You can type here any text you want

What size turbo for a 455?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Flyin Airman

I think it will be funner to just build and piece together my own turbo kit for my 455 regal...so starting from scratch and doing homework what is an good size to go with and keep low boost...but still have room to build up in the future? Think I will just go single.

Where do I need to tap my oilpan? do I need any sort of pump to feed oil to the turbo?

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject...its unexplored territory for me. I cannot wait to get started.

Thank you.
Justin Amelung

Well the 455 3.25 mains aren't known for handling a lot of power or is the thinner walled blocks so high boost with anything above a 72mm will most likely put the crank into the pavement.

You can get the Borg Warner Extended Tip 75mm turbo's in a T6 1.10 or 1.32 for around $800, that will put out more than the block can handle at full tilt for sure. ;)

Thank you. I am going to start up a new build...unsure of cubic inches but I think I will invest in a girdle for the bottom end would that help my cause? I want to go with fuel injection as I was looking at TA intake kits and it seems like a fun concept...doing this build is going to be a big learning experience and a lot of fun.

On a good forged piston/tune/rods would it be doable to run 6ish psi on the cruising and bump it to around 15ish on the track??

Sorry if this is the wrong spot on the message board as I just noticed there was turbo V8 section...

Like I said I am completely dumb with this so dont laugh :)

Thank you. I am going to start up a new build...unsure of cubic inches but I think I will invest in a girdle for the bottom end would that help my cause? I want to go with fuel injection as I was looking at TA intake kits and it seems like a fun concept...doing this build is going to be a big learning experience and a lot of fun.

On a good forged piston/tune/rods would it be doable to run 6ish psi on the cruising and bump it to around 15ish on the track??

Sorry if this is the wrong spot on the message board as I just noticed there was turbo V8 section...

Like I said I am completely dumb with this so dont laugh :)

Get in contact with Jeff and Bob of Finishline Motorsports in Michigan. They have been boosting BBB's the past few years and may be able to help you out. The Chicago Buick guys that use nitrous have pushed the stock blocks and cranks pretty far without girdles. All these guys know each other so you will be able to gain a ton of info.

Attachments

• IMAG0218.jpg
    IMAG0218.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMAG0217.jpg
    IMAG0217.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 319
The Borg warner 75mm is a good suggestion that will support 15psi. The motor should make 450hp on motor and near 900hp at 15psi so anything that will support around 1000hp will work for you. You may find some on the site for sale. Something like a Precision 76mm will also work.

I will give them a call tomorrow when I have off.

I instantly grinned ear to ear reading the 450 motor....900 at 15psi...haha

I think I have been missing out on a lot of fun in the turbo catagory.

What do you guys think of this?

FAST: EZ-EFI® Self Tuning Fuel Injection System (Master Kit)

I wanted to look at FI because it will be street driven to the track...mcdonalds...I think it is a pretty awesome kit imo.

The girdle and filling it halfway does help, but how are you going to stop it from cracking up into the valley and cam? That's where the 3.25 block is more prone vs the 3" main, and the 3" block is also not so hot for FI (Forced Induction).

If you're thinking anything over 800hp, I'd highly consider the aftermarket blocks. Sure $6000 on a TA block isn't ideal, but if you start pushing 20+psi and lose the first one, everything (turbo included) will be like $3000 lost from the initial build.

I've been down this path, the end result was about 10psi and around 700hp so it will live day to day (oh so little HP :) ). Wait till you see how easy it is to lift a head, Cometics are only good for so much on these blocks too, the aftermarket 18 bolt heads are ideal.

BTW, the Pontiac aftermarket block (All Pontiac) starts at $3200.
Engine & Components - IA II Standard Deck Block - THE STRONGEST PONTIAC AFTERMARKET ENGINE BLOCK!!

Id spend $ on a quality crank for an application like this

Who was the guy @ BG w/ the Skyhawk and the roots blown bbb? Seems he beat on it pretty hard....

