You can type here any text you want

What is this noise? Help..crazy ticking noise

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Here is some history, went to make a pass on drag strip, heard a tick and then some knocking in the burn out took car back to trailer and hauled it home. Got home pulled valve covers found a broke rocker shaft, cracked rocker arm and one bent rod.

replaced rocker arm shaft assembly and all push rods on both sides. Also removed intake prior to replacing rods and rocker arm assembly and found one piston laying out of its slot. Put it back down in its slot and then replaced rods and rocker arm assembly. Sorry got the story out of order a bit. We also replaced the valley pan and gasket set under intake. Once all was replaced and put back together and noticed and intermittent ticking noise on the driver side, now to note the rocker arm and shaft cracked on the passenger side, now the noise in on the drivers side.

Today I drained a quart of oil and added one MMO and its still ticking intermittently.

Listen to this video...
http://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&feature=vm&video_id=_thb_pezh7w

your youtube link doesn't work....

Years ago I drove 3 hours home and over night my rocker shaft broke and curled up. The engine spent about two weeks with no shafts installed while I waited on a new set. After installing them it ticked like hell no matter what I did.

One day while listening to the reflection off McDonalds brick drive thru I had enough. Got my (2)double cheese burgers and small fry, pulled out into the road and floored it. After going full throttle for about a minute it never ticked again.

I can't recommend you beat on your car like that... but when I didn't care if my engine flew apart, it worked for me. It never had valvetrain rattle again.

in your case it might not be a bad idea to put a dial indicator on all your pushrods and make sure the lobes are the same height (if you're running a flat tappet cam, that is)

your youtube link doesn't work....

Years ago I drove 3 hours home and over night my rocker shaft broke and curled up. The engine spent about two weeks with no shafts installed while I waited on a new set. After installing them it ticked like hell no matter what I did.

One day while listening to the reflection off McDonalds brick drive thru I had enough. Got my (2)double cheese burgers and small fry, pulled out into the road and floored it. After going full throttle for about a minute it never ticked again.

I can't recommend you beat on your car like that... but when I didn't care if my engine flew apart, it worked for me. It never had valvetrain rattle again.

in your case it might not be a bad idea to put a dial indicator on all your pushrods and make sure the lobes are the same height (if you're running a flat tappet cam, that is)

I am to the point now that all I wanna do is floor it! When the valve covers were off we did hit the key a few times to make sure all were lifting up and down properly and all looked fine.

we purchased a set of 12 rods from Summit....we wanted the hardened kind but they didn't carry them. When they(the rods) were all seated they appeared to all be the same length straight across. They didn't have any lash either. I am going to take a deep breath and go through all of it again. The husband just ran to the parts house to get a compression tester so we can check compression as well.

Thank you so much for your input, these cars are truly amazing with their little hiccups and such but I love the dang car! :)

Try this link and see if it pulls the video up. I also went back and hit "save" as I don't think I did that when I made the video public where it could be viewed. so if the link below doesn't do it..try the top one again and let me know. There are more ways than one to skin a cat just not a Turbo Buick! blech!

There are a couple of other threads with cars with similar noise. I owned my car for 13 years and never figured it out. Doesn't appear that others are figuring it out, either.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/index.php?threads/386657/

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
Yes I def. have been through many upon many threads trying to figure this out for the lasr
any idea of.oil.preasure on.car?

hot it was around 20, cold start up its around 50.

Here is the latest and greatest, took it down the road haulin ass - sorry I just couldn't stand it anymore, turbo building boost, it moved on out never heard the knock while dead in it, as soon as we let off the gas omg it was a knock like no other. Had a buddy we race with in the car - he stated it either sounded like main bearing or rod bearing. So after hearing that we parked it and plan on Sunday after we get back from race to possibly start tearing it down and rebuilding it.

This sucks! :(

Here is the latest and greatest, took it down the road haulin ass - sorry I just couldn't stand it anymore, turbo building boost, it moved on out never heard the knock while dead in it, as soon as we let off the gas omg it was a knock like no other. Had a buddy we race with in the car - he stated it either sounded like main bearing or rod bearing. So after hearing that we parked it and plan on Sunday after we get back from race to possibly start tearing it down and rebuilding it.

This sucks! :(

oh and all compression checks came back 150 or better.

is your knock sensor going crazy?
If not i would replace the valve springs.
My old motor use to do the same thing after i replaced the valve springs it went away.
Good luck.

We cut the original filter open when we broke the shaft assembly.

On the scan master the knock sensor was zero, then we got on it and it went to 3-5, then when we got out of it it went up to like 15, 13 etc.

But when we cut the filter I totally disected it looking for shavings from the cam..there was nothing.

Do you have a magnetic drain plug?

hardened pushrods really aren't that big of a deal since we don't use steel guide plates.

On the video (that works now) how accurate is the sound from youtube to what you actually hear when the car's running?

The car does have a hairline crack in the drivers side header as well as the fan kicked on abt half way through the video hence the reason why I gassed it to give a louder knock.

Im not sure im educated abt a magnetic drain plug. You screw the drain plug in and out..looks pretty traditional to me. I shall ask the husbeast.

Odds are you don't have one then (all cars need one, but none came with one). Either way It sounds like it's time to pop the drain plug and check for sparkelies. :(

My laptop speakers are crap so it's hard to say it's rod sounding but the frequency seems to be more rod like than pushrod like.

The noise is quite apparent from inside the car at the firewall floor board area. Im still pouting. :( I thank you so much for taking the time to look at this for me.

All of the lifters, rocker arms and shaft were lifting properly. Its about to get a full run through..I cant deal with this. Its like one of ya kids getting aick hahaha. #nevagrowup

Back