What is the stupidest question that was asked about you TR at show or cruise?

stupid car salesman

10 years ago when i was buying my GN, the car salesman said "this GN came out the factory with 300 hp". i looked at him and knew right away not to believe him.

A different slant, but the same sore of stupid people.

A very bright red 55 Chevy 2dr was parked at the front door of Home Depot. This is a very busy store so there are a lot of people going by the car.

I walk over and notice that the bumper and all the window trim is painted red. Only the rims are chrome.

Well there are a few of us around the car when the kid comes out and people start asking him about the car. Well he has only had the car a few days and has not started working on it yet.

I ask if he has a sbc in it and he says "no its a 350"!

I just walked away, but once in a while I go over there in the GN, but haven't seen him.

My best carshow moment happened last year. I took my TTA to a local carshow and pop the hood, and no sooner than I pop the hood this total backwoods hillbilly with an IQ of I would guess about 30 (no offense anyone) comes out of nowhere (this is in the middle of California mind you, which is why this straight out of Deliverence guy is so funny.)

Anyways, the hillbilly looks at car and exclaims "Yeoooooooooowie! Ain't never seen one of these before, what's this thing?" as he proceeds to reach down and GRAB THE FREAKING TURBO RIGHT AT THE DOWNPIPE. Not just get near it then jerk back from the heat, he wraps his damn hand around it for a good half second!

A loud scream, sizzling, and a nasty smell ensues, and when he finally regains his composure he has to tell me "DAMN BOY! THAT THING IS F'IN HOT!"

Meanwhile, everyone around me is either in total shock or bent over laughing, and I'm left wondering if the guy is going to punch me for letting my car burn his hand, worse yet do something to my car, or worse still sue me (this is California after all). Instead he puts his very burned hand back around his cold beer and keeps walking. All I can figure is that he must have been drunk.

I also had a guy at another show with a 2002 WS6 T/A say "What the hell? A V6 Trans Am?" So I explained it to him, and he said I wasted my money and I could have bought a new car like he had and be way faster than my "wimpy V6" :rolleyes: I ended up following him home so he could get his car and I proceeded to show him who wasted their money ;)

Wow, 4 pages!.. I'll add mine ;)

Coming into work one day, one of the phone drones:

"Yo, thats a nice monte, yo."

"It aint a monte"

"naw dawg that sounded like a 305!"
(he's real excited about now)

"Really?.. its a v6." and continued to my slave cube

--
my neighbors:

my car is in the part of my driveway outside of our 6' fence, so they can see me waxing it (only shaded area ofcourse)...

redneck neighbor: "Boy's got himself a monte!"

--
This is the funniest though.. I had taken my car to good year/gemini ($75 an hour labor! haha) to get a couple dunlop GT Quals on there - they were a good deal, $140 installed and balanced! ,...anyhow.

the guy (ASE certified tech, btw) gets in my car, starts it up, proceeds to bring it into the garage.. reving it over and over again as if he cant just slowly push the gas pedal.. (as if its super powerful or something?) ..finally gets it in, and revs it just before he shuts it off! :rolleyes:

Now an hour later they're finished with it, the guy comes over to me:

Him "Thats a nice car there you got!"

Me "Thanks, but its just a ragged out one.."

Him "These cars are fast from waht i heard"

Me "Yea, they had a turbo v6, mines not intercooled, takes a little more work to get the HP out of them.."

Him "So how fast is it?"

Me "Slow.. but i know a couple guys around town that have some 11 second cars.."

Him "Wow, you can go 11's with a v6!?"

Me "Yea."

Him "Ahh uhh... well i'd put in a stroked 383 big block and go fast.."

Me "right.."

--
Thats all the best ones i can think of .. have yet to go to a car show.. (Yea, I suck.. :eek:)

I had this guy once tell me that my car could not be a real T-Type. His reason being that my car is a hard top. "T-Type means t tops".

The sad thing is the fact that this guy was driving an 87 turbo T. By the way he thought that his aluminum wheels were a special factory favor for the original owner, "The T-Types came with steel wheels stock, the grand nationals came with the aluminum wheels". He had to repeat the phrase"my T has the grand national aluminum wheels", about 50 times.

I was half tempted to smack him in the mouth.

The other stupid thing that i hear all the time is, "How much do you want for it".

i stayed at my friends house last nite and his friend came in and was like "is that a GN or a pimped out Regal?" im like "its mine, its a GN". then he gets in a arguement with my friend who has a mustang who says GNs are slow and the guy tells him that for $11K you can send your GN off and they will make it a GNX and that GNXs had twin turbos and ran 9s.

