What moog springs lower the car 1" tried and true?

jdpolzin

Ok guys, I need 1 1/2" drop in the front and have decided to go with 1' drop springs and taller ball joints to accomplish that amount. What Moog springs lower the car 1". I would like to know from someone that has installed them and knows that it actually does lower the front that much! Thanks! ----Jeremy

I'd like to know too. I cut my stock coils and the drivers side is perfect but for some reason the passenger side is way too low, so I want to find the proper replacements and start over again, cutting slight amounts at a time until I get it where I want. See my coil cutting post for pics, lol...

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't realize that you were the guy that replied to it, lol. Driver's side looks sweet, eh? The passenger side's just a little too over the top. My only option with the coils I have is to try to cut a little more out of the driver's side to get it to match the right side, but I'm afraid it might be a little too nuts. Guess the worst that can happen is that I need to find new coils. It's not a big deal, really...

Yeah I saw your post! I just want a tried and true 1" coil spring. Then I'll take a bit farther with the BJ's. (HAHA I said BJ's!!!:biggrin: ) Anybody know which coils actually give you a 1" drop?

Snooping around a bit, it seems like Moog 5660 S-10 springs might give you about a 1" drop. They're a good bit stiffer, which is probably a good thing since you won't want to be bottoming out. It's almost impossible to tell if they'll actually lower it though. If your stockers are really saggy, it might not help at all.

Moog Springs for High Performance Monte Carlo and G bodies
The Monte Carlo Mailing List: Tech Articles

This place has them for about $52 a pair...
MOOG Auto Parts

If the weather's decent this coming weekend, I might head to the local U-Pull-It and see if I can grab some off of an S-10. There's always tons of them there, but getting something like that off of a truck with a little box of hand tools would probably be impossible, seeing that you're not allowed to use jacks. I just got lucky on the rear coils I bought, there was a mid 80's Firebird sitting there propped up on tires with the rear end just hanging in the air, lol...
I might just suck it up and buy new 5660's, put them on, and see where it sits. If I'm not happy with it, I'll start cutting them little by little until I get it where I want :D

Snooping around a bit, it seems like Moog 5660 S-10 springs might give you about a 1" drop. They're a good bit stiffer, which is probably a good thing since you won't want to be bottoming out. It's almost impossible to tell if they'll actually lower it though. If your stockers are really saggy, it might not help at all.

Moog Springs for High Performance Monte Carlo and G bodies
The Monte Carlo Mailing List: Tech Articles

This place has them for about $52 a pair...
MOOG Auto Parts

If the weather's decent this coming weekend, I might head to the local U-Pull-It and see if I can grab some off of an S-10. There's always tons of them there, but getting something like that off of a truck with a little box of hand tools would probably be impossible, seeing that you're not allowed to use jacks. I just got lucky on the rear coils I bought, there was a mid 80's Firebird sitting there propped up on tires with the rear end just hanging in the air, lol...
I might just suck it up and buy new 5660's, put them on, and see where it sits. If I'm not happy with it, I'll start cutting them little by little until I get it where I want :D

I have 5660s and my car is 26.5"s from fender to concrete through the center cap. The 5658 will give him the 1" drop I believe. Others have run this spring paired with the Howe lower ball joints with success. I posted pics of a T-type with this set-up not too long ago in this section.

Welby, how much drop did you get by using the rear springs from a Firebird?? I have 1 1/2" BellTechs on the back now so I'm trying to get the front end to sit lower than those. At least thats my goal!! If I have to, I'll change the rear springs!

84TXGN, do you happen to know which rear springs that ar had on it?? I like the way that one sits! Your talking about the light blue T right? Did your 5660's give you a 1" drop or how much? Whichever is lower, the 5658's or the 5660's are what i will be going with!

84TXGN, do you happen to know which rear springs that ar had on it?? I like the way that one sits! Your talking about the light blue T right? Did your 5660's give you a 1" drop or how much? Whichever is lower, the 5658's or the 5660's are what i will be going with!

The 5658s will give you the most drop. My car was actually higher in the front because I had really old stock springs.

The car I posted a pic of was a grey T-type. I'm not sure about the rear springs but I may be able to find out.

Welby, how much drop did you get by using the rear springs from a Firebird?? I have 1 1/2" BellTechs on the back now so I'm trying to get the front end to sit lower than those. At least thats my goal!! If I have to, I'll change the rear springs!

I don't know the exact amount, I never measured. I don't care about numbers, I go for the final eyeball approval, lol..

