Timing chain jumping a tooth. What are the symtoms?

N2ORBT

Did a WOT blast and had an intercooler hose pop off at 20 psi. Car fell on its face and did a nose dive like someone turned off the car. Now the car feels real low on power. Does not miss or run weird, just feels like I'm missing 80hp. Checked the plugs, spark, vacuum hoses, fuel pressure, wires, ran a digital temp gauge on all headers, no codes, oil looks great and not losing coolant. Thinking maybe I jumped a tooth. Can u guys chime in on what are the symptoms of a tooth jump on a timing chain?

Did a WOT blast and had an intercooler hose pop off at 20 psi. Car fell on its face and did a nose dive like someone turned off the car. Now the car feels real low on power. Does not miss or run weird, just feels like I'm missing 80hp. Checked the plugs, spark, vacuum hoses, fuel pressure, wires, ran a digital temp gauge on all headers, no codes, oil looks great and not losing coolant. Thinking maybe I jumped a tooth. Can u guys chime in on what are the symptoms of a tooth jump on a timing chain?

In all the years I have been working on Buicks going back into the V-8 days, I have never seen or heard of the timing chain jumping a tooth? :confused:

Even a very worn nylon factory gear will not allow a chain to slip, but can be worn enough to change cam timing.

A sudden change in power like you experienced most likely is a mechanical problem, so start by checking those items. A vacuum reading and compression test should be first on your list.

If it backfired, the cam sensor rotor could be damaged or a pushrod bent?

A scan tool will tell you about various sensor conditions.

I once had a Pontiac jump a tooth. It was running fine when I shut it down & would not restart.