You can type here any text you want

Varishock coilovers?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I dont have the coilovers but I do have the shocks themselves. Double adj. in the front. Single adj. in the rear. Have not driven the car with them on and won't till the spring after the snow melts.

They are a designed by Chris Alston.

VariShock - Adjustable Shock Absorbers

Coil overs are ouch pricey but I wonder in the end how much better they are than the typical lowering springs? I do like the height adjustment option. jdpolzin {Jermey} is giving me his expert advise on setting up my car. Maybe he'll chime in on this.

I have QA1's that I got from Cotton's (for alot less), and I really like them. Havent had a chance to get it to the track with them, but once adjusted they are great on the street!

I'm personally in favor for anything that has adjustability. wether it be shocks or 3-piece rims the adjustability can't be beat! I personally think the dual adjustable coil overs are WAY better than just a lowering spring and a basic gas shock for Several reasons-

1) Adjust the ride height MUCH easyier and more precise than a spring.

2) Be able to tune in your Compression & Rebound of your suspension.

I will be going with ALL-4 coil over shocks very soon... ;)

Scot W.

The coilover is just not necessary to get ur car to sit right. Would certaily make it easier but the ease comes with a price. Id rather but my money elsewhere.

Not knocken em.... cause id certainly trade mine in for a set if they were free.:)

The coilover is just not necessary to get ur car to sit right. Would certaily make it easier but the ease comes with a price. Id rather but my money elsewhere.

Not knocken em.... cause id certainly trade mine in for a set if they were free.:)

I'd have to agree!

Coil over set ups have been used successfully for quite some time now but i have a few concerns about them in the front end. I do fully believe in rear coil overs due to our cars lateral movement in the rear factory 4 link.

Another point to make, once you have your car set where you want it, how many times are you going to adjust/re-align the front? Probably not much.

With a static drop, your set and dont have to rely on the weight of front end on a single knuckle. With springs, the weight is spread out.

We had a local club members 71 Vette on a coil over set up, not sure what the brand was off the top of my head. But, after 3 years of driving, the coil overs sagged enough that we couldnt adjust them high enough to drive on. When we removed the set up, we noticed the joint on the coil overs, each side, had hairline cracks where it tied to the lower control arms. Not good! Mikes Vette is now static dropped with the stock lower ams, springs, and tall BJ's. Another odd thing we noticed is, when we removed the lower control arms, the bolts had seized into the bushings. I'm not sure whether is was just because of the crappy polly bushings of because the coil overs allowed it bind. Anybody else ran into this problem? I know for a fact I greased the piss out of the control arm bolts when we initially installed the coil over set up. Anybody else have this same experience?

LOL Ha, Ha YOU of all people speaking about price and cost? lol EVERYTHING comes with a price! Look at what your dumping into your "Street" car... lol

SW.

LOL Ha, Ha YOU of all people speaking about price and cost? lol EVERYTHING comes with a price! Look at what your dumping into your "Street" car... lol

SW.

Instead of "Street" car, we should say "Sweet" car!!!:cool:

I run the QA1 coil over single adjustment with a 450 lb spring. I did not like them on stock A arms because of the way they mounted on the bottom with 2 bolts, they make a plate that mounts to the lower shock with a round plate on it to spread the load now. I have adjusted once on them raising them up very little, had the alinement checked and it was dead on what it was from before.
I liked them because I was tired of guessing what height the car would sit at with standard spring setup. It is not bad to raise just get the right tool and make sure the threads are clean and you have anti seize on them. It will make the job easy. I love the adjustable shocks the tuneability is awsome. Now my car is set up to handle, not a drag setup, so I don't know how well those work.
I do recommend using them with aftermarket A arms, because you can order them just for this application. I have BMR on mine.

I run the QA1 coil over single adjustment with a 450 lb spring. I did not like them on stock A arms because of the way they mounted on the bottom with 2 bolts, they make a plate that mounts to the lower shock with a round plate on it to spread the load now. I have adjusted once on them raising them up very little, had the alinement checked and it was dead on what it was from before.
I liked them because I was tired of guessing what height the car would sit at with standard spring setup. It is not bad to raise just get the right tool and make sure the threads are clean and you have anti seize on them. It will make the job easy. I love the adjustable shocks the tuneability is awsome. Now my car is set up to handle, not a drag setup, so I don't know how well those work.
I do recommend using them with aftermarket A arms, because you can order them just for this application. I have BMR on mine.
Xcessive, where'd you get your red coil packs? You can pm me the info if you like, thanks.

I run the QA1 economy coilovers. The shock is non adjustable but ride height is fully adjustable. I am very happy with them so far. The ride is smooth and not harsh. An adjustable shock is nice but these were 335 from summit or jegs which isnt that far off from the price of a new pair of bilsteins and front lowering springs.

How's the weight transfer with the non adjustable QA1 setup??

I doubt your gonna be yanking the wheels off the ground with em but I managed some consistent high 1.5 60s the last time I was out. I would probably go for a fully adjustable setup if you are looking for some serious 60 ft times. I can try and find a vid on youtube and post it later that shows the transfer but youtube is blocked here at work

which isnt that far off from the price of a new pair of bilsteins and front lowering springs.
EXACTLY!! Thats what I was wondering why some would waste time installing / buying several sets of springs to get the desired ride height they want when you can just buy these Once and install Once! Because in the end after the time and money the coil over shocks look like the way to go.

SW.

SW if they where better valved for drag racing I think alot more people would go towards them. Our cars suffer enough from having the instant center so far off... the lack of suspension travel would just make it worse.

You dont loose any suspension travel with a coil over, if you choose the drag race version with different valving in the shock and spring combo meant for drag racing you should not have a problem. Plus the setup is lighter than a stock style spring and shock combo. If the car is setup for drag racing without the swaybar attached you should get full extension of the front suspension.

Back