What turbo should I get?

Scott89TTA

I'm starting to get parts together for an upgrade and have no idea what turbo I should get...looking for some help!

My car has ~46K on the stock unopend motor. Here is a list of what is done and what parts I have and plan to get shortly.

Currently on the car:
1. TT 93 street chip
2. 160 t-stat
3. RJC power plate
4. 3" alum. "Grumpy" MAF pipe
5. 9" K&N
6. 3" Action Fab S/S DP w/ported stock elbow
7. 3" cutout w/QTP electric dump
8. MT DR's (ET Streets) 255/50-16
9. Scanmaster
10. Stock Trans w/PTS shift kit and .570 pressure valve (replacing with trans listed below)
11. 100# valve springs
12. rerouted PCV and breathers on both valve covers (driver side vc on pass side as well)
13. MSD 8.5mm Super Conductor wires

Have but not installed yet:
1. RAZOR Alky Control Kit
2. Bill Anderson fully built bfr 200r4 w/Stagerite Trans Brake, good for mid-low 10's.
3. PTS billet 9/11 3400-3600 stall convertor
4. Racetronics Hotwire kit
5. RJC manual boost controlloer

Still need to get:
1. Trans cooler
2. Walbro fuel pump
3. Adjustable FPR
4. Injectors 60#'s
5. New TT chip for Alky and 60# injectors
6. Turbo ????????????????????????????????????

I do not plan on doing any head work or change the came until it is time to pull the engine and do so...hopefuly not to soon. So I need a turbo to work with what I have listed above.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Scott

How fast you lookin to go ?

I would like the to go mid-low 11's probably quicker once I get a taste of it ;) The car can be pretty radical within reason since I only take it out a few times a month to the local cruise nites and some car shows and it sit's all winter. If I can sneak a couple passes in at the track without a roll bar that would be cool...not sure if I want to put one in or not. It is simply just a toy...would like it to look close to stock but not run that way. I have read about a lot real low ET's these cars have done on stock cam and heads and am amazed. I just don't know enough about turbos to pick the right one. I could get one that is best for my car now with stock heads and cam or go a little bigger and maybe live with a little lag until the heads and cam are done ? I have been told that with the 3400-3600 converter it may not be such a big deal with spooling the turbo but if I go too big then I get out of the heads and cam power/flow range. I suppose with the DR's traction problems shouldn't be too bad :rolleyes:

Basicaly I got some great deals on some of the parts (ALKY, Trans, Converter, etc.) and now I want to build the car around those parts...so pretty much my goals right now are driven around a PTS 9/11 3400-3600 stall converter and ALKY...got to start somewhere :biggrin:

Thanks,
Scott

Reaally like the PTE 67 /.63 exh.

just my 2 cents JD

"89 TTA 1092, 67 turbo,ALKYCONTROL,M/T D/R, 65's, RJC P/P,9/11 3500 con.,T/T chip,NEW BEST!! 10.85@124mph WOW!!!!"

Holly crap!!! that can't be with stock heads and cam :eek: How much boost are you running?

I'm not familiar with the 54, ?? with the convertor you listed. I think that a BB 67 would be killer.

How would a PT-54 turbo work with my plans ?

54 = 61

I have virtually your set up minus 3" DP, addition of 17 row IC, 3200 9x11stall - running a no thrills TA61

Works great on mostly street unopened motor, but cam/heads and you'll need / want to go big.:biggrin:

Well I talked to Mike Licht at Full Throttle Speed and with my current mods and future mods he said the GT6776e would be best for my setup in his opinion. My billet 9/11 3400-3600 stall converter would be a little too loose for the BB version. He said the BB GT6776 likes 3000-3200 stall. Saves me another $300-$400 too!

Can't wait, I'll keep you posted as the mods progress!

Thanks to all for your help...and thanks again Mike Licht the informative phone call :cool:

-Scott