HAHAHAHAHA...i just sat there and listened, laughing to myself.

When I still had my T-Type I had a guy tell me at a gas station that he has a 1983 Buick GNX stock with Three (3!) Turbo's. My head hurt for a long time after that one.

I love it when i'm tinkering around under the hood and people tell me that it's NOT stock...

My other favorite is,

"How fast does it go?"

"Only 85... see the speedo?":D :D :D

I was at a carshow, this bitter old man walks up to my car, looks at the engine and says, I don't know nothing about these cars, he continues to tell me Buick motors were crap, and if it was his car he would pull that little V-6 out, and drop in a small block, and then the car would really run. I said to him your right! You don't know anything about these cars.

Overheard at Woodward DreamCruise 2001
Man telling son 'thats one of those Turbo v6 Trans AM's they only made them for a few years'
:rolleyes:

honorable mention goes to the guy with a riced out LT1 TA who at a stoplight asked me is that a turbo... I said Yes... he says a 6.6 Turbo? I say no a 3.8 Turbo, he laughs a bit and says wanna Race? I say sure, I proceed to build a few pounds of boost light turns green I win by 6 or 7 car lengths.. he rolls back up to me and says 'not bad for a six' I'm like why do you think you should have lost by more :D

Originally posted by ChrisCairns
"Hot car." Then looking me right in the eye she said, "Hot guy." She continued with, "Can we have sex in your car?"

:)D :D :D )

It was 90* out and she asked if you has a SIX...as in 6 pack of beer to cool off...

Observer at Car Hangout: (Pointing): "Heeeyy, isn't that one of those high-tech blow-off valves I've been reading about?? Cool!!"

Me: "No, not exactly. That's the vacuum modulator for the CRUISE CONTROL...."

this is a funny thread.. i used to always get on my friends case calling his gn a "jiffy lube edition" regal:D but then i was always harassed in my omni glh with people saying: "hey nice gti !":mad: or "isnt that one of those fast GLE'S?":rolleyes: the best.. my friend had a 68 barracuda and we would always cruise around in it(we were around 17) nobody our age knew what it was(its sad..) so we finally got tired of the its a 68 barracuda routine and told a kid it was a 66 camaro hemi.. the kid replied" oh my dad had one":confused:

Originally posted by Metal
he rolls back up to me and says 'not bad for a six' I'm like why do you think you should have lost by more :D
This is a great line, I'll have to remember this one next time this happens...and it happens quite often :D

And the old redneck stories of, "I used to have one of those that was left in a barn, I still have the motor...."
And always get the, it that a V-8 turbo in the TTA, when I say no its a 6 they walk off and are uninterested...

I'll always remember this one:

My dad had bought my current T brand new and the tires lasted all of 10,000 miles (but mom never used the gas pedal :D).

Anyway he pulled into the local goodyear shop and asked for a good sticky tire that he could drive daily. The guy laughed actually laughed at a customer. Then stating "we'll get you these (can't remember which tires) you'll never have to worry about spinning these tires in a V6". My dad had a pretty healthy temper but manged it well :D, upon leaving goodyear that day, he left two VERY health black streaks out of the shop and on to the high way. Meanwhile little 'ol me sat and stared at the genius sales man that manged to sell my 'ol man these "V6 Spin proof" tires. The look on his face was very pleasing to the 'ol man, in fact I never ever seen him switch moods that fast :D :D :D.

lol love that story although it was much funnier as a 10 year old.

Genius @ UTI:

"Why the hell does GM put things that look like turbos on thier cars?!!"

Was said behind my back right next to my friend. Didn't know what to think when he told me.

:rolleyes:

one of my favorites was, Does that have a 440 in it or somethning like that?

or

rice1:whats a grand national?

ricer2: thats a grand national pointing at my car.

ricer1:i know that but what is it?

ricer2 just a old beat up monte with a bunch of emblems stuck on it.

me:wanna race!

this was at a car show with not that many ricers till the last hour of the show.

As I was reading this thread a genius walked in and asked "You got a 454 in the Monte?"

My personal favorite:
"Dude, that's an LS-1 car. You wanna race him with your V-6? And with a passenger?"
"You think I should have another passenger?"
"Hahahahaha! I think you should have a couple more cylinders."
Upon returning from the race:
"I wanna be your passenger on the next run."