two piece valve cover

QUIP'6'

Brian Roman
It would be nice to have a valve cover with a removable top. For valve train inspection, adjustment or retorque

Sent from my SCH-I100 using Turbo Buick

I made these a few months ago. Not completely done yet, but you get the picture.
20150602_145035.jpg
20150602_145217.jpg

That is the part Im working on. Easy peasy tho. Been Working on other parts and thats been taking all my time. My TA heads will be in next week, so I will get these V/C done soon. Weird I just seen this post and today I looked at those VC's and said to myself, "I need to get these done for the new heads".
I will get you pics when Im done. Im glad someone else thinks its a good idea too!

This seems like s GREAT idea to me. Are you using an o-ring to seat the lid? More photos as you move forward.
Conrad

Here you go. I didnt plan on making a bunch of sets, but I do have another set of the same valve covers I could do.
The main reason I did this is because I was tired of pulling the VC off and getting oil everywhere when priming, hearing a possible tick, or adding oil without the hole in the top. I use a canister style breather system and I like a clean look, so this is what I came up with.

20150715_130348.jpg
20150715_130503.jpg
20150715_131705.jpg
20150715_134754.jpg
20150715_134859.jpg
20150715_134911.jpg

Here you go. I didnt plan on making a bunch of sets, but I do have another set of the same valve covers I could do.
The main reason I did this is because I was tired of pulling the VC off and getting oil everywhere when priming, hearing a possible tick, or adding oil without the hole in the top. I use a canister style breather system and I like a clean look, so this is what I came up with.

View attachment 258246 View attachment 258247 View attachment 258248 View attachment 258249 View attachment 258250 View attachment 258251
Can you fab up some heads that I can change out the head gaskets without taking anything apart?

Haha! Ya, weld the heads to the block...lol
I have pics with the valve covers installed and getting ready to prime motor. I can adjust valves if needed too, but it would be easier to just take the four bolts out and pull the covers.

Haha! Ya, weld the heads to the block...lol
I have pics with the valve covers installed and getting ready to prime motor. I can adjust valves if needed too, but it would be easier to just take the four bolts out and pull the covers.
5858 for life!

Earl is also looking at making some, so keep your eyes open.:D

Probably wont' be soon. I'd rather get the finned cast alum oil and trans pans off the ground first as they'd be the easiest. Along with cast iron pancake pans of GN logos and stuff to accompany the pan of stick figures doing the nasty.
I'd hoped to have my own timing covers done by now but it turns out casting/machining those things are a lot more effort than I thought.

I've been brainstorming 2pc covers for a while. I just can't get a good mental image of a kit that will work, look good, not leak, not be interfered by the HVAC heat shield, and be easy enough to make, they don't coast a million bucks. So far, ti's just a fuzzy mental image.

So how serious are you guys about this ?
I rep two machine shops here in Florida and one in Alabama, we could machine a complete billet two pc set with O-ring seals and oil drippers, or even oil spray ports for the springs.
Could also do billet and sheetmetal versions ( alum )
Don't want to intrude on some else's livelihood, but its my job to find work for these shops and I have lots of labor available at good rates. No union BS and direct connection.
This would require a vendor fee on the board and that's fine with me as long as there is demand for production of at least 5-10 pcs of something.