You can type here any text you want

What type of valve spring tool do you use?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdpolzin

I've got a set of loose heads I want to change the valve springs on. Which type of tool do you guys suggest I use? Do they rent them at the parts store?

take it to a machine shop and have it done right. Ricks tool does work great though

This one works great you can get them at the parts store or sears:cool:

Attachments

• Valve spring tool.jpg
    Valve spring tool.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 514
Two of the most valuble "Buick specific" tools I've made are the valve spring compressor and the oil pump primer. :D

DSC078292.jpg

DSC072622.jpg

I do have a nice oil pump primer! aybe I should invest in a spring compressor? I just got the heads back from the machine shop and didnt have the springs in time to bring them with the heads. Rick, I'm going to see if I can get one at the parts store and if I cant just rent one, I'll take you up on that offer! You da man! Thank you guys for your help! Surej, I still need to hook up with you to pick up my AC lines. You gonna be around Saturday? Austin and I will be heading that way I think!

Two of the most valuble "Buick specific" tools I've made are the valve spring compressor and the oil pump primer. :D

DSC078292.jpg

Where on earth did you find this little gem. I'd love to have one of those for my tool box.:smile:

Where on earth did you find this little gem. I'd love to have one of those for my tool box.:smile:

Well... long story short, I was doing a valvespring job on my buddy's Buick. I had no less than 3 different valvespring tools... and none of them would reach or work on the last two cylinders by the AC box.

It was getting late and I had his car tore apart. He needed to drive it 45 minutes home... so I fabbed one up with some junk I had laying around.

I used a seal puller and a wizzer wrench. A piece of heavy wall tubing and a 5/16-18 grade 8 bolt is the rest of it.
I welded a strap under the wizzer wrench and welded the seal puller handle to the top. A little grinding to clearence the pedestal and it worked like a charm.
I've used it countless times and even loaned it to a fellow Buick guy a couple years ago.

Here is what the seal puller looked like before I hacked it up...
5741pic.jpg

and the wizzer wrench looked (almost) like this.
wrench_flat_wrench-cat.jpg

DSC078292.jpg

Thats a great tool you made. I would just be a little concerned about over stressing that pedestal. My tool looks real similar but it uses a complete rocker shaft. ;)

Thats a great tool you made. I would just be a little concerned about over stressing that pedestal. My tool looks real similar but it uses a complete rocker shaft. ;)

I'd never use it on a solid roller... but with a hyd flat tappet or hyd roller, the seat pressures and load on the pedestal is hardly anything.
You can open the valves just pushing on them with the palm of your hand.

I'd make a longer piece of tubing to span 2 pedestals if I were to use it on a solid roller spring.

I'd never use it on a solid roller... but with a hyd flat tappet or hyd roller, the seat pressures and load on the pedestal is hardly anything.
You can open the valves just pushing on them with the palm of your hand.

I'd make a longer piece of tubing to span 2 pedestals if I were to use it on a solid roller spring.

Roger that.

Never thought of just using 2 pedestals. :cool: Have to trim mine up:)!

This home made gem made very speedy work of the stockers....even for a rookie like me.

Don @ DRW made this one out of an old rocker shaft and rocker....

Attachments

• spring-001.jpg
    spring-001.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 268
  • spring-003.jpg
    spring-003.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 276
Hey Rick, what does yours look like?

I have one of those c clamp like removal tools and it deflects with heavy duty springs for roller cams. Can't use it!

Do you have a side view of that valve spring tool? I'm trying to envision how the construction allows it to rotate around the piece of pipe that is bolted to the rocker pillar while holding it firmly to that same piece of pipe.

Two of the most valuble "Buick specific" tools I've made are the valve spring compressor and the oil pump primer.
DSC078292.jpg

summit racing sells the heavy duty removal tool at around $95.

I just ordered one. I have a couple other ones and none of them seems "safe" for use with the head off. Roller cam springs are very stiff and all my base/ lower cost tools deflected too much.

You can borrow mine when Im done if you are ever up in the area again!

Do you have a side view of that valve spring tool? I'm trying to envision how the construction allows it to rotate around the piece of pipe that is bolted to the rocker pillar while holding it firmly to that same piece of pipe.

It's just a U-shaped strap/loop I welded to the bottom to wrap around the piece of pipe.
There is no need to "hold firm"... all you need is a fulcrum point (pipe)and a lever to pull against it. (handle assy)

I'll snap a better pic of it later for ya. ;)

Hey Rick, what does yours look like?

I have one of those c clamp like removal tools and it deflects with heavy duty springs for roller cams. Can't use it!

Mine looks similar to the one sd-slider made. I'll post up a pick later. ;)

Back