You can type here any text you want

TR6 cam sensor test

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Pronto

No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot.
I've been experimenting with the TR6 and have been satisfied with it so far. So I tried the cam sensor test and it shows my sensor as very retarded. I verified the correct position of the sensor using a cam sensor setting light. When I try to retard it the engine won't start. When it was turned back it starts fine but the test shows retarded. The engine seems to run fine. Anyone else find this with their TR6? What would cause this to happen?

i had an issue when i first got my tr6.it would start cold fine,drive around and it wouldnt start again.bob said this unit is very sensitive to the cam sensor.i started it cold and adjusted a bit advanced i believe,just barely, and never had another issue since.

I have an aftermarket tack and the in dash. Maybe having both going at the same time messes it up? I was watching the in dash one. The TA balancer has a line at 0 and a notch at 25 atdc. I also stuck a piece of tape measured 1.45" on to verify the notch was in the right place which it is. Brought it around to TDC compression stroke on #1 cyl and then to the 25atdc. The window in the sensor faced the drivers fender. Joe Derry guided me though the setting with an old tool I think was called a Timing Doctor. Got it all done and it started right away. I switched the sensor at the same time as well to a new one from Standard. Both had the same results and look to be in the same positions. I'm confident it's in right.

.....When I try to retard it the engine won't start. When it was turned back it starts fine but the test shows retarded.

if the test shows the sensor is retarded, try advancing it.

I have set a couple engines "by the book" and they read right on with the TR6.

Bob

If it's turned ccw from it's current position the engine won't start.

try turning it cw from its present position and see what happens to the cam sensor test.

Bob

I have an aftermarket tack and the in dash. Maybe having both going at the same time messes it up? I was watching the in dash one. The TA balancer has a line at 0 and a notch at 25 atdc. I also stuck a piece of tape measured 1.45" on to verify the notch was in the right place which it is. Brought it around to TDC compression stroke on #1 cyl and then to the 25atdc. The window in the sensor faced the drivers fender. Joe Derry guided me though the setting with an old tool I think was called a Timing Doctor. Got it all done and it started right away. I switched the sensor at the same time as well to a new one from Standard. Both had the same results and look to be in the same positions. I'm confident it's in right.
TR6 showed mine as retarded as well. So I adjusted it with the TR6 to slightly advanced. I will have the engine out shortly and will verify the adjustment before I tear it apart. I was confident mine was correct as well.

There could be some issuse when setting the cam sensor due to timing chain stretch...

When I set the sensor I make sure to turn the crank in a manner to ensure that there is no slack In the chain.

Also has anyone checked to see if your balancer is correct in the tdc markings..

If you can remove the bolt and see where the keyway is pointing...if it's truely at tdc the keyway will be pointing at the 2 o clock position.

I just check a bhj balancer for this and the reluctor ring was on correctly but the outer shell of the balancer was off 6 degrees....the key way is the reference point.

On gm engines the key way is lined up with the number 1 crank throw

Pat broughton

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Last edited:
There could be some issuse when setting the cam sensor due to timing chain stretch...

When I set the sensor I make sure to turn the crank in a manner to ensure that there is no slack In the chain.

Also has anyone checked to see if your balancer is correct in the tdc markings..

If you can remove the bolt and see where the keyway is pointing...if it's truely at tdc the keyway will be pointing at the 2 o clock position.

I just check a bhj balancer for this and the reluctor ring was on correctly but the other shell of the balancer was off 6 degrees....the key way is the reference point.

Pat broughton

Good info Pat. I will investigate when pull it out.

Mine was retarded too I figured it was me being retarded when I set it last time.
Adjusted it with the TR6 advanced it to much and got cam sensor code brought it back a little and it purrs like a kitten.
Was nice to be able to see it on the tach while adjusting sure makes it simple.

I just check a bhj balancer for this and the reluctor ring was on correctly but the other shell of the balancer was off 6 degrees....the key way is the reference point.

Pat broughton

Another thing I wonder about is when you advance the camshaft , what is the perfect setting then , I set mine up no#1 25 after with the casper tester and give it a just a liitle adv and lock her down and seems to work for me . Plus if your tach is not calibrated it would be off also .

the cam timing will have no impact on the setting, One thing I have seen is that a hot engine changes some I assume it is from expansion

Seem to run fine as it's set so I'm not going to obsess over it.

The way things have gone for me the timing set is probably not setup correctly.

Cannot resolve issue with "CAM out of Sync" code on my TR6.

??

Any ideas?

Crank sensor good.....CAM sensor is set correct.....then, motor pulled and a few gaskets changed.....

All went back in.....same code again!

??

Back