You can type here any text you want

TR pics from Daytona Speedway

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

batmansbuick

Superhero
Thanks to Irela Palumbo for the pics. Thanks to everyone who came out, we had around 15 Turbo cars, including some rare T's and Limiteds. The parking pad area reserved for TR's worked great.

Attachments

• track.jpg
    track.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 131
  • gnrow.jpg
    gnrow.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 126
  • lowgn.jpg
    lowgn.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 121
I really like the way the "lowered" GN looks, do you know what was done to it, ie notched frame, dropped spindles...?

HOW

I'll check with him and get back with you. There's some custom work done including the wide stocker rims.

Thats my GN. Ya, a lot work. Mostly old school. The wheels are widened stockers. The fronts are 8" with a 4" BS and the tires are 225/50. The rears are 10" with a 6.125" BS and the tires in the photo are 275/60 retreads.It still has the stock frame, no notching. Back around 92-93 I wanted to see if it was possible to build a budget 8.5" rear that would fit a G-body with out having to do a lot a fabricating. Stock rears were trading at around $1K and with the wheels I have about that much invested in this one.I used to know the guys that ran HP Motorsports in Omaha and I have one of their prototype rear arm kits on it. I used to be into the old GS455's and I built up the rear axle using the 8.5" out of a 72 Skylark. It has the B-O style bearing retainers so no C-clip eliminators are needed. It has 3.42's and a Eaton style posi in it. Now this rear is 3" longer than the stocker so after some measuring I determined that a 10" wheel would fit under the sheetmetal. I used the BS to make up for the extra length of the axle tubes. And since it has the old 4 bolt axle flanges I bolted up 11" drum brakes from a 77 ElCamino. If the tune is right you can powerbrake it up past 20 pounds without the tires busting loose. The springs on all 4 corners are the 1LE springs were cut until the proper stance was achieved.No dropped spindles were needed. When I first did this I ran some 285/40's on the back and had the rear sitting another 2" closer to the ground. I set the car up mainly for autocrossing and many years ago it was competive with the F-bodies and Mustangs. I haven't ran it at all in the last 6 years. It is need of a complete suspension overhaul. I'd like to do an air bag set up as I have read at lot of good things about it but it looks like it might get a stock restifaction unless I win the lottery or something. This a picture of it back around 1997 with the shorter rear tires on it.

Attachments

• 86 GN Front Shot.jpg
    86 GN Front Shot.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 117
Eric,

I really like the overall stance of your car. You've really hit the target with the wheels, tires, and just the right amount of lowering all the way around.

I have a set of 275 60's GoodYears at the rears on my 87, with the stock size on the fronts, and IMO it looks pretty good but there was something still missing but seeing yours it is exactly the look/stance that I'm gonna have on mine. Guess I'm gonna have to get the sawzall out and start trimming the springs :>).

Can you give me an estimate as to how much you trimmed off the springs?

Thanks for the information/reply, I do appreciate.

Jerry

About 1 coil off the rears and almost 2 coils of the front. I did it by trail and error. About 1/4 of a coil at a time. I let the car settle after every fitting. I used a fiberglass cut off wheel mounted to my polisher and it would take about about 5 seconds to cut. After almost 10 years the fronts are just starting to sag a little. Next time around I'm going with something closer to the stock rate. Those 1LE springs are brutal on my body on those long road trips.

Back