The Only 3300 lb. Buick V6 in the 8s using...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don - In my opinion nothing you have mentioned should prevent you from running 8s. I would agree with Chris Lyons about turning it up as I too believe there is more in it. I've seen your posts over the years, and you have to admit with as much testing as you have done with that combination, you eventually would have to run the number. Its a matter of you choosing to take the longer and less traveled path to get to the same destination (8s). I don't like to travel as much, and so I threw a run of the mill 274ci S2 with Stage heads in my 3400lb car on 275 radials with stock suspension and a 10 bolt rear end with an 88mm turbo (with a 1.08 exhaust housing) I went 8.40 @ 166 with a soft 1.42 60 foot my second trip to the track.

Now I've broken some parts and learned some things trying to keep it together this season (also had very limited time at the track with the car due to taking long to make minor repairs myself) and expect to run much faster in the spring, but am sure that when you turn yours up you will find it can go faster as well.
When I get the car to a better track, I will be turning it up. I too believe there is more in it. I have had the car at a good track lately, but didn't have time to play around with the boost curve. Besides, it's really just recently that I've come to the conclusion that my home track is a large part of my 1-2 shift problem where the tires want to break loose above a certain boost level.

Which brings up another topic. I'm running alcohol with a 9.25:1 static CR. For a blown alcohol application this is very low. So low that I shouldn't really get into any trouble with the fuel until I reach 40-45 psi boost. I'm presently only up to 31 psi boost. You think the turbo isn't working yet,... the fuel isn't working yet either! The thing is, I don't think the heads have it in them. They've got to be close to being maxed out. I can't imagine that a 1.835" intake valve will allow much more.

What your slips are telling you could be that something is right... or that something is wrong... depending on prespective.
But, what is it that is right that is allowing me to do 8s? Not everything can be wrong, yet I'm doing 8s with a 1.835" intake valve.

What am I missing? What is the magic ingredient that is pushing this car into the 8s?

This is obviously a very rare feat for M&A heads with original valve sizes and without extensive head modifications. What the heck is the key here? :confused:

But, what is it that is right that is allowing me to do 8s? Not everything can be wrong, yet I'm doing 8s with a 1.835" intake valve.

And you wouldn't make any more power or go faster with 2.10 valves?

Can't be the ECM I use. Wastespark ignition. No distributor. Old, outdated ECM. Besides, all it does is provide fuel and spark. Same as any other ECM can provide.
Can't be the engine management.

Tuning? I don't think so. Nothing really tricky about providing spark at the right time and the correct amount of fueling.
Can't be the tuning. :confused:

I would imagine it would.

Well there is your answer. You would agree then that these heads are not the cause of your performance to date, but rather that your combination was able to achieve the performance it has DESPITE the 1.835" valves.

Theres prolly still more in it, and when you reach a point that it can't make more power with what you got, you know switching the heads will free up even more power.

Well there is your answer. You would agree then that these heads are not the cause of your performance to date, but rather that your combination was able to achieve the performance it has DESPITE the 1.835" valves.

Theres prolly still more in it, and when you reach a point that it can't make more power with what you got, you know switching the heads will free up even more power.
I don't think you understand the answer I'm looking for. Why has the car been able to do 8s even though the heads only have 1.835" valves?

I'm well aware that a number of changes would increase performance. That is not, and has never been in doubt.

Come on don, i read both pages and still you havent coughed up the answer. what is it?

the superior aerodynamics of the buick grand national,and the fact that you race your car on a downhill track;)

kidding aside,im sure that 91mm turbo at 31 psi is providing lots of air and easily has more in itfrom the gears,boost,meth,rpm i think that everything you listed is working together and that it is not just one part.from the gears,boost,meth,rpm

all kidding aside,that 91mm is providing lots of air at 31psi.from the gears,meth,boost,rpm,i think all the parts are working together and that its just not one part.

kidding aside,im sure that 91mm turbo at 31 psi is providing lots of air and easily has more in itfrom the gears,boost,meth,rpm i think that everything you listed is working together and that it is not just one part.from the gears,boost,meth,rpm

Come on don, i read both pages and still you havent coughed up the answer. what is it?
Not kidding around, guys. The info is correct and the question is sincere. I'm looking for the answer. There are plenty of capable people on this site. Someone has got to be able to come up with an answer.

Not kidding around, guys. The info is correct and the question is sincere. I'm looking for the answer. There are plenty of capable people on this site. Someone has got to be able to come up with an answer.

Donnie, I have never knocked you or your combo over the years and have tried to give you advice based on my own past experience that I though would be helpful. I can appreciate that you beat to a different drum as I'm not one to follow the crowd either and I also like to think outside the box. You my friend are pretty far outside the box and there is no SIMPLE answer for your questions.

That being said lets look at the issue. You feel the heads are holding you back? What would you see if this where the case? You keep talking boost numbers but to me your intake boost pressure is probably one of the most irrelevant numbers to be concerned about and is really the only metric you have given us. What is the system doing? What do the turbo outlet temps look like? What does the exhaust back pressure look like? What does your fuel consumption look like at higher RPM? You say you shift at 7400 and max at 7800 but is the motor making power there? Where is peak TQ and peak HP and how are you making that determination? Do you have any accelerometer data? With this combo what is your target trap speed and rpm and what are your ultimate ET goals. Is the car geared correctly for these goals and is the turbo properly matched for the power levels you are trying to accomplish? What does the compressor map look like and where are you as far as the pressure ratio is concerned?

You keep talking about the heads and I think most who look at your combo would agree there are multiple other issues we would dive into first before the heads. IMO Cliff's right at the point you are at a 2.10 valve wouldn't make a difference. BTW the "opinions" I gave on header design where based on experience and data I have gathered on my car not just opinion. I don't know for sure what was done to Bob Peterson's M&A heads but I would bet they weren't anything exciting and nothing more than a nicely ported set.

My friend toms car went 9.3 @ 148 in bg with m&A's, old design 88. This was on about 23 psi and e85. Car is 3510lbs, no exotic parts. The heads are out of the box with a $500 port job. Unfortunately a piston broke (not sure why yet) and cut the quest for 8's short. It will be back together possibly this month.....if not it will be in the spring (local track closes end of this month.)

Status
Not open for further replies.