TTA Failed 3rd CA Test Only

Julie

I originally posted this in the TTA forum, but per suggestion I'm posting here :)

Hello everyone,

Today my TTA failed it's third Test Only (in California). The first time it failed for high HC in May, I took it in yesterday and it passed the machine (HC were 111 and max is 114) but they failed it on visual because of the arrangment of the vacuum hoses and the solonoid wasn't hooked up (it had a manual boost hookup).

Today it failed because the NOx scored 884 at 25 whereas the max is 724...yesterday it was 124! Today the HC at 15 did fine, 67 where max is 114 and yesterday it was 111. Does this have any relation to eachother? The guy at the Smog shop suggested taking a close look at the EGR. I called up my car guy and he said he'd tested it a couple of months ago before the first test but maybe the peice broke or something?

Anyway, here's how it scored:

Test - Max 15 - Measured 15 - Max 25 - Measured 25

Today:
HC - 114 - 67 - 88 - 32
CO - .73 - .02 - .61 - .03
NO - 785 - 166 - 724 - 884

Yesterday:
HC - 114 - 111 - 88 - 41
CO - .73 - .07 - .61 - .01
NO - 785 - 217 - 724 - 124

Yesterday I drove easy and ran the AC on max but didn't note the temp when I shut it off or when I started it up again. Today I drove it a little harder to keep the engine hot (200*) hoping that would help the HC go down. Anyway.. Any one else's experiences or suggestion would be appreciated. Tomorrow I'm dropping it off to have the EGR measured to see if it needs to be replaced.

Thanks.

I think there is an additive which has helped people pass emissions. I just can't understand why the NOx would jump like that. Definately check the EGR though...

Julie,
It is quite possible that the EGR solenoid may be defective, the EGR passages may be plugged or the cat may be defective. What are you modifications? If it is stock, I will suggest Consumer Assistance Program. You fill out an application (get from BAR website), local field office or Test-Only stations. Here are the basics, for a $100 copay (at a licensed smog check station for diagnosis or repair), the state of CA will subsidize $500 of smog check related repairs for your vehicle or if you're income eligible, for a $25 copay, the state will subsidize $500 of smog check related repairs. You can email me private so we can exchange phone numbers or com through email if you want more specifics.