Time for a cam change?

gnfanatic

Hey guys, I have been using a ATR 206/206 Hydraulic roller cam for the past 6 years now. Over the years I upgraded my combo but left the cam alone. So what it be beneficial to update the cam to maybe a 212/212? I am wondering if my 206/206 is holding me back?

My current mod list:
70GTQ P trim
Champion alm heads, ported and polished
Roller Rockers
231 CI
fm intercooler
PTC converter coming in
dist setup, fast system

Any thoughts?

Havent bothered going due to having the wrong converter. Not to mention fac driveshaft scared me. I just ordered the converter and in about 2 months will have driveshaft. car made 590 rwhp on pump gas.

I'd change cams if I was looking to maximize it. You will need to throw boost at it. It wouldn't be an off the shelf job either. Order a billet 218/218 from dls, get 885 lifters, and get your heads altered to accept PAC 1203's. Order your converter to flash to 5500@27-28psi. The car will be an animal. You will have 9.50 power if the tune is there and the engine has over 9:1 CR. Btw there is no such thing as a gtq p trim. It's either gtq or it's p trim. A p trim will limit you to around 800hp. The gtq will get the backpressure down if you work it hard.N

Hey Bison. Whats a pac 1203's? my heads were surfaced for cometics. I "heard" 218/218 is not street friendly? Sorry about the housing ,. it is a GTQ. BTW, is a 3inch DP for this combo OK?? or I need at least a 3.5?

PAC 1203 is a double spring that will not coil bind on a .590 lift application and will provide enough pressure to run 140+mph. The 3"dp will cause some restriction if you get the power up there. The flange can be opened up near the top to help the flow. Your 70gtq is not street friendly. If youre going to use less cam than I rec'd I'd go with a lot less turbo. That cam will fill the cylinders really well between 5500 and 6200. Right where you need if you are running the 70gtq where it hits hard on a 230-260ci engine@ 28-30psi, ptc 9.5", 218/218dls, and good tune and things will start happening really fast.

Thanks man, I forgot to mention to you that I have Ottos old champ heads from his gn before he sold it. I believe they are dual spring. I am going to order the cam. i already have 885 lifters. They are quiet. can i re-use to save the coin?

Thanks man, I forgot to mention to you that I have Ottos old champ heads from his gn before he sold it. I believe they are dual spring. I am going to order the cam. i already have 885 lifters. They are quiet. can i re-use to save the coin?

it must be his really old heads because i have the r heads that were on his stage 2. The valvetrain wont be quiet with 218 cam i rec'd

hmmm, this was when he sold the buick and bought the TA. I remember he damaged one of the heads at an event. since I am replacing the converter I mind as well pull the motor to do a cam swap. Whats your take about keeping my lifters?

hmmm, this was when he sold the buick and bought the TA. I remember he damaged one of the heads at an event. since I am replacing the converter I mind as well pull the motor to do a cam swap. Whats your take about keeping my lifters?
There is only one lifter that can be used with the cam i stated. The 885's you have as long as they arent worn out. If you go with another more aggressive cam you would order solid lifters.

OP, my combo is similar to yours with the exception of the cam. I have a DLS 218/218 Hyd roller. It is perfectly streetable in opinion. My turbo is a 70 p trim from the late 90s. Bison, why is it that the 885 lifters are the only lifters that are recommended? I have the TA/morrel lifters in it now. Haven't really ran it balls out yet but I haven't noticed any downsides. Also a single spring was specd and installed for my heads by DLS. Is the PAC springs and 885s a better setup ? Thanks.

thanks guys. Bison, didnt realize roller lifters can wear out. Will check mine out when motor is out. My heads def are dual spring. Jeremy, your car has a nice lope/sound due to cam?? thanks

OP, my combo is similar to yours with the exception of the cam. I have a DLS 218/218 Hyd roller. It is perfectly streetable in opinion. My turbo is a 70 p trim from the late 90s. Bison, why is it that the 885 lifters are the only lifters that are recommended? I have the TA/morrel lifters in it now. Haven't really ran it balls out yet but I haven't noticed any downsides. Also a single spring was specd and installed for my heads by DLS. Is the PAC springs and 885s a better setup ? Thanks.
Because they are slow to bleed down and wont collapse under heavy spring pressure and will make more power than any other roller lifter. The PAC springs 885 lifters are fine up to 800hp so far from what ive done. You should be around 700whp/5600rpm@29psi with that combo on a 9:1 stock stroke engine with 20* advance and conservative a/f targets.

thats mucho power. RPE built my shortblock but it only has steel mains and std stock crank, diamond pistons. I will probably break something ,lol

thats mucho power. RPE built my shortblock but it only has steel mains and std stock crank, diamond pistons. I will probably break something ,lol
I would go with a smaller turbo then. It would spool a lot faster and still make the same power. If you keep it in the 130mph range it will last a long long time.

thanks guys. Bison, didnt realize roller lifters can wear out. Will check mine out when motor is out. My heads def are dual spring. Jeremy, your car has a nice lope/sound due to cam?? thanks

It has a pretty good sound to it. It is idling at about 925 rpm. It's running through a 3.5 inch downpipe I built and a dual 3 inch exhaust. I can try to upload a video of it tomorrow.

I would go with a smaller turbo then. It would spool a lot faster and still make the same power. If you keep it in the 130mph range it will last a long long time.

hmmm, not sure what to do now. smaller turbo and keep the 206/206 or bigger cam and keep my turbo.

Good question. I have been out of the loop for awhile now. I dont even know what the latest turbo's are