Timing on a newly rebuilt motor, HELP!

1of1547

Village Idiot!!!
Over the last two weekends we have been assembling and installing my motor. Tonight we tried to fire it up for the first time. It acted like the timing was advanced. It would be turning over two or three times fine but then it would start to crank hard like the timing was advanced. I set the cam sensor with Caspers tool while on the engine stand.It has a Comp Cam 212 that is set at zero on the timing chain. We thought it may be 180 degrees out. So we pulled the cam sensor out and reset it with the cam tool 180 degrees out. But it still did the same thing. I also tried changing chips, but still had the same problem. As far as I can tell every thing timed at zero. We pulled the valve cover on checked top dead to the balancer, again everything looked fine. Are we just over looking something or is something wrong? Before the rebuild I ran both chips (Lubrant and Reds) and everything was fine. Is it to much to ask to have a good running T/R with out a million headaches?

is it firing or no? shot in the dark, pull the cap off the cam sensor and make sure the interruptor ring is tight and in the slot....

If you find the problem, LET ME KNOW! My (piece of junk) engine from he!! is doing the exact same thing. If the crank sensor is disconnected, the engine cranks normally, but when connected, does the same as yours, several normal turns, then it cranks like it has 15:1 compression...

TIA,

Tonight I replaced the starter because it was sounding a little weak. Before I put the cross over pipe on I cranked it over a couple of times. Everything seemed fine. So I put everything back together and tried it again. Same thing, it will turn over a couple of times and it will start to lock up. Then we took the plug out of the crank sensor like Russ did and it spun over fine. The same if you disconnect the computer. We checked the spark and have plenty. When we pulled the plugs out they were soaked. I have 009's so it seems to be getting plenty of gas. We also did a compression test on it. The drivers side averaged 140-150 and the passengers side averaged 130-135. I guess I will have to pull the front of the motor apart and check the timing chain. It just seems like it has too much timing.

Have you checked for spark at the plugs? Doesn't sound like it's getting it.

Is it possible the motor struggles after the first few cranks because the cylinders are getting fuel(which doesn't compress like air.) Which means the injectors are working.
Unplug the the crank sensor, and the injectors don't fire, right? Thus, no fuel in the cylinders.

This is making me wonder if the EEPROM is being bypassed and the calpak is running things. I wish I had the energy to pull my fuel rail again and re-install the stock injectors. You've got 43#'s and I've got 50#'s, so maybe our motors are being flooded by the calpak's stock limp-home configuration. Where are all the gurus when you need them? :rolleyes:

What all forces the ECM to limp-home mode anyway? And how do you tell if it is indeed in limp-home?

I had the same problem with you guys. It would have a hard time to crank and tried to fire up a few times. What I finally did is i started to turn the cam sensor a quarter inch at a time clockwise with the cam bolt snug enough to turn it and it fired right up. I then used the timing method from the turbo regal website with a volt meter to get it exactly dead on and ran great. I wish I knew how to set it from the begining. It's probably not your starter or battery, it's just firing at the wrong time and working against itself. double check your firing order too. You probably have spark if it is harder to crank with the cam sensor connected.
Good Luck

George

Hey Doug? Any luck yet? I'm "waiting on parts" so I can start swapping stuff out...

Later,

I finally got it started tonight. :D I had two two problems. I am running a dyna gear timing chain. It has two sets of timing marks on the crank gear. We chose the ones on the teeth and not the ones on the key. The other problem was exactly what George said ( THANKS GEORGE ) the cam sensor. I used a Caspers tool to set it. And it still would not fire. But my buddy kept turning the cam sensor and fired right up. I hope this helps you Russ.

Hey Doug,

Can you elaborate on the timing gear marks? I too have a Dynagear, but it has 3 installable positions (2° retarded, 0°, 2° advanced). All I did was pull off the gears to do Dave Weber's oiling mods (never moved the crank or cam), then stuck it back together as it came apart. I did degree in the cam on initial install, so I know it runs there.

As for the cam sensor, glad to hear it! I've set mine several times in the past, and set it the same as before, but it's still not starting... Guess I'll just wait on parts.

Thanks!

Hey Russ -

Just to let you in on one of my boo-boos...

I had set my cam sensor several times and done it right each time, so I thought I had the procedure nailed. Which then bit me, as the next time I did it from memory and couldn't get the thing to start. Problem was: I was turning the cam sensor clockwise as I was looking at the tool. As soon as it lit up I tightened it down and tried to crank it up. Did it multiple times just to be sure, and each time no go. Finally reread the instructions really close (I had skimmed over them a few times before as I was doing all this). And what I missed was that I had to go past the window, and then back up to the right point. In other words, my indicating light was off, turned the sensor clockwise until the light went on and then went off again, and then turned it back counterclockwise until the light just came on. And THAT is the point to tighten it down. (This wasn't using the Caspers tool BTW, but another tool I have).

I was so dang sure that I knew how to do it, having done it in the past...

could you have made a similar mistake?

John Estill

I am sorry I didn' t get back to you earlier Russ. We have a big car show next weekend an I am trying to get it together for it. My crank sprocket was a style one. It had three marks by the teeth and the keyway. We originally timed it with the teeth. But after reading the instructions, we sould of used the keyway. So we tore it apart and retimed it at the keyway. But it still did not want to start. That is when we messed with the cam sensor. and then it fired up.:D

Naaah, couldn't be THAT simple... could it? :eek: I'm back on nights, but will try it on my days off.

I seem to remember a thread a few months ago about bigger injectors liking a different number than 25° ATDC - anyone have any input on this??? Whenever the engine did start (seems like a LONG time ago :confused: ), it always idled crappily, so I'm thinking I always had a marginal component somewhere, maybe the "new" parts will solve that too.