Turbo upgrades for 84-85

bison

Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
Gauging interest on 84-85 turbo upgrades and what type of upgrades owners would want. Basically there are two types of compressor cover we would be dealing with. The stock one and the e cover which is common to anything you see for an 86-89 that starts with TE. The stock cover/backplate will accept t04e wheels but the diffuser is too small and the air stacks up in the compressor housing when trying to increase mass flow through the engine. The compressor wheel must be altered to retain the correct nozzle location since the height of the wheel is different than the stock wheel. The other alternative is the to4e cover which readily accepts the t04e style wheels but is not a direct bolt on. The compressor outlet needs to be addressed with a custom adapter that will allow it to fit into the back of the intake. The adapter would need to be welded to the cover. The other hang up with the t04e is the back plate. A custom backplate would need to be made so that the carbon seal could be maintained. I'd need a minimum order to make it worthwhile or it's by the hr on them one at a time. The t04e option is a much better one than the stock cover and has the larger diffuser and will allow the compressor wheel to work the way it should. With the intake restriction removed and a set of good flowing heads the e cover turbos will really wake up one of these engines. I will have some really nice 59 and 62mm billet compressor options very shortly and turbines that will complement the compressor mass flow potential really well. I'd like to give you guys the advantage of using these making a big stride forward in power potential.

RUDE DOG said:
Sounds good how much is the cost, and im assuming we have to have a core. Thanks

That depends on what I'm doing. I don't have exact pricing. I'll PM you later on converting an 84/85 turbo. I have a couple cores around if you wanted to keep your stock one.

thought we already could get just about anything you wanted...within reason from Work Turbo? Regardless way to step up man.

I'm interested in upgrading my turbo. I haven't found anybody that does it though. I saw one that looked sweet that belonged to boost231, I think it was a ta49. Let us know how this works out for u.

luisturbog said:
I'm interested in upgrading my turbo. I haven't found anybody that does it though. I saw one that looked sweet that belonged to boost231, I think it was a ta49. Let us know how this works out for u.

If you want one with a stock compressor cover/back plate I can do that at anytime with any compressor wheel that will physically fit in the housing though running larger wheels in the small housing isn't optimium. Ive been doing a lot of billet 60-1 replacements lately. They potentially flow more than most engines will probably ever use even with an 86-87 conversion and good ported heads. I've also got some nice 62 turbines that fill the gap between the 76p and stage 3 wheel nicely if your engine needs that extra flow potential. I could build with a small turbine and swap out later for a larger one and re-balance for a reasonable price if you bought it directly from me first. That 60-1 wheel and it's forged milled replacements are hard to beat for 450-650hp applications. I'd keep the small turbine until it was making enough power to trap at least 117mph though. I can use whatever ex housing you want or provide as long as it's available though the .63 Garrett is ideal for almost all of these types of applications.

bison said:
If you want one with a stock compressor cover/back plate I can do that at anytime with any compressor wheel that will physically fit in the housing though running larger wheels in the small housing isn't optimium. Ive been doing a lot of billet 60-1 replacements lately. They potentially flow more than most engines will probably ever use even with an 86-87 conversion and good ported heads. I've also got some nice 62 turbines that fill the gap between the 76p and stage 3 wheel nicely if your engine needs that extra flow potential. I could build with a small turbine and swap out later for a larger one and re-balance for a reasonable price if you bought it directly from me first. That 60-1 wheel and it's forged milled replacements are hard to beat for 450-650hp applications. I'd keep the small turbine until it was making enough power to trap at least 117mph though. I can use whatever ex housing you want or provide as long as it's available though the .63 Garrett is ideal for almost all of these types of applications.

What about mounting with the 60-1? U got pix? I'm curious now! What stall would I need to match?

You would need at least 2200@0 with a stage 3 turbine and garrett .63 ex housing and preferably 2400@0. I dont have any pics of anything complete for an 84-85 but here you go on a billet 60-1 replacement:
60-1billet-2.JPG 60-1billet-4.PNG

i take it the billet 60 is useless for a stock 84 housing? what would be good in a stock housing.

alec296 said:
i take it the billet 60 is useless for a stock 84 housing? what would be good in a stock housing.

It's a 60-1 replacement and can be used in a stock housing. The common cast stuff out there like the t04e 60 will also be choked by the stock housing and is a little over 1 mm smaller on the inducer. I could go to the smaller t04e wheels if needed.

You would need at least 2200@0 with a stage 3 turbine and garrett .63 ex housing and preferably 2400@0. I dont have any pics of anything complete for an 84-85 but here you go on a billet 60-1 replacement:
View attachment 176888 View attachment 176889
I think I need to go to turbo school. I'm kind of lost here. Ok! So it's the cartridge were talking about? & u can install in a factory housing? But it's to big for stock turbo housing & chokes up the air? How do u measure what turbine u have?

I'm really considering getting one from u but I'm still weary of how it will work. Main thing is how it will fit in intake.

luisturbog said:
I'm really considering getting one from u but I'm still weary of how it will work. Main thing is how it will fit in intake.

There would have to be enough interest to go the e cover route. I can do a stock cover one anytime. I could also do a stock 86-87 cover with an adapter

bison said:
There would have to be enough interest to go the e cover route. I can do a stock cover one anytime. I could also do a stock 86-87 cover with an adapter

If I did my stock turbo would the upgrade just be a ta33c?

luisturbog said:
If I did my stock turbo would the upgrade just be a ta33c?

It will be whatever compressor you want that can physically fit in the stock housing and more than likely a stage 3 turbine. I'm not sure on how far the stock comp housing can be re contoured. I've never attempted anything because there is little benefit in most instances. The engines can't support the mass flow because of the intake limitations

bison said:
It will be whatever compressor you want that can physically fit in the stock housing and more than likely a stage 3 turbine. I'm not sure on how far the stock comp housing can be re contoured. I've never attempted anything because there is little benefit in most instances. The engines can't support the mass flow because of the intake limitations

I'm looking for a solid 400 hp & reliability, which should be pretty easy assuming all the right factors come to play.