(Timing Chain Broke) ProGear double roller

I broke a Pro Gear chain set shortly after I replaced an early Rollmaster chain that broke.

We have replaced RM and PG sets we had in stock with the IWIS chains like was mentioned above.

Unless the chain was stamped "IWIS", I would not use it. These chains are made off-shore, in Germany I think or close by?

My preventive maintenance schedule includes replacing the timing chain and ring and pinion after a given number of passes! :)

I speak only from my experiences as I talked with many racers around the country that were breaking timing chains, but no one ever surpassed the number of chains that I have broken?

Our race season is about 10 months per year and was at the track almost every weekend and would have at least 150 passes a season pushing 600+ RWHP and never made it to over 50 passes w/o a broken chain.

So I tried and broke EVERY brand chain set available for a V-6 Buick, and some of them twice. :(

When I hooked up with Cloyes a few years ago, they were just testing the IWIS chain and had very good results. So far, so have I, and found it is easier and less expensive to use this chain than go with a gear or belt drive.

Everyone has to make their own choice, and this is why I personally went this direction.

Nick, I may be calling you for a chain tomorrow!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'll be checking what I have in mine. I know it's a Progear 3000 set and its at least 5 yrs old now.

Yours looks like a different brand Rick?

Last edited:
The replacement from Weber is a pro gear and has the same chain and gears as the one I broke. So It was prolly a pro gear as well. I just received a rollmaster chain from Nick and it :poop:'s all over the pro gear. :cool:

Rick

You guys are making me nervous. I have been running the Pro Gear pieces with a billet roller since 2009 but have changed the chain every other winter as preventative maintenance.
Just to confirm, will the Iwis chain work with the PG gears?

New chain ordered from Nick Micale. Just need time to install when it gets here.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

This is a rolon chain.

Attachments

• 1408843636767.jpg
    1408843636767.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 277
What do the series 2 3800 engines use, ate they interchangeable and do they have luck?

Ends up I did smack a couple valves. Strangely enough the car showed no real signs. The only way I found out is when I took them apart. Went to touch up the valves on the grinder and low and behold. I have 1 bent intake and 1 bent exhaust.

All you guys who said it had to smack were right!