Vacuum Brake Issues

shumpertdavid

I've got an 82 regal with a Carb'd 3.8. Currently it has a basically stock long block with a comp cam on a 110 lobe serperation, intake, carb, headers, 125 hp nitrous. I only make about 7" vacuum idling in gear if memory serves correct. My problem is that when making multiple low speed stops or like moving through the staging lanes up to the line, I run out of braking assist as there is no vacuum. My new engine combo will be 10:1, more cam than current(lift & dur) with a 112 lobe seperation, ported heads, and more nitrous.

My Question is; is there anything I can do to get better vacuum assist(different year\style booster, things like that), or would a conversion to hydroboost work better for me? I saw several posts where Turbo owners were converting to vacuum so wasn't sure.

Any advice\help would be greatly appreciated.

You might try a vacuum can before you trash the vacuum brakes. Do you have the dual diaphram booster? I have a booster off a normally aspired 84-87Regal and it worked fine, even under boost. I removed it due to problems holding my GN on the starting line with rear disk brakes.
Conrad

If you're only getting 7 inches of vac at idle you must be running a huge cam. You might want to post all the specs for it. As far as the brakes you will add weight but the hydroboost system will give you more braking power.

The car in a 1982. I'm not sure if it's a dual diaphram or not. To my knowledge it has never been replaced. My mom bought the car in 84, and I'm pretty sure I've done all the brake work on it.

At idle in gear in makes @ 7", it makes about 12" in park or neutral.

The car in a 1982. I'm not sure if it's a dual diaphram or not. To my knowledge it has never been replaced. My mom bought the car in 84, and I'm pretty sure I've done all the brake work on it.

At idle in gear in makes @ 7", it makes about 12" in park or neutral.

A dual diaphram is about 9" in size and the single is about 12" from what I remember.