You can type here any text you want

Turbo Tweak Chip or Fast or XFI

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

007gn

Which is better of the 3? Can a turbo Buick run as fast with a chip as it can with a fast system or xfi?... I'm asking because it seems to me that all of the quicker 1/4mile cars that I read about on this site are not using chips..So that leads me to ask are the after market computers better & faster or is it just a trend or fad right now?

Depends on how long you want to take to tune it, both can work for you. How fast do you want to go, The aftermarkets you can tweak more , but the cost is way more of course.

Don't rule out Extender chips. They work great, and actually measure the airflow, so adapt to turning up the boost (requires a translator and newer style MAS)
A FAST isn't needed. A chip is more novice friendly. As long as boost is the same, timing is the same, and the AFR is the same the whole way down the track, there will be no difference between a chip of XFI. Now faster cars can benefit from the advanced features of the XFI, like boost control and traction control to aid in launching. Also, timing and AFR can be adjusted easier during spool up with an XFI to help spool big turbos. I wouldn't worry about an XFI until 9's.

The chips the timing is not adjustable at different boost levels, rpm on some chips, and gear selection on others. So if you wanted to run 15 psi then 25 you would have to redo the timing by adjusting the chip, where in the fast its all controllable rpm/vs boost live, aslo thew fast can add 25% more fuel faster than the chip, in-case something went out of wack, could save your motor.

Yep, timing and AFR would need to be adjusted by RPM, guessing where the boost is at certain RPM with a chip. The stock ECM doesn't know boost.

With a translator pro you can do timing vs rpm but not boost..

007gn, you can also split the difference and go with one of our EBL SFI-6 Flash ECMs. It is based on a newer Buick ECM with an add-in board. This ECM has a lot more I/O that provides many features designed for use on our turbo cars.

It is a SD system so need a MAP sensor. But this is good as the ECM is now boost aware. Can adjust SA and fuel when in boost (RPM & MAP). Has Flash memory on board to hold the calibration so no chip swapping. High speed data logging is included.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Don't rule out Extender chips. They work great, and actually measure the airflow, so adapt to turning up the boost (requires a translator and newer style MAS)
A FAST isn't needed. A chip is more novice friendly. As long as boost is the same, timing is the same, and the AFR is the same the whole way down the track, there will be no difference between a chip of XFI. Now faster cars can benefit from the advanced features of the XFI, like boost control and traction control to aid in launching. Also, timing and AFR can be adjusted easier during spool up with an XFI to help spool big turbos. I wouldn't worry about an XFI until 9's.

I used Extender chips for many years on several combinations and always had good performance out of them. Didn't know they had an SD chip until after I had bought TT's SD chip.

I've had very good performance with the TT chip with my latest combo and it's street manners are very good even with 80's. I believe it will get me to my goal and if I decide to go faster then I'll probably look at a what is available at that time. Lots of new performance enhancements coming out for these 25 year old Grandpa cars.:)

When I first got my Buick, it had a commander chip in it. I later upgraded to the Extender chip with MAF translator and LT1 MAF. Best money Ive spent for the car - made tuning A LOT simpler. FAST/XFI/DFI are all nice n all, but you're gonna be planted down in front of a laptop for awhile adjusting everything and making it perfect.

You will be planted behind the laptop the rest of your life:)

Which is better of the 3? Can a turbo Buick run as fast with a chip as it can with a fast system or xfi?... I'm asking because it seems to me that all of the quicker 1/4mile cars that I read about on this site are not using chips..So that leads me to ask are the after market computers better & faster or is it just a trend or fad right now?

What is done to your car? Knowing that will help decide which may be better for you. Your location is important also.

Another vote for extender chip. With translator, it adjusts the fuel at wot in real time so if boost spikes or changes, as it does with internal gates sometimes, the computer will adjust. The alky also adjust up to 30psi so this is an easy yet fast and affordable setup that allows a perfect afr the whole run with minimal tuning regardless of boost level. Turn the boost down or up and few if any adjustments are needed.

XFI also has an auto learn feature and you can log without having a laptop in the car. For the auto learn, from what I'm told, when I use my TT 6 chip, I set a target A/F, but it may have to add remove fueling to get there, say 10%. In XFI, it plugs in the 10% as the new base so the next time it won't have to adjust by so much to reach the target A/F. In TT, I have to fire up the powerlogger and manually set my base fueling to move it 10% so that it won't have to correct so much next time.

XFI also has an auto learn feature and you can log without having a laptop in the car. For the auto learn, from what I'm told, when I use my TT 6 chip, I set a target A/F, but it may have to add remove fueling to get there, say 10%. In XFI, it plugs in the 10% as the new base so the next time it won't have to adjust by so much to reach the target A/F. In TT, I have to fire up the powerlogger and manually set my base fueling to move it 10% so that it won't have to correct so much next time.
That is correct, but it has its limitations, you need to be in each cell for at least 1 second without big tps movements, but no matter what you have a 25% instant correction factor for safety anyway, and you can make it not to pull much fuel at wot if needed

IMHO a stock ECM/Chip vs Aftermarket comparison is only “fair” is the goal is stated.

There are just too many variables to make a blanket statement, or compare. For a 11 second car, a chip is proven to work very well. (Although I heard about some guy named Grumpy who continues to run 9 seconds with a chip.)

Case and point; A call to one of the aftermarket ECU carrying vendors on this board explaining my goal of mid 13’s, advise should be to use a chip. (At least I hope that would be the case. o_O )

Aftermarket and chips both have their place in each application.
The best system” will therefore be the one that meets the needs to reach the goal based on the owner’s ability and willingness to make adjustments, AND the budget.
My $0.02

i like the simplicity of the tt chips and run a 5.6 into the 10's.sometimes too much adjustability can be confusing.

Everyone has valid points here, however you will lose the 25% correction safety window the aftermarkets have in common. Not to take anything away from the chips, they are great, but the safety net is not as good.

Everyone has valid points here, however you will lose the 25% correction safety window the aftermarkets have in common. Not to take anything away from the chips, they are great, but the safety net is not as good.
I have ran a TT chip that had -5%, +30% correction ability.

I have ran a TT chip that had -5%, +30% correction ability.
That is true, and it does help however the speed of that correction is not as fast as the aftermarkets.

Back