Twilight Sentinel causing strange issues...I think

87gninpa

This is a continuation of the following thread:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/326778-turn-signal-issues.html

I started a new one because I think Ive narrowed down the problem to either the headlight/dimmer/or twilight sentinel switches.

Here is whats going on:
When I use the left turn signal all of the lights flash like hazards and the interior lights/gauges flash with the bilnker.

What I have done so far:
Replaced every bulb in the car with correct type, replaced front driver side corner light socket (for some reason this bulb doesnt flash with the rest of them, it flashes, but very dimly), checked and cleaned all grounds (fenders & trunk).

I also tried a new turn signal switch in the column and no go.

I also pulled the switches on the dash and noticed that when reinstalling the twilight sentinel dimmer the headlights stay on no matter what until I unplug it. Also, the amplifier behind the glove box clicks loudly when putting the switch in and out.

Is all of this related to the twilight sentinel, maybe the switch itself? Any help is really appreciated, this is turning into a huge pain.

Sounds like a bad lamp socket/ground issue still. Take each bulb out of its lens, and put the turn signal(s) on, and with a voltmeter or test light, touch the base of the bulb while in its socket and operating (the copper part). The one that causes your test light to light, or the one that shows voltage on your meter is/are the culprit(s)

Sounds like a bad lamp socket/ground issue still. Take each bulb out of its lens, and put the turn signal(s) on, and with a voltmeter or test light, touch the base of the bulb while in its socket and operating (the copper part). The one that causes your test light to light, or the one that shows voltage on your meter is/are the culprit(s)

I tested all of the bulbs (front & back), and none showed voltage on my voltmeter with the signals on. I actually went ahead and changed all of the sockets up front just to be sure and nothing.

I think I mentioned this before, but the only way to get the upper driver side light to flash with the signal is to hold the stalk in a certain position and it will flash, however when it does this, the rear lights do not flash.

Also, the hazards and brake cause my interior lights/gauges to illuminate as well as the left turn signal as stated previously. The only thing that does not cause them to light is the right hand turn signal.

I was starting to think it was the wire going to the front upper signal light, but the fact that it lights perfectly with the headlights on and flashes correctly with the stalk in a certain position has me thinking its not the wire.

Really dont know where else to go with this

Lift the carpet on the left side of the trunk and check the ground. Still sounds like a ground problem, although the turn signal not working right seems weird. There is no connection that I know of between turn signals and park/instrument lights, other than bulbs and their connections. The turn signal switch breaks the connection to the brake light ckt on the side asked to flash. Hmm, the upper lamp in front you talk about, this is the one next to the headlight? The side marker? Thats connected to the turn signal and park ckts. When the park lights are on, the turn signal ckt provides the ground, and when the turn signals are on with the park lights, it loses its ground when the turn signal is on, thats how it flashes opposite of the turn signal. Dont really get how it could only flash with the stalk on a certain spot and the signal works normally otherwise. Doesnt make sense. Is this a Limited with cornering lamps?

Yea, I've checked and re-checked the ground in the trunk. The wire looked a bit corroded, so I put a new ground wire in back there. Didnt make a difference, but it had to be done anyway.

Yes, the light in question is the parking lamp in the headlight bezel. Its very strange how its acting. With the signal on that side on, it does blink, but very faintly. However, it lights up fully fine with the parking lights/headlights on or when the stalk is in that specific spot.

One last thing I only just noticed now because it got dark out was that when hitting the brake pedal the parking lights light up (as well as the instrument panel lights as stated before).

The car is a GN, so obviously no cornering lights. Only out of the ordinary option is the twilight sentinel, and digital dash but I dont think either of those matter at this point.

I should also mention that at one point I pulled every single bulb out of the light sockets and still the interior lights/gauges would light when uring the left turn signal/hazards. Wouldnt this say that its not a bulb issue (cause there were no bulbs in there)?