Turbo Tweak Chip... need some help..

I'd bump the fuel pressure up to 43psi line off, reset the ECM and go from there. That's where mine likes to be.

You DID unplug/replug the orange ECM wire to reset the ECM right ?

I do that every time I make a change.

Yes, I did, but Im going to do it again anyway!

Eric, because I have a monte carlo, and I going to have any problem with the wastegate functioning properly? Someone from caspers mentioned the solenoid might not work properly because I dont have a GN Dash harness...

But what do these two wire go to? If they stay on the engine harness and just go to the ECM, I should be fine right?

I did some digging around and found out that I am supposed to get 12v to the pink wire with black stripe on the wastegate solenoid, so I added the 12 volts via an ignition based 12v.

I also shortened up the rod a tiny bit so that I had to actually pull it a little to get it on the wastegate flap. (not using technical terms here..)

Anyway, I did a pass in third and she was a little lean @ 13lbs of boost and did a pass in first and she was a little lean @ 13lbs of boost.

So I added the rest of the fuel... now +20%! And subtracted timing by putting from 128 down to 125, in both 1/2nd and 3/4th. Now I have no knock (except on the shift and a O2 reading of about 800.

But that is only at 13lbs of boost and I have the chip MAXED out (fuel wise) and timing pulled out a little!

Granted, its 90 degrees here, but I thought I was supposed to get 16.5 lbs of boost with this chip and that it was supposed to be a base tune and I should just fine tune it to go a little faster. Not make dramatic changes just to be able to put the pedal to the floor? Maybe I am wrong. I am new to this whole thing... please help!

You said its lean, but you didn't mention knock. Is it knocking?

Could be a few things:
You are lacking fuel somewhere in the system (low fuel psi, clogged injectors, etc).
The boost is higher than what your gauge says.
The car does not have a stock turbo and heads.

That chip was set for 100% injector duty cycle (at WOT) at its default settings because of the stock injectors. Since they are already at 100%, taking the fuel adjustment up is not doing much of anything.

Also, since you have no speedo signal, the 1st gear fuel adjustment will not work, and the 3rd gear timing adjustment will not work. The only adjustments that work are WOT fuel, and 1/2 timing (which will apply to all gears in your case).

Well, good thing to know about adjusting timing.

I tested fuel pressure while hose was off... its was 43 psi. I then took it for a spin with hose back on and saw a 1:1 ratio of boost to fuel PSI.

SO at 10lbs, I had 53 PSI fuel pressure and it was holding. So fuel pressure shouldnt be the issue, and the entire fuel system is brand new EXCEPT the injectors... so they might be the problem.

Im not sure why a brand new autometer boost gauge would be wrong, but I guess it could happen.

The car for sure has a stock turbo and heads. There is no work done to them.

As far as knocking goes, yes a little in third, then I pulled timing across all gears and I think that helped it out. But that was @13lbs of boost.

1st and second no knock at all.

And my AF numbers are 255 @13lbs boost

Just a quick question

Eric just wanted to say i ordered a chip from you tonight:cool: I was reading through this post and figured I would bring this up, my TTA speedo is off. But my scanmaster is reading right. So i think i am ok for the chip. But how do i fix my speedo??? at 30mph im reading 20mph on speedo. At 70mph i'm reading 50mph on speedo. Just really annoying and is probably going to get me in jail haha.
Thanks
Chris

I can't help much with the speedo, but as long as the scanmaster shows the right mph, then the ECM and chip is good.

Well the point to posting all those threads was to figure out why I cant get over 14PSI of boost without running very lean. Even at 14PSI i am lean.
No knock, but a little lean. I had to pull a degree of timing out in third so i had no knock.

I was under the impression that with a stock setup I should be able to run 16-17PSI with the timing that you had put on the chip.

There is no way in hell I can boost it up to 17 PSI, I tried 15 and it was LEAN.

I am not getting enough fuel somehow. I have a Walbro inline pump from Full Throttle with a 1/2" feed line all the way to the rail. And it gets proper fuel pressure and MAINTAINS it. goes it with the boost the way it should too.
regulator is brand new and an accufab.

Injectors are stock, but I am thinking maybe one or two are bad, or dirty...
but I dont know how to test that.

Read all the posts above.. I mentioned all this stuff and more..

I just want to know why I cant get the full potential out of this car.

I also mentioned getting 12volts to the wastegate solenoid...

I think I need a good understanding of what you chip does to enrichen fuel and what other factors are involved so I can help myself figure out my problem.

I also want to see if a friend of mine has a set of some bigger injectors with a chip and see if I can get proper fuel enrichment.

As far as the chip goes, the fueling is maxed, so there's nothing more we can do there. If the MAF reading is at 255 at full boost, the duty cycle is at 100% in your chip. Pretty much all stock injector chips are set up that way, including the stock chip.

If you have no knock, it's not too lean. O2 readings vary from car to car. Most like 750-800, but some read lower depending on the sensor and wiring in the car. Stock O2 sensor readings can be very inaccurate sometimes.

