Turbo install

pwhite

Just ordered a te44 to replace my stocker. is thereanything I need to know about the install or is it pretty much a straight swap. Tuned correctly with drag radials what is a good et to shoot for with this combo

It's a straight swap. If you have a thdp, you might have to enlarge the wastegate hole. I have a te44 and was getting plenty of boost creep. I took it out yesterday and am having the wastegate hole opened a bit.

Tuned out with a relatively stock setup mid to high 11's are possible with race gas, race chip and 23-25 psi.

The problem installing a TE series turbo is the stock wastegate actuator needs to be modded to work. If the turbo comes with a new wastegate actuator, this shouldn't be a problem.

Another problem that can crop up is the wastegate hole in the turbo maybe larger than the puck in your elbow.

Neither should be a problem if you buy a new complete turbo (with elbow and actuator) from a Vendor. If you buy one used and try to use your stock stuff, there is a better than average chance you may have problems

Bought a new turbo but was told i could stay with the stock elbow please explain alittle more on the problems i might see and how to fix them. was told I could port the elbow to inprove flow but this is the first i have heard of the puck problem
THANKS

Swapping the turbo on a GN is about the easiest thing you can do to the car. If you were to install the turbo for the first time, and change the plugs for the first time, you would be able to install the turbo faster. The only thing that's even remotely hard about it is getting the oil feed tube attached to the engine.

I would replace the oil feed line if the original has a lot of miles...I replace it anyways when putting on a new turbo...the line tends to coke up over time...can get a replacement line from several vendors...cheap insurance...

A little tricky to start bolts for oil return line. If you make up some studs for the oil return it makes it a snap to attach. I made up some studs from a couple bolts.

Originally posted by Red Regal T
A little tricky to start bolts for oil return line. If you make up some studs for the oil return it makes it a snap to attach. I made up some studs from a couple bolts.

Ditto. One of the smartest things I ever did. Of course I'll never have to take my turbo off again right? :rolleyes: :)

please fogive me for bringing back this post but can someone give me some info on the posable problem from trying to reuse a stock 9o with a te-44.
and how can i fix them thanks

Put grease on the puck surface, install elbow, close puck, remove elbow, look at grease pattern. if it covers the hole completely, you will be fine.

For the stock actuator, it will have to be modified to work on a TE44. I only run stock appearing stuff, so i can't help. Steve Wood has explained the mods necessary. He is your best bet.