Valve cover gasket ...sealant

jburnsinnj

I have a new set of valve cover gaskets, Fel Pro cork material. I used Permatex copper spray to hold them nicely to the covers. Do you put any sealant on the side that touches against the head or instell them dry ? Thanks....

I have a new set of valve cover gaskets, Fel Pro cork material. I used Permatex copper spray to hold them nicely to the covers. Do you put any sealant on the side that touches against the head or instell them dry ? Thanks....

Install them dry. Are these stock valve covers?

I cleaned everything, got it flat as possible, installed dry.....still a oil leak.

I'm gonna use good amount of Hi temp RTV O2 safe, I would advise if your not sure, add some RTV and let it semi dry them install but don't over TQ it .My .02$

How long before they leaked? I snug up my bolts every few months, no leaks. If you put sealant on the head, then the gasket won't come off cleanly with the valve cover and you will have more scraping to do.

Stock valve covers should not need any sealant. Maybe just a little weather strip adhesive.

Keep in mind silicon does not stick to cork.

Stock valve covers should not need any sealant. Maybe just a little weather strip adhesive.

Keep in mind silicon does not stick to cork.

I'm thinking I should just use RTV by itself then. It didn't even last a day for the leak to come back. I tighten the bolts and still, it's not hard for me to get to the valve covers, but that's not the point. I want it to seal damn it and last.

Felpro blue gaskets

I like the FELPRO Blue ruberized gaskets.

I used a little 3M yellow adhesive to hold them to the valve covers and they held fine. Then simply place the valve covers in place and torque them down appropriately. No sealant on the gasket that touches the head (DRY)>

If you do have a leak after this, there is another existing problem that is not related to the gasket seat.

Good Luck!

Valve cover leak

If you are going to be removing them on a regular basis retourqing head bolts etc use baby powder that will keep the gaskest from sticking and will not cause leaks if not use Indian head sealant works great and wont squeeze out like silicone dont use silicone gets in to retun ports and just makes a mess:biggrin: