volkswagon t.d.i. anyone?

eiuskoalman

I've got the opportunity to pick up a 99 jetta t.d.i. for a pretty friendly price and wanted to know if any of you had any feedback about vw's tdi cars. its got a few mods that really make it seem like you're driving a gasser and has accomplished over 50 mpg on the highway. seems like a good candidate for a work commute car. any input?

We had a manual tranny one...About a 2001 Model. Good car, great mileage, but was way too small for my to go long distances in. Had a few small things on the interior that used to drive me crazy. The door locks rattled when locked and the cup holder covered up the radio when you had a drink in it. Would I buy another one? Probably not as diesel is not cheap now and I would comfort ranks pretty high with me right now. HTH

old boss at work had one, aside from them telling him to do the timing belt every 40K, it was a GREAT car....maybe b4black can shed some light on the maintenance sched's of them now

:)

my mechanic who specializes in european and high end japanese cars has one and he absolutely loves it. my mom drives a ton now because of her job and i've been trying to get her to pick one up. you can't find them on the lots around here though. i dunno if they just don't make a lot or if people buy them as soon as any show up.

tdi all the way weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

eiuskoalman said:
I've got the opportunity to pick up a 99 jetta t.d.i. for a pretty friendly price and wanted to know if any of you had any feedback about vw's tdi cars. its got a few mods that really make it seem like you're driving a gasser and has accomplished over 50 mpg on the highway. seems like a good candidate for a work commute car. any input?[/QUOTE

weird thing about this is Id actually consider one for trade on one of my gns for practicality reasons cause I own 2 gns and a 89 396 stroker vette so maybe this is why

Alan

Tdi

We have one. My wife drives it and is quite happy with it. It is totally stock and has about 120,000 on it. It gets about 45 MPG and has been a good car for us. It performs well and will go as fast as you want it to go on the highway. We will replace it with another when it is time to trade.

I'm suprised to see so many positive VW comments. I posted a couple of weeks ago asking opinions about VW TDI's and didn't get very good responses. I did alot of internet searching and came to the conclusion that VW's are pretty quirky just like most if not all German cars. I also saw alot of bad feedback about VW service.

I decided to buy a Saab 92-X (WRX Wagon rebadged) and can't wait to get it sometime in the next week or so. As much as I like the idea of good gas mileage I will enjoy the Saab a whole lot more since it takes me and my wife back to our sportscar roots and still has a little utility. I bought a Saab because it was 5K cheaper than the WRX due to GM's current sale. BTW Sub's have great reviews, hold their value well, plus I can't get any negative feedback out of one Subaru owner I know.

thanks for the input guys! looks like some pretty positive feedback aside from rattles from the door locks and small size (not a big issue to a guy that stands 5'1" ). looks like i've got myself a new work car. Aaron