Aftermarket would be nice...but what do I do with this other poor lonely 455 sitting at home :(

I hear ya though...cut corners will cost ya more in the long run and I would be in worse shape with a destroyed engine. I will explore that route.

Its weird not having to play with a E-4 salary...the freedom is nice haha.

Thanks Guys!
Justin

It's not a huge deal, the less HP from 800hp you go down you'll increase the % of survival by a ton. Do all the things you planned, just don't run a lot of boost, there are calculators that can give you an idea of what HP you can create with your setup and say a 75mm turbo.

Greed will kill you here, if you're a once a year track guy, don't get stupid and jack it up 5psi more to impress the folks. They're not the ones putting new headgaskets or cleaning the track from your rod throwing competition after you leave. :biggrin:

BTW, a 700HP and probably 800TQ 455 engine would 60ft so crazy you'd never need 2nd gear on the street from any schmo next to you at a light. The internet has made 1000hp the only frontier, drive in a 600hp car and you'll buy stock in Huggies. :eek:

The internet has made 1000hp the only frontier, drive in a 600hp car and you'll buy stock in Huggies.

Preach it my brother, preach it!
That's probably one of the best statements I've ever read on an internet message forum. We go through this every day here in the office, spec'ing turbos for everything. It seems everyone wants 1000+ wheel hp and be streetable. We get everything from 1.8L Honda's to 632 CI BB people wanting to make crazy power and drive it on the street. Hell, you can drive a Pro Mod car on the street, as long as you remove the wheelie bars. :eek: Over the years, I've come to the realization that 700-750 wheel hp is about as much as you'd want to realistically try to apply to an "un-prepped" street and be able to keep it between the lines.

Even on slicks a car that's capable of making that kind of power to the wheels is a real hand full. Situational awareness is absolutely, life or death critical. That kind of rwhp can get you in trouble real quick. While I'll be the first to admit I don't know anything about BBB applications, I'm always willing to learn. But I do know when it comes time, we can spec the optimum turbo for your combo.

This definitely comes back the age old phrase we used to say alot on here.

Plan your work, work your plan.

Excellent post / advice in here guys.
Good luck with your project, and I can't wait too read about the updates.

Patrick

^^, this is what some will put up with when they know how to source blocks and build them for cheap. I'm curious what Rod is making for power, most likely 800hp + if he's eating up that many.

I'd HIGHLY consider CSU for a trusted and affordable FI Carburetor. Kevin knows how to tune a carb for boost and an 850cfm is all you'd need to blow the block in half. I have their 750cfm and it only needed a few tweaks to get dialed in on my E85 400, (just a squirter bump and barely a jet reduction) I was impressed. Injection is nice, but at WOT, it's advantage is lessened and $2200 vs $950 is a huge budget killer.

BTW, a Precision 72-76 T6 with the V Band would be ideal if you go this route, the V Band makes it much easier to custom make the DP since there aren't any kits.:frown:

Hey guys sorry for the delay...things get busy over here. I am not looking for 1000 hp...it is a recession after all haha. I have my NA 455 running low 12s about as close to stock as it gets...just want to broaden horizons.

I finally was able to get in contact with Mark Bruton who fabs kits for a 455...going with twins...I bought the new fuel pump...paying for the kit on August 7...need a new cam...and then some tuning im sure....blow thru carb. I am thinking when its all done I will have pushing 650-700 for under 5k in the whole car...with a built block on standby. Mark is very helpful and has built some fine kits for guys on V8Buick and they are very satisfied.

I get a boner just launching my NA 12 sec car...wouldnt mind 10s :)

Also where do I need to tap my oil pan? Is there an external pump??
Thanks
Justin

Similar build

A little different but at the same time the same. I just got my Olds 455 built to handle 15lbs of boost. Blown, not spooled though. Its a stock but machined block with all new internals and ARP holding it from going every other direction. Let me know how yours go's cause a boosted 455 is rare. Oh and just a heads up if you dont get it already, people are going to think 455 is a typo and ask you how your 454 is running haha

Back