You can type here any text you want

To front mount or not to front mount; that is the question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
If you're going under the hood for all that trouble to put an intercooler on you need to go ahead and put the alky system on as well.....
I'll save that for a later project when I get bored with the new found IC power. Maybe someday.

You should get way more power from alky on a stock intercooler than just a front mount on pump gas on a stock engine. You could run 24-25 psi boost on alky no problem.

Alky kit from Julio Aka akly control will give you more bank for your money than anything else you can do with a stock motor to make power. You might get 2to 3 psi more boost with just a intercooler change and spend around the same money give a take a few $ ... But with Alky you can go 25 to 30 psi ...

If it was me I would spend the money on Alky kit than if you really wanted a front mount cooler I get that next. But don't need it with Alky on a stick motor. Just my .02. Good luck buddy

You should get way more power from alky on a stock intercooler than just a front mount on pump gas on a stock engine. You could run 24-25 psi boost on alky no problem.
^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

Bryan

SLIC, dual nozzle Alky Control, pump gas and running 9.9's @ 136+. What more do you NEED?
Be very careful on tune up. Start slow. I have built more engines getting there than I care to count.

Alky kit from Julio Aka akly control will give you more bank for your money than anything else you can do with a stock motor to make power. You might get 2to 3 psi more boost with just a intercooler change and spend around the same money give a take a few $ ... But with Alky you can go 25 to 30 psi ...

Ya but an intercooler doesn't have and expensive pump that can fail and WILL need replacement/repair every couple years or so.

Ya but an intercooler doesn't have and expensive pump that can fail and WILL need replacement/repair every couple years or so.
dave with respect,with the power that can be made with an alky kit, a rebuild on the pump is a very small price to pay .the alkycontrol systems I have seen have been super reliable.i can appreciate and have seen pure pump gas builds but that has its risks also.

Just put the front mount on it then move on......once you have it on there and drive it ..you won't second guess buying it.

What also happens when an alky failure occurs during aggressive driving?? An expensive engine/turbo may need repair. Alky's specific heat is significant and it burns on a very wide range of air/fuel ratios. What ties the alky required air/fuel requirement to the powertrain controller / engine management system? How do you effectively spark the motor (WOT ADV) effectively with 2 different burn rates and burn initialization event timings? There is a requirement of "total air/fuel" which exists in the chamber regardless of the amount of alky being supplied. I have seem some folks wash down cylinder bores and lose "pump efficiency" through alcoholism. M1 can be caustic to certain materials. A lot of folks go very fast on alky and more power to them, but I have also seen some of the damage caused directly/ indirectly from it's use. I have not seen relative component longevity from extensive use of alky. Corn is different since this is a consistent mix (ethanol & gas) and can be related to the commanded air fuel control algorithm. If I'm racing I use race gas. If I'm driving I use 93 / 100 unleaded possibly with boostane/ torco additive with a street calibration and modest boost.

I ran 10's with a leaking pump, no big deal. Just swap it out. I don't think it completely fails, just not a good idea to neglect it. If you can't remember how long ago it was you replaced it on a race car, then its time to replace it.

Replace the pump evey 4 years and you should be good. Cheap investment considering all the thousands we have in our motors....

What also happens when an alky failure occurs during aggressive driving?? An expensive engine/turbo may need repair. Alky's specific heat is significant and it burns on a very wide range of air/fuel ratios. What ties the alky required air/fuel requirement to the powertrain controller / engine management system? How do you effectively spark the motor (WOT ADV) effectively with 2 different burn rates and burn initialization event timings? There is a requirement of "total air/fuel" which exists in the chamber regardless of the amount of alky being supplied. I have seem some folks wash down cylinder bores and lose "pump efficiency" through alcoholism. M1 can be caustic to certain materials. A lot of folks go very fast on alky and more power to them, but I have also seen some of the damage caused directly/ indirectly from it's use. I have not seen relative component longevity from extensive use of alky. Corn is different since this is a consistent mix (ethanol & gas) and can be related to the commanded air fuel control algorithm. If I'm racing I use race gas. If I'm driving I use 93 / 100 unleaded possibly with boostane/ torco additive with a street calibration and modest boost.

Awwwwww, you made some good points and almost had me until you mentioned running race gas and pump gas. While using alky does take some extra monitoring, changing back and forth from a race gas tune to a pump gas tube involves a lot of work too. You'd need to drain all the pump gas out 100% to optimize the race gas tune, and race gas eats up O2 sensors and spark plugs so you'd have to check on them frequently. E85 seems like a good way to go but unfortunately its not available to a lot of people or not within a convenient distance. No matter what, when you start making a lot of power lots of stuff can fail and only by monitoring it all closely can you hopefully prevent a problem.

Going with the front mount may not be the best bang for the buck, but it should still help and alky may not be the best for everyone if you want to keep it simple. Like I posted before, search for some of my old threads to see what kind of tune I used to get the most out of pump gas with a TT chip.

What also happens when an alky failure occurs during aggressive driving??
the same thing that happens when any fuel pump fails.i have seen more walboro pumps fails than alky pumps and the alky pumps come slow up to pressure when they are neglected.

Back