You can type here any text you want

TR heads....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Turbo6Smackdown

Are our heads intercooled 109 specific or what. What year range were our heads used thru, and did any other 3.8's use our heads?

They are the same on all 3.8's for the same year NA or turbo. All production heads flow very close to one another from 1979 up. Very little difference over the years.

So any heads, off of any buick 3.8, from 79 up, regardless of aspiration eh? I'm assuming this cross fitting of heads ends at 87?

So any heads, off of any buick 3.8, from 79 up, regardless of aspiration eh? I'm assuming this cross fitting of heads ends at 87?

Actually cross fitting ends in 89 with the TTA even though they used a different head and exhaust manifold design. You could put the TTA engine in a g body with the early heads and have a slighly higher compression ratio. I had a set of the casting ending in 6293 on a couple engines that worked like a champ.

Actually cross fitting ends in 89 with the TTA even though they used a different head and exhaust manifold design. You could put the TTA engine in a g body with the early heads and have a slighly higher compression ratio. I had a set of the casting ending in 6293 on a couple engines that worked like a champ.

It should be the other way around i think. Fwd heads on a early rwd. Smaller cc chambers. TTA had a bigger piston dish volume.

It should be the other way around i think. Fwd heads on a early rwd. Smaller cc chambers. TTA had a bigger piston dish volume.

I'll give you a little better break down on the heads.

All of the 3.8 based heads will physically bolt on a RWD block. The diffs are in the placement of the ports.

If it's a 3.0 or 3.8 first gen fwd, it's a direct bolt on head. Exact same design but may have some issues with the accessory brackets.

If it's a 3800 then there will be minor diffs in intake port alignment and the exhaust will be off. Simular to the TTA head in design.

If it's a 3800 series II head then it's configured exactly like a Stage II head and will require a custom made intake or an off center Stage II intake. If someone would make an intake it would be a great up-grade BTW.:biggrin:

And yes, I have compaired them side by side as well as compairing the head gaskets and placing them on a RWD block.

I beleive 3800 heads on a 3.8 block would require a different cam too. The valve arrangement is different.

Dave

I got one of my heads off a 3.0L Century, same 8445 number, worked good.

Would an intake like this one work with the newer style 3.8 heads?

(see attachment)

It would seem like the newer heads (1988 and newer?) would work better than the older ones since that one pair of ports is not siamesed.

Attachments

• intake top.JPG
    intake top.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 187
Just so I'm clear bison and Charlie, the stage 2 heads from zzp I believe and intense stage 3 turbo cam from my Buddys 04 gsx will or will not work on my car. The block in it is actually from a 06 gtp

I ask bc he's demodding and he went 11.4@123 on those heads with a t66 on 19psi

Back