You can type here any text you want

Used Cam, new lifters, install procedure

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

Couple questions here guys. First off, I have a used Comp Cam I plan to use (Hydraulic flat tappet). I dont have the lifters that were run with this cam but i do have two sets of new lifters. One set is Comps and the other set is ACDelco.

Which would you use, ACDelco or Comp? Which is better?

Do I need to soak these in oil before installing them?

Rub Assy Lube on th outside and bottom prior to installation or use the Comp Lube on the bottom and assy lube on the sides? May sound like a dumb question but I've read that people have different opinions on the lube.

Soak the lifters,coat the bottoms then add a ton of ZDDP. Cross your fingers,
fire it up and run it for 2500-3000 rpms for an hour at least. Dont put your tools away though. You might be needing them to do the job over again after you eat a lobe.
A cam is what... 130 bucks new? Some people get lucky.
Not busting your chops. just my opinion. thanks ! Steve

You'd be better off getting a new cam with that cryo treatment. I agree with the previous poster except I'd run it between 1500 and 2000 rpm for 20 minutes. Keep the engine temp between 180-200*.

I know it would be best to buy another new cam. BUT... I have about 6 cams here. All have been used very little. None have matching lifters. I'd like to use a couple of these cam up and would hate to just throw them in the trash. Thats why I bought a couple new sets of lifters, so I could re-break these cams in and use them up.

I have put new lifters on used cams several times with no issues. As long as the cams are in good shape you shouldn't have a problem. Use the AC/Delco lifters :)

Thats what I was thinking too. So just soak them in oil for an hour? Use assy lube on the bottoms or the comp assy lube?

Couple questions here guys. First off, I have a used Comp Cam I plan to use (Hydraulic flat tappet). I dont have the lifters that were run with this cam but i do have two sets of new lifters. One set is Comps and the other set is ACDelco...............

Here is my opinion, use the ZDDP paste on the cam and lifters. Do NOT soak them in oil.

Also add ZDDP to the fresh oil and run up oil pressure with a drill. Turn the crank to different positions as you do this.

Change oil, never use synthetic, within 100 miles. :(

Always add ZDDP with every oil change which should be between 1000 and 3000 miles depending on type of driving.

Since we have built over 500 Buick turbo V-6 engine builds over the years, only 2 have wiped cams. Both customers used Mobil I.

Nick, can I buy the ZDDP paste at the parts store? I plan to finish the top end of the motor off today.

I agree with Nick--also

Here is my opinion, use the ZDDP paste on the cam and lifters. Do NOT soak them in oil.

Also add ZDDP to the fresh oil and run up oil pressure with a drill. Turn the crank to different positions as you do this.

Change oil, never use synthetic, within 100 miles. :(

Always add ZDDP with every oil change which should be between 1000 and 3000 miles depending on type of driving.

Since we have built over 500 Buick turbo V-6 engine builds over the years, only 2 have wiped cams. Both customers used Mobil I.

If a used cam has a fish eye pattern (don't know of a better way to explain) on the ramps it is GOOD as a new one. Or better !!!

Nick,

Do you recommend using Mobile 1 after the cam is broken in or just plain dyno oil? What brand do you recommend? I am currently using Mobile 1 along with the ZDDP additive in my DD but if the Mobile 1 is not going to do the job of preventing cam lobe wear down the road then I need to change to the recommended oil.

OK so here is what I do.

I prefer to soak the lifters after they have been thoroughly cleaned

Cover the cam lobes and bearing areas with break in lube.

Cover the lifter faces with break in lube.

install the new cam and lifters.

Replace the valve springs with an old 100,000 mile set of factory original valve springs.

Complete the valve train install

fill the engine with 10-30 dino oil, I prefer the rotella T.

Replace 1 quart of oil with 1 quart GM EOS.

Prime oiling system while turnning crank. ( Can be by hand or starter with no spark plugs installed. )

Complete all other assembly fro start up.

Start engine and check for leaks to make sure nothing is leaking. Make sure you are ready to run for 20 minutes with no interruptions

Start engine and bring to 2000 rpm and hold it there for 20 minutes.

Change oil and filter.

Again use dino oil ( I prefer rotella T and 1 bottle EOS )

Drive for 500 miles

Change oil again using dino oil and EOS

Put 1500 to 2000 miles in this configuration. Not too easy but not too hard.

Change valve springs to correct ones for the application and oil using dino oil

put about 2 to 3 thousand miles on motor.

Change to synthetic if you so desire. I personally still use dino.

I have never had a good flat tappet fail doing this same procedure from fords to chevys to buicks unless something external acted onthe cam. I ave had only 1 failuer that was due to trash in the engine not the break in procedure.

This is a lengthy process but after 12 years I have never had a flat tappet cam "lunch itself" using this procedure.

Hope it helps

to add to the above post

During breakin time I overfill 1-2 qts as most of your lifter lube is from splash and drain back oil.

Back