You can type here any text you want

What is a "109 Block"?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

~JM~

Wrinkled Member
Is this an ID number for a turbo specific block?

What are the differences between a 109 Block & a standard block?

Thanks
~JM~

109 is the last three numbers of the part number for the last rwd block. Its nothing special. Every 86-89 3.8 powered rwd GM car had one of them.

109 is the last three numbers of the part number for the last rwd block. Its nothing special. Every 86-89 3.8 powered rwd GM car had one of them.

Sniff (wipes tear from eye) .... I thought I was special.... my mom always said I was special.....and she always said "But not in the way your teachers say"......

So now you're somehow saying I'm special, and unique..... just like everyone else.... only different?

I'm just so confused....... :confused:

Sniff (wipes tear from eye) .... I thought I was special.... my mom always said I was special.....and she always said "But not in the way your teachers say"......

So now you're somehow saying I'm special, and unique..... just like everyone else.... only different?

I'm just so confused....... :confused:
Your block is special in that it is stronger than earlier blocks because of thicker webbing. The SG1 109 blocks are a little bit stronger yet because of a higher nickel content. Stop crying and do some push ups soldier!

............... The SG1 109 blocks are a little bit stronger yet because of a higher nickel content. .............

I have also heard years ago that all the Buick blocks were the same as far as nickel content, since you are from Flint, Buick's home, maybe you could find more info about this, thanks. :)

I have also heard years ago that all the Buick blocks were the same as far as nickel content, since you are from Flint, Buick's home, maybe you could find more info about this, thanks. :)
A local guy named Jeff Harrington of Flushing Michigan confirmed this for me. I don't think he worked in the foundry,but a good friend of his did. Jeff worked and I'm pretty sure still works at Buick. Have you ever noticed the different look of the metal of an SG1 block compared to a 109? It's shinier like a nickel. Jeff told me that his friend laughed when he heard of people debating this fact and said to Jeff " I was there. I saw it."

Ah... I'm familiar with the Cadillac 500 block as being higher in nickle content. Hard stuff to grind on.

~JM~

Your block is special in that it is stronger than earlier blocks because of thicker webbing. The SG1 109 blocks are a little bit stronger yet because of a higher nickel content. Stop crying and do some push ups soldier!
The webbing isnt thicker than earlier blocks and there is no added nickel to any production block. A stage 1 or stage 2 has the thicker webbing and high nickel casting

A local guy named Jeff Harrington of Flushing Michigan confirmed this for me. I don't think he worked in the foundry,but a good friend of his did. Jeff worked and I'm pretty sure still works at Buick. Have you ever noticed the different look of the metal of an SG1 block compared to a 109? It's shinier like a nickel. Jeff told me that his friend laughed when he heard of people debating this fact and said to Jeff " I was there. I saw it."
I'm laughing. Until I see a metallurgy analysis done proving there is a higher nickel content I will continue to laugh. Someone did one and posted results long ago. The stage blocks had higher nickel content. Nothing used for production did. SG1 doesnt mean crap. I've seen blocks from the late 70's early 80's with SG in the casting. All production blocks are equally weak in the mains. They commonly crack up the #2 main into the cam bearing bore. They were engineered for about 400hp.

the block in my car has a 1979 casting date and "SG1" cast into the side of it.

the first time i saw it, my first thought was "cool.. Jack O'Neill approves"..

Ah... I'm familiar with the Cadillac 500 block as being higher in nickle content. Hard stuff to grind on.

~JM~
The 1976 455 Buick blocks also had a higher nickel content than earlier blocks.

I'm laughing. Until I see a metallurgy analysis done proving there is a higher nickel content I will continue to laugh. Someone did one and posted results long ago. The stage blocks had higher nickel content. Nothing used for production did. SG1 doesnt mean crap. I've seen blocks from the late 70's early 80's with SG in the casting. All production blocks are equally weak in the mains. They commonly crack up the #2 main into the cam bearing bore. They were engineered for about 400hp.
So,the webbing isn't noticeably beefier,the look of the metal isn't noticeably different,and the eye witness at the foundry is wrong. I guess there's no more to say.

Back