You can type here any text you want

Timing set advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
As some of you may know I'm re-assembling my numbers matching block for my 86.

Here's my problem....
I wanted to use the new 9 key timing set from TA. It features billet gears, 9 key crank sprocket, NON double roller silent chain (using the stock tensioner).
It seems however that they ordered very few made for the even fire motor, so they have no more.

It seems the only way to get a nice adjustable crank sprocket it to go with a double roller.
I had hoped to not have to use a double roller in this motor, in order to avoid roller issues (noise/slack/etc.)

Any other options anyone know of???? Your thoughts????

if you don't need to adjust the cam, then a single keyway set should work?

B

Well, the reason I wanted to have some adjustment was to advance the cam to try and gain some bottom end grunt.

most cams have some advance ground into them. You wanted to advance it further than that? If you have not bought the cam, you can order them any way you want.

Also, in talking the KD many years ago, he said you could adjust the timing on a stock style gear set by slotting the holes in the cam gear.

Bob

I was planning to use that TA gear for my next build, so if they make any more, let me know.

B

most cams have some advance ground into them. You wanted to advance it further than that? If you have not bought the cam, you can order them any way you want.

Also, in talking the KD many years ago, he said you could adjust the timing on a stock style gear set by slotting the holes in the cam gear.

Bob

I dont' know if it has any advance built in or not. It's a Postons 107 (202/202)cam. I degreed it and it looks like it's at 107, but I wouldn't know how to determine if there's any advance built in. I'm still a rooky with this degree wheel.

I don't have an actual cam card. But here's what I do have

POSTONS GN 107 T Cam Specs.

254/254..202/202(.050)...430/430..Idle to 5600rpm

Lobe Center 107
Advertised duration
Intake/Exhaust 254/254

Duration @ .050
Intake/ Exhaust 202/202

Valve Lift
Intake/Exhaust 430/430

Power Range
Idle-5600
Max. RPM

Dave,
Iv'e been using and running 9 keyway Rollmaster chains in many engines up here and there is zip noise from them and yes they stretch alitte right off the bat but never get any worse and Iv'e had ZERO trouble with one to this day. My last roller engine had 34,000 miles on it and many passes and is still running around in AL. You'll have all the adjustments you'd ever want. Besides you can throw that damn tensioner away !! Just some food for thought??

Dave,
Iv'e been using and running 9 keyway Rollmaster chains in many engines up here and there is zip noise from them and yes they stretch alitte right off the bat but never get any worse and Iv'e had ZERO trouble with one to this day. My last roller engine had 34,000 miles on it and many passes and is still running around in AL. You'll have all the adjustments you'd ever want. Besides you can throw that damn tensioner away !! Just some food for thought??

Thanks Mike.

It's looking like that's the route I'll have to take if I can find a decent sale price. I've exhausted my search for the TA 1522B setup.

Im running a pro gear billet double roller and it has adv and retard slots in it as well. Im running straight up tho believe its increments of 4 degrees per slot...just another option

where is the intake opening at .050" lift?

where is the intake opening at .050" lift?

As I said I'm a rooky with the degree wheel..... so...starting a 0 degrees, at TDC compression. I can turn the crank all the way around one revolution, and as the intake lifter/pushrod comes up to .050" I got to 005 degrees.

Make sense?

Thanks Mike.

It's looking like that's the route I'll have to take if I can find a decent sale price. I've exhausted my search for the TA 1522B setup.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones who got one....bought mine back mid December. Can't believe they don't have any left? Surely they must have plans on doing another production run sometime soon?

It is a nice set up......

As I said I'm a rooky with the degree wheel..... so...starting a 0 degrees, at TDC compression. I can turn the crank all the way around one revolution, and as the intake lifter/pushrod comes up to .050" I got to 005 degrees.

Make sense?

Dave, how are you verifying you are at TDC?

Did you do a piston stop method and go both directions and split the difference and mark that as TDC on your wheel?

Also, you mean TDC on the exhaust stroke right?

TDC on compression.......One crank revolution after compression with the piston back at TDC is preparing for the exhaust stroke......better not be intake or you have problems.

Dave, how are you verifying you are at TDC?

Did you do a piston stop method and go both directions and split the difference and mark that as TDC on your wheel?

Also, you mean TDC on the exhaust stroke right?

TDC on compression.......One crank revolution after compression with the piston back at TDC is preparing for the exhaust stroke......better not be intake or you have problems.

I'm using the same gauge magnetically mounted to the block and bringing the piston up and watch the gauge to indicate TDC compression (no lifter activity), and then zero'd the degree wheel.

What am I doing wrong? I'll have to re verify that I am in fact using the intake lobe.

Anybody want to take a stab at writing a set of instructions on how to use a degree wheel? Please?

I'm pretty confident that I know how to degree this simple non adjustable set that's on there now. I keep coming up with the same answer (106.5) which is close enough to the cam spec of 107 to make me happy

Here's how I verify TDC compression.

100_0896.JPG

100_0895.JPG

And here's how I'm degreeing the intake lobe. Starting at TDC I rotate the engine CW until I start seeing the intake lobe raising the gauge, and I stop at .050 and read the wheel (about 007 degrees), and I keep on going through max lift and down the other side to find/verify base circle and come back up that side to the .050 point and measure (about 207 degrees).

100_0894.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0894.JPG
    100_0894.JPG
    227.9 KB · Views: 44
Back