You can type here any text you want

unuseable billlet roller cams:(

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

norbs

Classic fast, XFI, SPortsman & MS3 programming
I need a solution here. I have 2 cams that i can't use on my stage 1 block because the oil hole gets uncovered over 545 lift, even with the crane sheilded foot lifters. They are 575 lift and 600 lift, 224 rolllers. Who makes a lifter to solve this problem?

thanks

norb

If you mean solids,good luck,I dont think there are any that will work in the Stage 1 block,I have the reg hydo rollers right now but nay change them to the new comp one soon,
I have heard you can bush the lifter bores and use different lifters,obviously morw work,Or getr a cam that has a low base circle

Why not bush the lifter bores, Norbs. That'd help with oil pressure, too, if you keep the oil holes down to .125 or so.

Originally posted by KLHAMMETT
.......,Or get a cam that has a low base circle

Or you can have your cam re-ground on a smaller base circle. We have had that done.:)

You can also convert a hyd lifter to a solid and solve the oiling issues. My machinist did this to my TSS motor and it worked out really well. I'm not sure how he did it but I know he took the lifter apart to do it and it wasn't difficult. It is a common mod for circle track motors that are required to run hyd cams.

I may have to go that route. BUt doesn't someback a better lifter i thought ta peformance has got a new lifter?

Originally posted by norbs
I may have to go that route. BUt doesn't someback a better lifter i thought ta peformance has got a new lifter?

Tell me more!!!

MY keyboard is sticking, i usually don't spell that bad. I read somewhere about the lifters on here, but can't find it now:confused:

The TA solid roller lifter still must use a small base circle cam.

I have one set in stock.

WHat is the cost to grind the base circle down on an exsiting cam?

Be careful grinding your cam with too small a base circle. You want to avoid grinding through the heat treat.

Dave

I thought billet rollers are not heat treated?

Billet rollers blanks are heat treated before they are ground. The heat treating only goes to a certain depth (not all the way through). The depth of the heat treat depends on the time and temp of the heat treating. The core is left untreated for ductility.

Dave

So basicallly i can;t regind the safely?

Send me your cam norbs and I will have it done for you. We have 2 of them running right now with no problems.:)

Norbs,

Many cores can be safely reground at least once. But when your goal is to simply reduce the base circle of the cam, you might run into a problem going into the soft metal. It really depends on how deep the heat treating goes.

Any cam company can regrind your cam.

Dave

Thanks, but the cheapest solutiion maybe to convert the hyd rollers to solid?

Norbs,

That will work, but I wonder how durable those converted lifters will be. I'd consider bushing the lifter bores and run a good set of Isky lifters or any other true mechanical roller lifter.

Just a thought.

Dave

I am gonna jump in since I am in the same boat. I bought Chris Lyons TSS setup with the converted lifters. While he had no problems and ran this motor with much success, two pairs of lifters failed on me. The tie bars came apart , causing some damage. I am very leary of running these again. I bought the Crowers with the hi-po oiling (hole EDM'ed from the lifter oil band to the tip bearings). But the also uncover the oil passage. Looking through the oil galley with the plugs removed it looks like about .030 of a hemorrage. Looks like I am gonna have to regrind the cam.

The cam guys say I can safely regrind the cam without going through the heat treat. I hope this is true.

I wonder if the .030 leak is going to be a big problem or not since the cam spends very little time at high lift?
It might be ok?

Back