You can type here any text you want

Turbo Upgrade READ BEFORE JUDGING

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Brandon Cumbee

I completely understand there are several threads on this topic, none that I have found to answer my question directly.

I have a 1987 Grand National. 60k miles. Runs drives great, I'm new to 80's. I know nothing about electronics, computers, fuel injections and least of all... TURBOS.

I want to know what I can buy to replace my turbo, bolt in upgrade w/ Little to no change. Mine doesn't seem to spool very well according to boost Guage. There might be an adjustment to turn up, I'm not sure.

I like the spooling sound and want something that starts lower. I don't beat on much.

Also, I have looked a lot about exhaust, seems like most old threads talk about atr, no longer made. I own 60's cars, i like the lower note, rumble and only looking to spend around $400.

Seen a video on SLP loudmouth but seems they only sell mufflers. Do I need to buy exhaust setup w/o mufflers and then buy these?

Seriously, any help would be good. I hope I didn't offend someone bc I couldn't find out of the 100 similar threads, something that was recent that applied to my situation.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2015-07-13 16.46.41.jpg
    2015-07-13 16.46.41.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 153
  • 2015-07-14 16.17.06.jpg
    2015-07-14 16.17.06.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 164
  • 2015-07-14 16.19.14.jpg
    2015-07-14 16.19.14.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 157
My advise is to step back a little and do not jump into mods until you are more familiar with your car, and learn more about it.

A stock GN spools very good unless someone has been "messing" with something?

One thing you need to understand about turbo cars is that combination is VERY important, and changing the turbo for example my make the car run and respond worse without the proper supporting parts.

If you have someone in your area with GN experience could be an good starting point.

Brandon , first , if you have been reading hear on TB.com you should know to listen to what Nick has to say . Second if the car is new to you start off with the spring cleaning http://www.gnttype.org/maint/basics.html and check all vacuum lines for cracks & leaks & inspect that flex pipe from MAF to turbo for splits . Also post your location & any known mods in your signature so you can help Us help You . Good Luck , Sam

You can also look and post in the Regional section to find someone close to you that can help you.

Nice looking car!

Congrats and enjoy what you are about to experience.

WELCOME PILGRIM!!!
Glad to have you aboard. Many of us are 60's hot rodders that the gov. put the kabash on in the 70's and we found new hope in the 80's w/the creation of the TR. What the guys are saying is to take a little time on the board here to learn about your TR and ask questions and read a lot. Before making any decisions on parts choices and you will be making wise choices, while at the same time increasing your performance at a reasonable cost. We have a "parts for sale" and a "Parts wanted" sections you can check when you are ready to make purchases, that will save you money, as well as safely adding hp!
Again, Welcome to the board!!!

Well, I understand where you guys are coming from. I'm a hands on kinda guy. I love tearing something apart, check the moving parts and develop a better understanding of something. Turbo might be a winter project, however I NEED an exhaust ASAP, used you tube, not the best of videos. And the general consensus seemed to be ATR, which is no longer made. I like the deeper tone, avoiding the drone sound.

Anything that's new or a favorite amongst you guys?

Trying to keep around 400, not 700.

Thanks again, i appreciate you guys taking time to help out a newbie

I completely understand there are several threads on this topic, none that I have found to answer my question directly.

I have a 1987 Grand National. 60k miles. Runs drives great, I'm new to 80's. I know nothing about electronics, computers, fuel injections and least of all... TURBOS.

I want to know what I can buy to replace my turbo, bolt in upgrade w/ Little to no change. Mine doesn't seem to spool very well according to boost Guage. There might be an adjustment to turn up, I'm not sure.

I like the spooling sound and want something that starts lower. I don't beat on much.

Also, I have looked a lot about exhaust, seems like most old threads talk about atr, no longer made. I own 60's cars, i like the lower note, rumble and only looking to spend around $400.

Seen a video on SLP loudmouth but seems they only sell mufflers. Do I need to buy exhaust setup w/o mufflers and then buy these?

Seriously, any help would be good. I hope I didn't offend someone bc I couldn't find out of the 100 similar threads, something that was recent that applied to my situation.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME AND CONSIDERATION!!!!!!
WELCOME PILGRIM!!!
Glad to have you aboard. Many of us are 60's hot rodders that the gov. put the kabash on in the 70's and we found new hope in the 80's w/the creation of the TR. What the guys are saying is to take a little time on the board here to learn about your TR and ask questions and read a lot. Before making any decisions on parts choices and you will be making wise choices, while at the same time increasing your performance at a reasonable cost. We have a "parts for sale" and a "Parts wanted" sections you can check when you are ready to make purchases, that will save you money, as well as safely adding hp!
Again, Welcome to the board!!!

Well, I understand where you guys are coming from. I'm a hands on kinda guy. I love tearing something apart, check the moving parts and develop a better understanding of something. Turbo might be a winter project, however I NEED an exhaust ASAP, used you tube, not the best of videos. And the general consensus seemed to be ATR, which is no longer made. I like the deeper tone, avoiding the drone sound.

Anything that's new or a favorite amongst you guys?

Trying to keep around 400, not 700.

Thanks again, i appreciate you guys taking time to help out a newbie
Pypes with Race Pro mufflers is pretty popular. SGG50R is the part number. It's stainless and is more throaty than stock but not obnoxious until you floor it. Shop around for a good price.

Pypes all the way. I installed mine on the garage floor and it really was not hard to level. You just have to be willing to spend several hours checking, looking, and stepping back to see that everything is symetrical. I bought band clamps instead of using the horseshoes clamps but that's just me. It is a quiet system though. If you want rumble it might not be for you. I love it, affordable and stainless.

Nick Micale above will ship it to your door for a very fair total price.

Last edited:
Back