Weber/Janis Combo 'The Beast' First run at track

Evaddave 87gn

Always learning...
(The car from posting http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/347532-weber-janis-raise-beast.html)

Saturday was the first trip to the track for the new combo. It has been a long time since I have gone, and my reaction time shows it. The weather was cool 55-60F, sunny and not much wind. Running 5gals of 93 +2 gals of 100.

I took the car to the track knowing I was running rich and timing was in the lower range. I wanted to get some base numbers to work with for next year, as there are a couple issues I need to work out before I try to really open her up.

I was running the basic tune I got from TurboBuRick on my maftpro. The first pass I ran at 18deg, 22-23lbs and 10.9afr, left at 0lbs. I ran a 12.001s @ 119.81mph.

Second run: same setup but left at 3lbs, 11.697s @ 111.94mph got some knock at the top of the course retard maxed at 2.8 and had to lift peddle with 50-75 feet to go.

Third run: bumped fuel up 3% overall and 2% in the high load above 4500rpm set alky to kick on at 15lbs and go to max by 20, left at 8lbs. FRIED THE TIRES AT THE LINE…..WAY TO COLD TO LEAVE THAT HOT!!! Car felt great in at the top of track, she was pulling very hard 14.03s @ 115.74mph.

Fourth run: same setup as third run, but dropped tire pressure to 18lbs. left at 2lbs. Car was flat and not pulling in upper range. 12.30s @ 108.6. Late sat. night upon reviewing the Tuner Pro files, I saw that boost did not hit 19 lbs and I never hit fourth gear. When I looked under hood, I found that the PCV hose was blowing off the throttle body.

The only thing of question is a noise I heard in the first three runs, (did not hear it on the last run), kind of a thump/groan somewhere after 2-3 shift. Not sure but I think it may have been convertor locking up. At first, I thought I was bottoming out the tires. However, I could not find any evidence of that. It is a TCS 9-11 set at 3400 stall. Any thoughts?

I'll post up some video Tonight.

Attachments

• First Run 12.001.pdf
    689.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Second Run 11.692.pdf
    664.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Third run 14.03.pdf
    640.5 KB · Views: 63
Your car ran fine first run.. made great MPH.. Just had a soft 60 foot.

Second run it experienced knock. Why would you make changes after that run? I mean if one run it works great and makes great MPH.. why screw with it. Then run it again now it picks up knock. Why did it knock on the second run and not the first? This is why you need to make multiple passes and not mess with the tune to get a baseline and set a bench mark. When you start messing with timing, fueling, etc.. you bury yourself.

Especially with a brand new engine. I also dont get the alky settings and reason behind them. If the car picks up knock second run.. figure out why that happened and get it back to 120 MPH.

Hope this helps. The things that are working leave alone. There is plenty on your plate.

Changes

Your car ran fine first run.. made great MPH.. Just had a soft 60 foot.

Second run it experienced knock. Why would you make changes after that run? I mean if one run it works great and makes great MPH.. why screw with it. Then run it again now it picks up knock. Why did it knock on the second run and not the first? This is why you need to make multiple passes and not mess with the tune to get a baseline and set a bench mark. When you start messing with timing, fueling, etc.. you bury yourself.

Especially with a brand new engine. I also dont get the alky settings and reason behind them. If the car picks up knock second run.. figure out why that happened and get it back to 120 MPH.

Hope this helps. The things that are working leave alone. There is plenty on your plate.

After I reread my post I see I didn't state my original alky settings. From the start I was running alky set to start at 15lbs and max at 26lbs.

Why, I changed settings? Well running a new engine and seeing knock tends to make me a little nervous. So adding the extra fuel was to keep the knock down. When I took a brief look at the run I saw my afr was jumping between 10.9 and 11.4, so to ensure I was rich I added fuel. I suppose in hind site I should have ran it again just to see if it knocked again. Well I got all winter to figure it out.

Thanks for the input. Any idea on the thump?

After I reread my post I see I didn't state my original alky settings. From the start I was running alky set to start at 15lbs and max at 26lbs.

Why, I changed settings? Well running a new engine and seeing knock tends to make me a little nervous. So adding the extra fuel was to keep the knock down. When I took a brief look at the run I saw my afr was jumping between 10.9 and 11.4, so to ensure I was rich I added fuel. I suppose in hind site I should have ran it again just to see if it knocked again. Well I got all winter to figure it out.

Thanks for the input. Any idea on the thump?

No ideas on the thump unless its something mechanical underneath the car like downpipe banging on the floor board, tailpipe hitting the axle, etc.

The hardest thing to do is not mess with the car when its running right. Its an itch everyone wants to scratch. And is known to create more dramam than it solves.

Your alky settings on the first run netted 119 mph and a clean run. From there changes happened and the car went down hill. For a motor on its maiden voyage it should have been run way richer in the 10-10.5:1 AFR range. If you get knock, you should of added alcohol not fuel. I dont know who's kit your running, if you have enough volume, if your using methanol or a mix 50/50, or.. that one's on you. But something happened on the top of your second run that brought upon knock and the motor leaning out. Possible bad fuel pump, not enough gas in the tank, not enough alcohol, etc.. But your first run is the benchmark and from there it went down hill.

Next year, dont fret about the 60 foot. 60 is easy.. the hard part is getting consistant air fuel readings and drill the mph as that is your indicator of HP. Once you have a stable MPH.. work on 60 :D. Go under and start inspecting for things that can bang. Even a motor mount??