If you look in this thread, I posted before and after pics that show the rear. It's quite dramatic. The car looked like I had maxxed out air shocks in it before for some reason...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br.../210260-removing-front-coils-recipe-pain.html

My ex brother in law was real big into Chevy trucks and he had several lowered S-10's. I asked him if he had any spare stock front coils, but he didn't. He did say he had some 2" lowering coils that I'm gonna try out. They might be too drastic though. We'll see :D

The 5658s will give you the most drop. My car was actually higher in the front because I had really old stock springs.

The car I posted a pic of was a grey T-type. I'm not sure about the rear springs but I may be able to find out.

Yeah I would appreciate it! I do like the stance of that car!

I don't know the exact amount, I never measured. I don't care about numbers, I go for the final eyeball approval, lol..

If you look in this thread, I posted before and after pics that show the rear. It's quite dramatic. The car looked like I had maxxed out air shocks in it before for some reason...

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/br.../210260-removing-front-coils-recipe-pain.html

My ex brother in law was real big into Chevy trucks and he had several lowered S-10's. I asked him if he had any spare stock front coils, but he didn't. He did say he had some 2" lowering coils that I'm gonna try out. They might be too drastic though. We'll see :D

To be honest with you, I am thinking it would be too much using 2" lowering springs from an S-10 do the the weight difference in our cars. I just lowered my 2005 silverado and used 3" drop springs in the front. It's not too bad but I think I would have been happier using a different method. It's a little too springy of a ride. thats why I am trying to use a little of every mothod to lower the car.

The problem with cutting the stock springs is they are not stiff enough. When you cut off one whole coil you drop the car but the increase in stiffness is not appropriately enough to compensate for the loss in suspension travel.

020218b.JPG

That is a stock spring on the left at a Moog 5660 on the right. I ran the 5660 for a couple of years in the front. It ran at almost the exact same height as my stock springs which was a little taller than I wanted. I also found it a little too stiff over all. I eventually backed off to a Moog 5658 and the car rested a touch lower as shown below. I liked the ride height I wound up with.

Keep in mind the 5658 is 25% stiffer than stock and the 5660 is 50% stiffer than stock. My car handled really well since I also rebuilt the whole front end at the same time I swapped in the new springs.

040905b%20shrink.JPG

040905g%20shrink.JPG

I found the 5658 to be the best compromise, good stiffness and ride height. Keep in mind no car today would ever be sold with springs like our Buicks came with any more, but unlike new cars, the chassis on a G-body is pretty flexible so cranking the spring rate to high just makes the body shudder.

Wow, now thats some good info!! Well, guys, I think I have finally found my solution. So, one last question for you guys, Do you need to run two ball joints or just one??

The problem with cutting the stock springs is they are not stiff enough. When you cut off one whole coil you drop the car but the increase in stiffness is not appropriately enough to compensate for the loss in suspension travel.

040905g%20shrink.JPG

I noticed this with my cut coils. I cut off a whole coil and it dropped it more than I thought it would, and for some reason the front is uneven now. Plus I noticed it bottomed out once on a sharp dip. If the 2" drop S-10 springs slam it, I'm hoping that the increased spring rate will keep it from bottoming out. All it's gonna cost me is time and sweat :D

BTW, your car looks great, that exactly where I want mine to sit.

I wonder if it would be smart to invest in a set of tubular A-arms while I am at it? Would it help the handling or just be a waste of money?

one upper and one lower ball joint per side.

You wouldnt happen to have a part number on those do you? They dont state that they lower the car in their ad. It just sais that they are modular and $85 each.

020218b.JPG

That is a stock spring on the left at a Moog 5660 on the right. I ran the 5660 for a couple of years in the front. It ran at almost the exact same height as my stock springs which was a little taller than I wanted. I also found it a little too stiff over all. I eventually backed off to a Moog 5658 and the car rested a touch lower as shown below. I liked the ride height I wound up with.

Keep in mind the 5658 is 25% stiffer than stock and the 5660 is 50% stiffer than stock. My car handled really well since I also rebuilt the whole front end at the same time I swapped in the new springs.

040905b%20shrink.JPG

040905g%20shrink.JPG

I found the 5658 to be the best compromise, good stiffness and ride height. Keep in mind no car today would ever be sold with springs like our Buicks came with any more, but unlike new cars, the chassis on a G-body is pretty flexible so cranking the spring rate to high just makes the body shudder.

BJM

What rear spring did you run in your car?

Thanks,