You can type here any text you want

Trans shifting funny since re-install - crimped line?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I recently re-installed my transmission after taking it out to have the torque converter checked out. The only changes made were a new front pump and the installation of Precisions 'pump tube' kit. I also had to put a different (used) TV cable on it.

The first problem I encountered was that I could not get the TV cable to adjust by itself. No matter how hard I pulled on the throttle linkage it wouldn't ratchet out. After goofing around with it for days (manually adjusting it) I have it to where it shifts okay but downshifts are funny (doesn't want to downshift). If I push the cable toward the front of the car to fix this then 2-3 and 3-4 get really sloppy on the upshift. There doesn't seem to be any happy medium. I can't get it to upshift/downshift like it did previously.

The only other change while the trans was out was that I spliced in about 12" of new line to both fittings on the transmission. I used a tubing bender but one line (the bottom one, which I understand is the feed from the cooler) kinked slightly. It looked okay, but I wonder if this isn't my problem? Is this a good theory, or if it were causing a pressure problem it would do it all the time irrespective of what I do to the TV cable?

TIA,
Jim

jimmy tranny line shouldnt cause any issues like that.do you get a wot 2/1 kickdown at 20 mph?

jimmy tranny line shouldnt cause any issues like that.do you get a wot 2/1 kickdown at 20 mph?

Yes 1-2 is fine both up and down. From 3rd it will drop to 2nd only if I give it a lot of throttle and unless I keep it floored it will immediately shift back up to 3rd then 4th.

Maybe I just need to goof around with the cable some more.

Jim

Put a gauge on the trans and see what type of tv psi you have

On the driver side of the trans there is a 1/8 npt plug remove plug

get a gauge and 10ft of fuel line hose from Granger supply the gauge must go

to 300psi. at Idle you will

want to have 70-80 psi WOT you will want to be 210 -250 psi. if your idle psi

to high (losen the cable) it will hold the gears long and if your psi is low

(tighen cable) it will have sloppy shifts.

Back