Turbo Regals are drivers.

I love the talk on this thread.

Im enjoying the comments on the 67GTO but I only wish most of what was said was actually true---My 67 H.O. GTO hardtop is no way worth the money that was mentioned and its a super super clean car with 19,000 original miles. Ive got well over 25k into the car just for the restoration that isnt even done yet. Considering the car was handed down to me by the original owner(dad) I dont think I would break even if I tried to sell the car at this point. Not complaining just being realistic. Pontiacs have not seen the value boom like the Mopars have, but I'm hoping that they soon will. As far as performance my Pops said that his Goat ran 14.19 on the 14" polyglass tires and thru the factory exhaust. Not exactly lightning quick but very comparable to a stock GN. Maybe someone could adress this---Why dont we ever see any real nice GNs or even a GNX on the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction? :confused: One more question for the experts --Whats this love affair with the HEMI name going on all of these cars and the average consumer believing that Chrysler is giving them a super engine in these new cars? Wake up people---its just a cylinder head design that can always be made better with a good port job! I had to argue with a new Charger owner for 20 minutes before he understood that Hemi refers to the placement of the damn spark plugs in the heads :eek: . He actually bought the car and had no idea. BRILLIANT!!!!Maybe thats why the Mopars are going for close to half a million on the Auction.

Brer Rabbit said:
One more question for the experts --Whats this love affair with the HEMI name going on all of these cars and the average consumer believing that Chrysler is giving them a super engine in these new cars?

the 425 HP 6.1L IS a super engine. If that motor was put in '70 cudas back in the day (rather than 4100lb sedans), Cuda's would have run low 12's in the 1/4 stock.

425 NET hp would equal AT LEAST 500 GROSS HP from the musclecar era.

The New Z06 motor is even more badazz.

Most people buy a GN or T type as a special interest car in the last 10yrs or so,not as a daily driver.The GNX was bought to be a collectable from the start.How many non GNXs are still around I have no idea,but if it wasnt for aftermarket,donor cars and many smart minded home hobbiest,these cars wouldve been gone sooner.There will be some left yrs from now and a high price tag will follow for the right car. Yet again,gas prices ,availability,affordabilty may change it all. Enjoy them while you can! Museums can only take so many.

Brer Rabbit said:
Maybe someone could adress this---Why dont we ever see any real nice GNs or even a GNX on the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction?
There is supposed to be 3 GNs at the upcoming Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale AZ Jan 18-22. :cool:

Joe Cancer said:
There is supposed to be 3 GNs at the upcoming Barrett Jackson Auction in Scottsdale AZ Jan 18-22. :cool:
Thats excellent news---maybe r cars will increase in value after someone pays 45,000 for a low mileage regular old GN :D

18mpg city

darkred87T said:
I don't mean to jack this thread but it confused me when it was stated in the original post that a GN would LIKELY be as fast as a 2006 Monte Carlo so I did some research:

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/chevrolet_montecarlo_ss_2006/17646/style_overview.html

I guess performance wise, it would be close. :eek: However, we still have the advantage of RWD over the FWD Monte.
Wow thats really good for a V8---my lil beater daily driver saturn is gettin 18.5mpg racing light to light OTW to work. And a lot more comfortable too.

$750,000 is not such a big deal if you were the sucker who bought it new. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but a high end musclecar would have been 5000-6000 in 1970, right? Wait 35 years and if its worth is now $750,000, it is an average return of 15%. Pretty good for a long term average but ****ty when you consider the average inflation rate in the 70's was about 10% and even adjusting over 35 years its no lower than 5-6% on average. Your real return is probably 7-8%. This is only for the cars that reach those high pinacles of value. The guy getting $100,000 for his car today gets very little. Cars are a crappy investment, period. The guy who might have done well is the one who bought that car for $100,000 5 years ago and sold it today. He is not the one who kept in in his garage and never got to drive it for the previous 30 years.

Prices did the same thing in the very early 90's and when that recession hit, prices plummetted. I remember Hot Rod articels wondering if all the nice 50's cars would wind up in Japan becasue their economy was on fire and they liked to buy American classics. The bubble will burst again.

BJM said:
$750,000 is not such a big deal if you were the sucker who bought it new. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but a high end musclecar would have been 5000-6000 in 1970, right? Wait 35 years and if its worth is now $750,000, it is an average return of 15%. Pretty good for a long term average but ****ty when you consider the average inflation rate in the 70's was about 10% and even adjusting over 35 years its no lower than 5-6% on average. Your real return is probably 7-8%. This is only for the cars that reach those high pinacles of value. The guy getting $100,000 for his car today gets very little. Cars are a crappy investment, period. The guy who might have done well is the one who bought that car for $100,000 5 years ago and sold it today. He is not the one who kept in in his garage and never got to drive it for the previous 30 years.

Prices did the same thing in the very early 90's and when that recession hit, prices plummetted. I remember Hot Rod articels wondering if all the nice 50's cars would wind up in Japan becasue their economy was on fire and they liked to buy American classics. The bubble will burst again.

you are right on man

Not that I'm some investment guru, but if you are thinking of your car as your little goldmine maybe you should take a step back and look at other ways to invest your money.

Pablo said:
you are right on man

Not that I'm some investment guru, but if you are thinking of your car as your little goldmine maybe you should take a step back and look at other ways to invest your money.

I'm not comparing the investment return of a Muscle car from 1970 to today. I'm comparing the return from the late 80's to today. We paid $6500 for a 440-6 cuda in '87 and could have sold it for $65K minimum today. Inflation hasn't been THAT much in the last 20 years.

Never look at a car as an investment. Buy and enjoy the car that YOU like.

But if you want a nice, low mile one (instead a beater you will be spending $1000's on later), now would be a pretty good time to buy one (actually 3 years ago would have been a good time to buy one, but that is beside the point).

UNGN said:
I'm not comparing the investment return of a Muscle car from 1970 to today. I'm comparing the return from the late 80's to today. We paid $6500 for a 440-6 cuda in '87 and could have sold it for $65K minimum today. Inflation hasn't been THAT much in the last 20 years.

Never look at a car as an investment. Buy and enjoy the car that YOU like.

But if you want a nice, low mile one (instead a beater you will be spending $1000's on later), now would be a pretty good time to buy one (actually 3 years ago would have been a good time to buy one, but that is beside the point).

You would be doing okay, but not great. Factor of 10 increase in 20 years is only 12% per year, inflation over that time might be 4-5% so you are the same as the 1970 original owner. Take away expenses and its worse. Don't get me wrong, you had a really cool car all that time and most car owners get nothing when they get rid of a vehicle.

Turbo Regals are drivers
Turbo Buicks are just like hookers, if you spend enough money on them, they will be anything that you want them to be. And that's definitely a very good thing.

My GN is a toy...not a work vehicle, it's purpose isn't to get me from point A to point B, or to carry groceries to and fro. It's sole purpose for it's existence is for me to enjoy it...even if it pisses me off sometimes, and I enjoy it when it's clear blue and 22 out with absolutely no chance of inclement weather...and at times when people are cramming the roads. So no, it's not a daily driver for me.

I have a garage queen per say. haven't driven it but 80 - 100 miles in the last 2 years. you don't like it? oh well !! it isn't costing me anything sitting in my climate controlled garage, & it will not go anywhere until someone has the $ I'm asking for it, or a 70-73 TA or Formula to trade. :biggrin: