Turbo redesign for a carb turbo system

Can't wait to see more Charlie!

Well I've got a woodie waiting until it gets back to me Justin.:eek: It will be tested before I get the car together by another member on here. I've been talking to him about it and he likes the idea. I won't say anything more about it until it happens, but his car is much closer to stock than mine will be so this is the best. It will give a "seat of the pants" test to see how it works and then I'll be able to do the real testing. Lots of work to do still though.:(

A little more info

Since there is another thread on porting the plenum I thought I'd add this. It's a little better pic of where to modify the plenum. Look at the yellow and red markings. The first shows where the restiction is and the red shows the dimple to clear the linkage as well as where the ERG port is located. You need to be careful about this area. The dimple isn't a problem if you're careful but the EGR port needs to be trimmed. I have some matereal that I'll be adding to it so I can get more flow out of it. The second pic is the adaptor. It has 2 pipes and 4 holes for adding what ever you want. The one close to the turbo will be cut off but the other will be left alone. I may find a way to add alky with it but I'm not sure yet.

And yes, that my mini starter I'll be using on the car.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCN0002.jpg
    DSCN0002.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 363
like ttheidea on welding the spacer plate making a holley adater might just weld it never thougt about it good thinkig. thanks Mike

The biggest issue with a Holley adaptor is the height Mike. I was tickled to death when I found this low riser. It's just thin enough to allow for a little better flow and shouldn't cause a hood clearence issue.

Spacer holley

Will make it my good freind is toolsnd die maker have one made very thin like yours or less.

It's 13/32" thick so you friend can make it a little easier. I'd honestly stick with a spread bore for berr throttle response but that's up to you Mike.

LOL Know you guys now why I said Ronnie is the guy to get hold of if you want something powdercoated. I would have never belived any of it would look that good. Ronnie is a master when it comes to power coating, hands down.:biggrin:

What type powdercoat on the exhaust side of the turbo will stand that kind of intense heat? I painted my turbo exhaust side with a high heat paint.

Looked great for about a month, then it just burned off and now it looks like the typical rusty white look....lol.

I'm thinking from now on every little doo-dad gets powder coated. I may invest in either a Eastwood, Harbor Freight or Casewell.

Caswell Inc. - High Voltage Powder Coating System

What one of these would Ron suggest for the DIY home hobbiest? :D

i have a Harbor Freight powdercoating system it works great for me. you can't beat the price on it $50 and if you sign up for there news letter they give you 20 percent off anything so you can get it cheaper. i get all my powder from the eastwood co.

I really have no ideal on those systems. I know Al has one also.(Aminga)

That is not powder on the turbo. It is ceramic coating. Powder will not hold up. Yhe guns we use are about 4-5k ea.

But those kits are perfect for home use.

....That is not powder on the turbo. It is ceramic coating. Powder will not hold up. The guns we use are about 4-5k ea.

But those kits are perfect for home use.

Hey thanks for clearing that up. I've giving up with high heat paint. It's junk, (even the caliper paint stuff). Best to do it right and go ceramic. :D

...I have a Harbor Freight powdercoating system it works great for me. you can't beat the price on it $50 and if you sign up for there news letter they give you 20 percent off anything so you can get it cheaper. i get all my powder from the eastwood co.

Now that is some good info! Did you get the oven too? (Harbor freight list it for $299.00 current price for gun is $69.99). A 20% discount would help make that a decent deal!

Now that is some good info! Did you get the oven too? (Harbor freight list it for $299.00 current price for gun is $69.99). A 20% discount would help make that a decent deal!

i didn't get the oven i use my home oven. yes i know i shouldn't use my home oven but i never cook. by the way wait for it to go on sale its cheaper(49.99) they alway have a sale on it every two weeks.you can alway make your oven like this guy on youtube. YouTube - DIY Home-Made Powder Coating Oven Walk Around i dont know how this works i just saw it on youtube.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwa-Y_tw5m0[/YOUTUBE]

That's aminga (Al) that did it. He did a very nice job and it should work out well. he had Ronnie as an advisor.

The biggest issue with a Holley adaptor is the height Mike. I was tickled to death when I found this low riser. It's just thin enough to allow for a little better flow and shouldn't cause a hood clearence issue.
Charlie, is that low riser a 4.1 intake?
I picked up an Edelbrock dual plane and it's HIGH! It should work for a blow-thru tho..
I have a Riviera turbo carb plenum here (somewhere). Pretty sure it drops the carb lower than the Regal one. Bet it flows worse, but it may work with higher intakes. Have you seen them?

P.S. I powdercoat here too.... trash picked a kitchen oven that is now in my shop.
PC is good to about 300 degrees, but silicone powders are good to 1000*F.
Ceramic coatings are even better! See Plating Kits Electroplating Kits Aluminum Anodizing Kits Powder Coating Systems Metal Polishing And Buffing Supplies - Caswell Inc.

I'm a little lost on that Walt. The plenum is of an 81 turbo car and the adapter/spacer is from God knows where. I got lucky and found it on evilbay for cheap. I've got several spacers but this is the smallest of them. The tallest is 1" and I know I don't have the clearence for it.

Oh ok... You were talking about carb adapters and I thought you were talking about low riser intake manifolds. Never mind!
I'll try to did up that Riv plenum and see what it looks like.

If you guys can't find a correct thickness spacer,you should make one,can't be all that hard.

Band saw,porting tool,hole saws,file,mill,jig saw,what ever tools you can find to make it.

Plate aluminum is not too much$$$

Oh ok... You were talking about carb adapters and I thought you were talking about low riser intake manifolds. Never mind!
I'll try to did up that Riv plenum and see what it looks like.

I'd like to see pics of it Walt. It may be another alternative for us to make our cars faster.:biggrin:

If you guys can't find a correct thickness spacer,you should make one,can't be all that hard.

Band saw,porting tool,hole saws,file,mill,jig saw,what ever tools you can find to make it.

Plat aluminum is not too much$$$

I don't have access to plate aluminum right now but I agree. It shouldn't be that expensive after all.

Well ya'll have seen what Ronnie posted but he left some of it behind.:biggrin: This is basically what the top of my engine will look like.:eek: I know it has very little to do with building the turbo but I just had to show you guys how it looks.:biggrin: The 2 different alternator brackets are for the standard amp and the high amp unit.:smile:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 276