You can type here any text you want

To front mount or not to front mount; that is the question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

0-60n4

I finally had some time to work all the bugs out and got the GN running pretty good. I was thinking my next step might be a front mount IC and radiator/fan upgrade. It's primarily a weekend street car. No plans to take her back to the track but you never know. I think the best time it ran years ago was 11.6 but not sure about that.

From my build, is a front mount advised?

I just did a search on front mounts and I was surprised how many used ones are or have been for sale which makes me wonder, why people are removing them. Maybe I don't need one.

Your recommendations are appreciated.

Its a personal preference. I like how it frees up space in front of the motor making it easier to work on things.

Yup. I am with Mark, frees things up under the hood but I probably don't really need it with my combo

I'm thinking more from a performance view point. I agree it opens up space in the engine compartment and they do look really cool. But in my mind, I can't justify the expense if it's not going to give me true noticeable performance improvement.

I can't justify the expense if it's not going to give me true noticeable performance improvement.
save your $ then a stock location intercooler can make a ton of power.now if you are going to put together a pure pump gas combo a huge front mount will allow you to push the tune a little more.

save your $ then a stock location intercooler can make a ton of power.now if you are going to put together a pure pump gas combo a huge front mount will allow you to push the tune a little more.

A lot more actually! My CAS V2 allows me to easily run 21# of boost on my driver. On straight 93 octane, no ally.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

That is really a personal preference because I've seen many good stock location larger intercoolers. Depending on your ultimate goal with the car a stock location will do just fine especially if you're spraying alky

I will be completely pump gas, no alky. So when you say stock location, are you saying stock IC or the longer IC in the stock location? Currently I have the stock IC with the DUC inlet and the larger scoop on the bottom.

Without alky, the biggest problem with a stock location IC is heat soak. I'd go FMIC for sure with pump gas. I've got some threads a few years ago trying to get the most on pump gas and was able to pick up power after going to a bigger turbo and from a CAS V4 stock location IC to a FMIC.

I think I was around 12.0 on street tires and mid 11s on just Nittos with pump gas. Would have been well into the 10s on alky or race gas.

You want to keep the heat down to maximize power on pump gas, so thats why a bigger turbo running less boost along with good heads and good IC will help. And by good IC you'd want a big FMIC with little pressure drop and good surface area for cooling so the turbo doesn't have to work as hard.

I will be completely pump gas, no alky. So when you say stock location, are you saying stock IC or the longer IC in the stock location? Currently I have the stock IC with the DUC inlet and the larger scoop on the bottom.

Your gonna want to get alky to have fun with the car

A lot more actually! My CAS V2 allows me to easily run 21# of boost on my driver. On straight 93 octane, no ally.
that's sweet!dave do you guys have ethanol in your 93 or is it pure 93?is it right to assume stock motor and a 44?

No slam to GN1 ...guy local has a low ten second car on corn, 120's, champ iron heads, 6466, etc and GN1 SLIC was causing IAT to rise over 120 by the end of the 1/4 with amb in the 75-85 degree range. He went to a RJC FMIC and the air temps have dropped drastically. No pro or con to either product just some real world. Now with that said if you arent running low tens then some of the SLIC's will work well for you.

Last edited:
So when you say stock location, are you saying stock IC or the longer IC in the stock location? Currently I have the stock IC with the DUC inlet and the larger scoop on the bottom.
I mean the longer one,however what you have wont slow you down on race gas or alky injection but you will need octane to really see the potential of the combo.

No pro or con to either product just some real world. Now with that said if you arent running low tens then some of the SLIC's will work well for you.
hmm interesting,i have seen/driven 93/alky cars and race gas cars going a lot faster with iats much lower on slic I have no data on the gn1 slic though,perhaps that turbo is really heating the air up and needed a different approach.

Good conversation, everyone. Thanks.

So I'm convinced I want to replace my stock IC. Now just need to decide if I want a larger stock location IC or a large front mount. I may add alky some day. I'm half way convinced and I'll give that more thought later. Since I don't plan on a lot of 1/4 mile track runs and don't plan to get in the 10's and the FMIC will also require a larger radiator and fans which doubles the cost, I'm leaning towards a SLIC. Unless there are strong arguments otherwise.

I'm looking at the stretched sock location IC's on the GN1 web site and Gbodyparts web site. GN1 is $600 and Gbodyparts is $750. They appear to be exactly the same. Or am I missing something different on the Gbodyparts unit that makes up the extra $150.00?

I went with a front mount intercooler back in 1998 because i wanted to have it outside of the hot engine bay so that it could take advantage of the cooler outside air and perform at it's best. When i bought mine it cost me $1000.00 and was one of the smallest available but it works great. I can run my 6776 turbo at 21 lbs of boost on 93 octane without any knock retard on the street, i do have a dual nozzle alkycontrol kit installed but never turn it on at my current boost level.

If you can afford it put it outside the hot engine bay,and like already said it will clean up the area and give you some more room to work if needed.

Back