Water Pump

Rayk

Let the Boost begin!
I might have to replace the water pump in my Regal. Looks like NAPA and Auto Zone are popular. Is the high performance pump from TA worth the extra $150+??

I don’t know much about the TA water pump other than Duttweiler was involved with the testing of it some years back and it did show improved cooling compared to a stock pump. I don’t have any real data so take that for what it’s worth.

The consensus I found when looking into water pumps is that the parts store one’s will probably work just fine for most. Personally, I used a FlowKooler 1621 1973-1987 Buick Cadillac Chevy GM Olds Pontiac Grand National 196

I don’t know much about the TA water pump other than Duttweiler was involved with the testing of it some years back and it did show improved cooling compared to a stock pump. I don’t have any real data so take that for what it’s worth.

The consensus I found when looking into water pumps is that the parts store one’s will probably work just fine for most. Personally, I used a FlowKooler 1621 1973-1987 Buick Cadillac Chevy GM Olds Pontiac Grand National 196
I can relay the exact same sentiment.

I also have the Flowkooler. It solved an issue with higher-than-I'd-like temperatures at mid-range engine speeds. But if your engine isn't heavily modified, a stock parts store replacement should be fine.

FlowKooler for the Win 🏁
Buy once & be done ! 👍

FlowKooler for the Win 🏁
Buy once & be done ! 👍

This. It costs more than the parts store one but it is a quality piece.

I just used the cheapest one from the local parts store.
I'm done buying cheap auto parts. My time is more valuable than having to replace the same part multiple times, so I just buy the best and move on with my life.

Just curious, what’s wrong with the current water pump ?
I just bought the car last week and it's been leaking slightly from the water pump weep hole. Maybe a cup every couple of days. The car had been sitting for almost a year without being driven so, I'm giving it a chance to stop of its own accord. Seems to be leaking less today. Before buying a new pump I'll add some of the Delco stop leak pellets which have worked before for very small leaks. I just want to be ready to buy a new pump if the leak persists.

I just bought the car last week and it's been leaking slightly from the water pump weep hole. Maybe a cup every couple of days. The car had been sitting for almost a year without being driven so, I'm giving it a chance to stop of its own accord. Seems to be leaking less today. Before buying a new pump I'll add some of the Delco stop leak pellets which have worked before for very small leaks. I just want to be ready to buy a new pump if the leak persists.
Ah, thanks for your reply. I got very similar issue going on too. I suspect it’s my water pump as well. I can smell coolant only when I drive it for a bit. Seen some coolant drops near the oil drain plug after a cruise. Need to pressurize the coolant system and verify. Getting to damm old to be crawling under this car anymore lol.

Ah, thanks for your reply. I got very similar issue going on too. I suspect it’s my water pump as well. I can smell coolant only when I drive it for a bit. Seen some coolant drops near the oil drain plug after a cruise. Need to pressurize the coolant system and verify. Getting to damm old to be crawling under this car anymore lol.
You and me both, brother.

Swap it ASAP. It's only gonna get worse...and it's not a bad job to do from a time stand point.

I'm done buying cheap auto parts. My time is more valuable than having to replace the same part multiple times, so I just buy the best and move on with my life.
I think much of the issue guys have is the cars sit for long periods of time and seals/gaskets dry out. I have a friend that's a parts manager and he let's me know who the part is made by ;)