99% of stock turbo/injector 86/87 Turbo Buicks can run between 15 and 17psi without going lean, so something is different in your setup. Unfortunately I don't know what that is. It could be your injectors are just old and plugged up, which is not uncommon for stock injectors.

For the wastegate solenoid, the pink/white wire needs to go back to pin D3 at the ECM. However, the ECM doesn't know what the boost is. It's pulsed at a set duty cycle that "should" equal a certain boost if the stock turbo and wastegate are used. If the wastegate is adjustable, that will override the ECM.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,
Eric

try turning the fuel pressure up to 45-46 line off.. Make sure that the tps is set right also...

If you turn the fp up and it helps then I would bet on the injectors being clogged somewhat..

Thanks for the replies.

I have bumped the FP up to 45 just to "help", made a little difference.

Without a wideband, I cant go on anything other than O2 readings, but I WAS getting knock in third at 14PSI until pulled some timing.... so it is lean.

I am going to have to pretty much bet that either my injectors are bad, or I have something that I dont know I have, either way I need more fuel and only injectors are going to do that... so..

Ill have to sell some old crap and buy some injectors!

I am not getting enough fuel somehow. I have a Walbro inline pump from Full Throttle with a 1/2" feed line all the way to the rail.

Depending how you have this pump installed, this *may* be a potential source of trouble.
I have the exact same pump on my car. The barb fittings supplied with the pump have super small openings in them,(lawnmower sized) and the AN adapter fittings sold by Full Throttle also have very small openings thru them.(no fault of thiers)
I drilled larger holes thru the AN fittings and chamfered the in/out corners of the fittings before installing the pump on my car.

The other thing I'm curious about is... how is the pump supplied with fuel ?
Are you sucking fuel through the factory in-tank pump ? or do you have a fuel cell installed ?

If you are using a factory fuel tank, you may want to consider installing a sender/pickup assy from a carbureted car.

Thanks for the replies.

I have bumped the FP up to 45 just to "help", made a little difference.

Without a wideband, I cant go on anything other than O2 readings, but I WAS getting knock in third at 14PSI until pulled some timing.... so it is lean.

I am going to have to pretty much bet that either my injectors are bad, or I have something that I dont know I have, either way I need more fuel and only injectors are going to do that... so..

Ill have to sell some old crap and buy some injectors!

I have a set of green stripes in my car now that work good. I think these are 30lbs. I also have a thrasher chip that works good. If you want I will box them up later this week and send them to you to try on your car and see if that helps any. If they do and your happy with them you can make me an offer on them or just send them back. At least you will know if it is the injectors.. I think about $55 for the injectors and chip is a good offer..

But you can try them first.. For free..

yes, I have a fuel cell, and I am not using those barbed fittings either.

But the opening on that fuel pump is small... and of course its female fittings, which was an intelligent engineering move... It they were male then we wouldnt lose any size to the threads..

Im still wondering about my EGR and wastegate solenoid...

Because I dont have an actual GN, I am wondering if either of these are working.

I was told the Purple wire on the solenoid went to the ECM and the pink wire needs 12v, but Eric said the pink wire went to the ECM..

I cant find a diagram to prove either way!

I have a set of green stripes in my car now that work good. I think these are 30lbs. I also have a thrasher chip that works good. If you want I will box them up later this week and send them to you to try on your car and see if that helps any. If they do and your happy with them you can make me an offer on them or just send them back. At least you will know if it is the injectors.. I think about $55 for the injectors and chip is a good offer..

But you can try them first.. For free..

Damn, I cant believe I didnt see this post before! AHH!

I would definately have taken you up on this offer!

Well, a good friend of mine just let me borrow some 40# "red stripes" but I dont have a chip for them. I am putting my "feelers" out there to see if I can find one quick.

Eric,

If you are still watching this.. what kind of turn around time on a chip for these 40# "red stripe" injectors for my car? I know its $55...

Boosted Bug,
If I cant find a chip and the turn around time is crummy...
I am interested in your deal if you still have it to offer

NothinYet<< what scantool you running?? Any chance you could post a file for us to see...?? Its a trial and error situation getting a non-TR running with these motors.. The wiring is the MOST difficult part, I have a lot of information from the previous owner should you need it.. For what its worth, I get an accurate speed reading on Direct Scan, I can look how its plugged in and hooked up to the ECM if you wish...

I've just recently bought my 84 SS with a 87 GN drivetrain and am still learning... but it sounds to me like you need injectors.. they are not too expensive, I may be upping mine (42.5#ers) to 60#ers from Eric soon, so let me know if you are interested in them.. They work great and you can add plenty of fuel to them.. Eric's chips are GREAT, and he can make one work for you,,,

And not to hi-jack on your thread,

Eric<< will your 60#ers work with the stock ECM?

On the wastegate solenoid, the 12v is pink/black. The other wire that goes to the ECM does appear to be purple/white. It's listed in some places as pink/white, but I looked at the car and it's purple/white.

Chip turn around is typically a week.

The 60's will work with the stock ECM.