Understanding the fast dash logger

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
Some people are having difficulty understanding the fast dash logger and how it is supposed to work, so I want to clarify a few items.

1. The fast dash can be thought as a separate computer with a processor and read only memory, you can;t program your fast through the dash.
2. The dash connects to all classic fast and fast XFI models. The classic fast use the rs-232 port and the XFI through the can bus. The can bus is a special type of communication network that uses 120 ohm resistors at each end of the connection. It provides a high speed connection of 500k per second transfer rate, and is a simple 2 wire connection labelled can LO and HI.
3. You must connect the dash to the PC and make a new calibration file using the dash software and upload it to the dash before the dash will connect to the fast, and enable the can bus A in the fast in the configuration menu.
4. Logs from the dash are in s different file format and must be downloaded to be viewed on the PC, using the dash software. However the dash will convert the file to XFI format if needed, to be viewed in the XFI software.
5. The blue screen version of the dash has been discontinued and can;t be changed in the software even though it shows you can.
6. Warnings can be set up to flash on the screen and an external output of up to 6 amps, on any parameter that goes out of range. However the settings are 1 dimensional, which means you could not apply any alarm based on boost or throttle/rpm at the same time.

The main advantage of the fast dash is that you can data log 8 inputs on top the xfi inputs up to 100 frames per second, and have the AF ratio right in front of your eyes.

thanks, norbs. been having a little trouble understanding mine....................

thanks, norbs. been having a little trouble understanding mine....................
No problem it is a complicated an powerful piece of tuning hardware, I would like to see some changes made for the better though.

I do really like having the a/f ratio, rpm and MAP displayed in real time, especially when staging the car. What many people don't think of is how much money can be spent on a tach, oil psi, water temp, boost and all other gauges we put in our cars. The dash is no more expensive than several of the high quality gauges combined.

I do really like having the a/f ratio, rpm and MAP displayed in real time, especially when staging the car. What many people don't think of is how much money can be spent on a tach, oil psi, water temp, boost and all other gauges we put in our cars. The dash is no more expensive than several of the high quality gauges combined.

Plus the dash has way better resolution than the XFI. Not being limited to 16 or so channels is also a plus.

Allan G.

Also the alarm feature could be used for safety, ie oil pressure, egt, etc. I am working with PCS to try and get some things improved.

Plus the dash has way better resolution than the XFI. Not being limited to 16 or so channels is also a plus.

Allan G.
Allan the classic fast was limted to 14 sensors, the XFI can log even more than 24 sensors, but after 24 the frame rate drops to 10 or 15 FPS. Anyway its a lot of info you could log either way. The fast logging is the best i have seen in visual representation and ease of use, I consider it the best feature of the fast, way better than other ecu;s

Allan the classic fast was limted to 14 sensors, the XFI can log even more than 24 sensors, but after 24 the frame rate drops to 10 or 15 FPS. Anyway its a lot of info you could log either way. The fast logging is the best i have seen in visual representation and ease of use, I consider it the best feature of the fast, way better than other ecu;s
Norbs,
Was refering to internal data logger.

Allan G.

FAST Dash Datalogger is really cool. Removed all my gauges and replaced them with a single display. Could be a better product if FAST spent more time interfacing it with the XFI. It'd also be nice if you could have an event trigger and stop logging.

FAST Dash Datalogger is really cool. Removed all my gauges and replaced them with a single display. Could be a better product if FAST spent more time interfacing it with the XFI. It'd also be nice if you could have an event trigger and stop logging.

Why not use the TPS to trigger ? There may be a work-around for what you are trying to accomplish.

Allan G.

You can use the TPS to trigger I just tested it, set any analog input 1-6, to datalog enable, set voltage to negative mode, and input your tps set points through the XFI. However I have attempted to do this using KPA and it has been unsuccessful, seems its not reading the kpa input from the fast for some reason.

Okay, I'll try using the TPS to trigger. Thanks guys.

Yes, Ground the input OR you can wire it to a switchable ground to enable data logging if you don't want it to trigger all the time at the triggered TPS signal.

You can use the TPS to trigger I just tested it, set any analog input 1-6, to datalog enable, set voltage to negative mode, and input your tps set points through the XFI. However I have attempted to do this using KPA and it has been unsuccessful, seems its not reading the kpa input from the fast for some reason.

Norbs,

Did you make sure your using the same units as XFI? If the Dash is set up for PSI, your values may be way to high to trigger.
Allan G.

I set everything to KPA and I can;t get it to work, if you have success, maybe its something I am doing wrong. On another topic I do know the AF for the alarms is only accepting lambda.

I just wish the dash was more the shape of the racepak dash rather than the large square that it currently is.

Even thouugh the shape isn't perfect, it can be made to fit in a stock dash pretty well

Cal\'s I phone 264.JPG
Cal\'s I phone 263.JPG

Heres a crude video of the display ........keep volume low music is loud

For the "improvement list": Is there any chance that a downloadable software package compatible with the Sony tablet or iPad could be produced to perform these functions in addition to tuning the ECU? Basically an "all in one" setup? It would be killer to have it capabable of both with the ability to select a variety of variable displays & formats in color. Their wifi capabilities would be useful for remote expert tuning and I am probably just scratching the surface in the suggestion. Maybe the device ports currently supported by these tablets are not capable of serving as proper com ports at this time? It sure would a lot nicer than having to deal with the bulkiness of a laptop. Maybe I am way off target with this pipe dream?