You can type here any text you want

Type 2 ignition question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blacknight80

I pulled a ignition module from a 92 grand am with a 3.3 L for my type 2 swap. I repinned my 85 harness to work with the newer icm. The new module is keyed the same as my stoxck and plugs in no problem but had a different number on the side than gnttype lists as compatible and I haven't been able to find any info on the number when I search it. It has 1103910 2d28a on the side of the module and has 4249 2004 5800 laser printed into the bottom side. The golden question is will it work? If I plug it in to test it will it fry my ecm? I'll post a couple pictures.

Thanks

20150801_215846.jpg
20150801_215951.jpg

Attachments

• 20150801_220035.jpg
    20150801_220035.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 94
These types of swaps are normally researched well and hashed out by the users. If you are using the upgraded ecm for the h/a, I wouldn't take the chance. The guys on the h/a forum(non-intercooled) would be better at advising you.

Probably won't work. The 3300 engine is batch fire, no cam sensor is used. See if there are terminals in the ICM connector that match up for the cam sensor incoming signal and outgoing signal (to ECM).

RemoveBeforeFlight

The icm has the same amount of pins but I did notice when I cut the pontiac harness side connector off it had a fraction of the wires coming out of it compared to the buick. I just figured that they utilized the icm differently. It's strange that there would be more than one type of ignition module used on the 92 grand am with the 3.3 isn't it?

Well I guess it's time to break out the dumb questions.....am i actually looking at a part number or are these batch numbers or something and where is the part number for the 86-87 icm. I went to the junkyard looking for some candidates with no luck. I even pulled one off a 86 olds 88 and it was a plastic case unit. I tried a couple different cars off the gnttype list and I ended up bringing one home off a 89 98 that is keyed different so it's junk lol.

Last edited:
I may have been wrong, that ICM may work. What i did was go to RockAuto and looked up the AC Delco ICM for the 3.3l '92 Grand Am engine. It shows that it is also used on a bunch of Buick cars. LaSabre, '86-'88 was one, so looked at it in RockAuto and they list it as a 3.8l Buick engine. Which is good news.

I can get the ICM pinout for the '92 Grand AM if that helps.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Sure if it's not to much trouble. That way I can verify I'm not going to fry anything. Im still confused by the part number. Is the number on the side actually the part number? I looked online and I couldn't find any pics with a number printed on the side of the module like mine.

I don't have any idea about the part number. This should be correct:

Type-II_GrandAm_ICM-92.jpg

RemoveBeforeFlight

Back