TR Tinted Lights, Smoothed Bumper, and Fiberglass Fillers

You can try brass as well. The copper might have been too thin if it stuck. The copper and brass release the heat very fast and shouldn't stick but I usually use a block of brass and/or copper. I weld a lot at work and sometimes here at home so I have learned a lot and different tricks to fill in big gaps. A mig is the easiest and best way to fill in gaps. Maybe next time try turning down the heat. Whatever works for you is the best way to do it.

Just my two cents.

Getting closer to having the front end done.:biggrin:

Attachments

• gnbumper4.jpg
    gnbumper4.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1,704
Looks great. Wish they sold smooth steel bumpers. Love the smooth look.

For an even smoother look, remove the turn signal bezels and make a larger lense that will fit flush with the bumper. Here is what it looks like...

DSCF0029.JPG

Image35.jpg

Smooth turn signals.....looks great......should post a "how to"

Header panel back is on the car. Took much longer to do than expected. Fixed a small crack and a few small dings. Took a while but is perfect. Now we start the welding up of the bumper holes. Fiberglass bumper fillers go on next.:biggrin:

What is the thing hanging down of the bumper support. Just wondering

Got a little side tracked on the project. I bought the fiberglass bumper fillers for GBoby. They fit perfect. So perfect I'm ordering another set. I will get some pictures up soon.

Not sure if you've checked your local laws but it's illegal to blacken out your lights in some states. It's a 2 point ticket here in Michigan.

Pjhotos of smoothed turn signals don't work. Could you re-post photos?
Conrad

You can try brass as well. The copper might have been too thin if it stuck. The copper and brass release the heat very fast and shouldn't stick but I usually use a block of brass and/or copper. I weld a lot at work and sometimes here at home so I have learned a lot and different tricks to fill in big gaps. A mig is the easiest and best way to fill in gaps. Maybe next time try turning down the heat. Whatever works for you is the best way to do it.

Just my two cents.

How do you hold the copper in place as your welding? I'm wanting to do this project..

How do you hold the copper in place as your welding? I'm wanting to do this project..
Im going to try his pipe idea. Im going to cut it down maybe 1-2 inches, fold it in half and flatten it, then fold it again. Then useing vice grips, grab a little piece of the copper and hold it. I may try it this weekend so Ill let you know.

Are you talking about the white, remote oil filter ?
No, that silver thing attached to the actual bumper support?

Im going to try his pipe idea. Im going to cut it down maybe 1-2 inches, fold it in half and flatten it, then fold it again. Then useing vice grips, grab a little piece of the copper and hold it. I may try it this weekend so Ill let you know.

No, that silver thing attached to the actual bumper support?
I must not be looking at the same picture.
Have you guys looked at Eastwoods handy tools for plug welding and butt welding panels, some good ideas there.