are good or can headers be an overkill ? I heard on stock engines it can hurt performance ? I have the same headers GN1 performance sells .

Well first off your car is not gonna spool as quick as a car with a built motor, heads and a bit smaller turbo (ta49) and im guessing he has a better converter, Valve springs could be a problem if you not gaining rpm's, cam is not the issue, You cant beat a good set of stock headers unless your tired of welding them and pony up for TA's, I assume your running alky or octane at 26psi, and a TUNE is crucial at those boost levels..
Yes 2 seconds is a tad long for spool-up, what are you running on the cold intake side? K&n? what maf? what size pipe?

The car that you were in that had a ta49 spools fast as it is. Than having a build engine and good heads like you mentioned. Makes a huge difference in how a turbo like that spools... Now you having a ta60 should spool fast as well. There has to be some exhaust leaks or the wrong converter or a bad/ very rich tune.

Yes ... Maybe it is a rich tune. I try and read everything about our cars myself and try to tune there but I'm no expert... I just read read and try to understand it . I only have the scan master as a tuning but I know I should get a wideband . At full throttle I think my 02's are around .850 with no knock 25 psi.. It runs strong but I think it should be running stronger . So something is wrong .
My converter is a PTC 2,800 stall .

Well first off your car is not gonna spool as quick as a car with a built motor, heads and a bit smaller turbo (ta49) and im guessing he has a better converter, Valve springs could be a problem if you not gaining rpm's, cam is not the issue, You cant beat a good set of stock headers unless your tired of welding them and pony up for TA's, I assume your running alky or octane at 26psi, and a TUNE is crucial at those boost levels..
Yes 2 seconds is a tad long for spool-up, what are you running on the cold intake side? K&n? what maf? what size pipe?

Yes he had a nice built engine set up but his converter was stock. My gut feeling thinks my valve springs may be gone because if I recall my rpm would not reach 5,000. I don't know if a stock cam would make it that high? Yes i am running razors alky.
I'm running a 3" cold air intake, a 3.5" ls1 maf .. I have my filter in front of the radiator support for cooler air .
I have 3 inch intercooler pipes for my FMIC.. Is the larger size piping maybe hurting spool up ? Maybe ...

Where do I find a garret housing ?

Before you start changing housings I would try a few things first, if you can wrench otherwise labor can get expensive..
Valve springs.......
Shorten your cold air intake to a filter in the engine bay( don't worry about drawing engine heat :rolleyes:) to see if spool changes.
Put on a set of 15" rims and see how the car feels....I see you have 18s in your sig..
And I don't wanna bash anyone but never a fan of those headers...

and if things don't change after that you have other issues such as leaks/vacuum probs and what not. then hit up Bison for your turbo/converter needs and to dial in your combo goals...
Many people spool like lightning with a 60mm and make 10.90 power..

With a stock converter and other than stock manifolds and anything but a Garrett .63 2 seconds is probably right. A Garrett .63 will just about chop it in half. The stage 3 turbine won't hit choke flow in the Garrett .63 housing. Any exhaust leaks pre turbo will kill spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have the scan master as a tuning but I know I should get a wideband . At full throttle I think my 02's are around .850 with no knock 25 psi.. It runs strong but I think it should be running stronger . So something is wrong .
My converter is a PTC 2,800 stall .

Wayyyy to rich.

Get a wideband... Wideband will tell you everything. Ur just guessing with the O2s. 11:0 /11.1 is close to where you want to be with 93/alky.

Before you start changing housings I would try a few things first, if you can wrench otherwise labor can get expensive..
Valve springs.......
Shorten your cold air intake to a filter in the engine bay( don't worry about drawing engine heat :rolleyes:) to see if spool changes.
Put on a set of 15" rims and see how the car feels....I see you have 18s in your sig..
And I don't wanna bash anyone but never a fan of those headers...

and if things don't change after that you have other issues such as leaks/vacuum probs and what not. then hit up Bison for your turbo/converter needs and to dial in your combo goals...
Many people spool like lightning with a 60mm and make 10.90 power..

I will look things over and see what I can do. Thanks