You can type here any text you want

What is your longest trip in the GN?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Pulled a UHaul with everything I owned from Riverside, CA to the Mississippi Gulf Coast (go 5 miles north to I 10, turn right, go 2000 miles, turn right, go 10 miles to the house :-)) and then up to Maryland, about 3200 miles total including a few side trips along the way, running 60-65 mph and making just under 1 psi boost the whole way. Averaged about 12-13 mpg, bone stock. Made the MD to MS round trip at least a dozen times, 1000 miles each way. Put about 180,000 miles on the car in 14 years, before I took it apart and got too lazy to get it back on the road.

I think the longest trip Ive had my GN on would be when I went out to Mt. Pleasant, PA to pick up some Trans Am seats I was gonna put in the GN. Shipping would've been over $200 so I decided to drive the GN out there.

This was in the dead of December and I left my house here in DE at 6am on a Saturday morning. The car was on a full tune wearing almost bald MT DRs! Had my alum. racing jack in the truck, full size spare GTA wheel, and some parts in the trunk. Set out on my way. Got to the Allegheny Tunnel and came out the other side to salt and snow on the ground!! :eek: Oh sh!t i said to myself!!

Made it to Mt. Pleasant and found where I needed to be. Almost ran out of fuel but made it out of the mountains and into town. Stopped for gas and had a few guys crowd the car. They also said I was ballsy for driving such an old car soo far from home... Got where I needed to go, what I needed, (yes the seats fit in the trunk along with everything else), and made my way home. I stopped for fuel somewhere along I-70 (i think) near the PA/MD line. Big Pool I think it was? Cant really remember. Got some food and fuel and a few more guys wanted to check the car out. Asked all kinds of questions. Apparently these cars aren't too common in those parts. All the good looking WVU girls coming in and out were nice too. ;)

Made it home just before dark when the weather started turning bad.

Ive made the E-Town run a few times now, and countless trips to Cecil. No problems yet! Had the car to 75 & 80 Dragway once, about 115 miles each way. Many trips to Ocean City, Maryland too.

Its been pretty reliable for me.

WOW, Now thats a road trip... Both my brother and my boss have C5 Vettes and believe it or not I drive my bosses car more than he does. They are both 6 speed cars and its crazy how you can go 1,4,6 then cruise at about idle doing 70+ mph. The only downside to a long trip like that would be the road noise.

On the road noise issue.....three things help kill the noise:

Put deadner material under all the carpet, ditch the run flat tires, and lastly they sell dividers like made from 2 inch thick carpeted foam that fit snug behind seat and trunk area. I currently have a 2000 fixed roof hardtop and all those tricks have been done and I left the exhaust stock.

The Vette has never really been promoted as a "gas saver" but in reality it can achieve good numbers with a 6 speed.

It was an awesome trip and breath taking.....seeing the country.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

lowes motor speedway from florence ... in the GN acouple times and in the TTA as it sits

T - 1250 miles each way Dallas - FL was near stock.
GN - 1000 miles total to Reynolds 2010- drove it on the same DR's I raced with and got 20+ mpg:D

Longest Drive In Car

drove it for 14 straight hours once, covered 5 states, my azz was a little sore.

My longest in the GN was Wichita, Kansas to Pensacola, Florida (16 hrs 40 minutes and 995 miles) stayed for a few weeks, then back to Wichita (16 hrs 40 minutes and 995 miles), stayed the night then off to San Diego, CA (22 hrs and 1450 miles). Long side of that trip was 38 hours and 2,445 miles. All this time with a seat spring sticking into my leg and worn out seat foams which made the seats uncomfortable. No issues on either trip!

Detroit to Los Angeles and back, 2500 miles each way. GN stayed over in Chicago, went to the St. Louis Arch, crossed the Royal Gorge Bridge, Continental Divide, Aspen, the Vegas Strip, Hollywood Blvd..... slept with a .357 on the nightstand :D

trip

new york to north carolina and back.what a fun trip.those were the days.

=]

I did the Power Tour last year.. from Du Quoin, Ill to Mobile, Al.

But the longest trip without stopping to sleep... that was coming home from Mobile, AL last year. I left late in the afternoon on Saturday... drove through the night and made it back to St louis just as the sun was coming up Sunday morning. Now THATS a LONG HAUL !

I'm anxious for this years Power Tour, Im hope'n to be a Long Hauler for the FIRST TIME ! ! Whooo Hoooo ! ! :D

Va beach to bowling green three times, Va beach to Silver Dollar Raceway in Reynolds, GA, ONCE...I hated that trip, get to Atlanta,then figured it won't be long now..Saw nothing but trees and farms for what seemed like foreva..
I stopped at a convenience store when I was a half hour away to make sure I was on the right track." how much farther to the Racetrack?" Cashier said "racetrack?" .. "Bubba do you know of a racetrack around here?".. "Nah"...

From IN to CA........

When I was in the Marines, I was stationed at MCLB Albany, GA. When I got orders out to Camp Pendleton, CA I drove from Albany up to Fort Wayne, IN for leave. Then I drove from Fort Wayne out to Camp Pendleton.
Thought I was gonna get at least 2 speeding tickets;), but only ended up with a warning ticket about the tint on my windows in Utah.:biggrin:

Powertour last year was my longest trip in the car. I drove to Indiana first then to Iowa then back to FL. Overall I put 3k miles on the car and decided I won't do another long haul in those seats.

dont have a GN but i've taken my Hurst Olds on several extended trips, some not without incidents..

2003 Pittsburgh to Cincy for the OCA nats- broke a winshield wiper in a rain storm and also my harmonic balencer split and contined to bounce back and forth btween the block and pulley until one point while in cincy it hit the pulley and blew the balencer apart and pieces shoot out the bottom, luckily they 3 big projectiles didnt cause any damage and the motor never ran so smooth..

pittsburgh to indy in 04 for H/OCA nats- no probs

pittsburgh to champion PA for the 09 OCA nats - got a ticket on the way to the judging and made it to the showfield 10 mins before it was closed. got out of ticket btw

pittsburgh to joliet IL 06 for the H/OCA nats. - it was about 95 degrees and my A/C compressor was blowing colder than ever until it locked up and started smoking somewhere in indiana.. burned my hood pad... and i roasted the rest of the way.. on the way home i went from Joliet IL to south bend IN to Lansing MI to Ann harbor and then finally home to pittsburgh..

pittsburgh to norwalk 2001 - after my cutlass was stolen that year i decide to head to buick race day to find me a new g-body and the 87 blazer i was driving only made it to akron Ohio before the rotor in the distributor broke, i also cooked the trans. the was a long ride back to pittsburgh in the tow truck..

I dont even wanna talk about my ride to BG a few years back in an Eclipse.

Central NC to Myrtle Beach SC (200 miles give or take). Every intention of taking it to Norwalk and/or BPG this year finally-and this time I mean it!

From Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to Stetler Alberta for me, I dont know how many miles it is, but i made it there in 4 hours..but many laws were broken that day.

The first one I had I drove from eastern Indiana to southwestern Oklahoma (and back). About 990 miles one way. These cars are still the most fun and most comfortable cars I have ever owned.

Back when my brother owned the T; he drove it from Indiana, to Austin, Tx; back to Indiana, and then down to Sarasota, FL, and back to Indiana. I think of the ~14k miles he put on the car, 12k were from that year alone.

All with no cruise control.

Back