You can type here any text you want

what wakes the car up?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1980turbomc

i have a 231 turbo with head work small cam exhaust and few small mods.. i have a th 350 with a stall and shift kit but still feel like its to slugish! what else can i do to wake it up? im also having leaking probs.. what kind of gaskets is everyone using and having the best of luck with? its leaking from the valve covers and oil pan.. and possibly the rear main?

Rear main leaks are very common as well as the rest leaking also. If you still have the stamped steel valve covers good luck at making them seal right. Most of them have been tweeked and don't apply even pressure to the gasket. See if you can find some off an 84-85 turbo car and then use some Felpro permadry gaskets.

The biggest problem with the slugish feel is the rear gearing. See if you can find a rear out of an 83 T Type (3.42 and posi) and a 2004r tranny instead of the TH350. The lower gearing will make it feel much better. Welcome aboard and do some reading in this section as well as the sticky at the top by Rich. He has a link to his site all about the early turbo cars.

what do you mean stamped valve covers? if that is the stocks then im doomed! and will the 84 85 valve covers fit under the turbo and carb since they sit right above them?..

oh do you mean just the gears or the intire rear end swap? im trying to drive it daily so i need limited slip...

what do you mean stamped valve covers? if that is the stocks then im doomed! and will the 84 85 valve covers fit under the turbo and carb since they sit right above them?..

The orignal valve covers are stamped steel and the 84-85 are cast and machined aluminum. Much better to seal the heads.:smile:

Here's a pic to give you some ideas.:biggrin:

Attachments

• DSCN0001.jpg
    DSCN0001.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 249
k thanks and ya mine deff dont look like that and where the breather goes it has a plate underneath the hole so it makes it hard to put oil in it

oh do you mean just the gears or the intire rear end swap? im trying to drive it daily so i need limited slip...

Switching the rear end gears and the tranny will make it feel much better. The 2004r has an overdrive so you get a good starting gear and a great highway gear. The TH350 is a 4 speed and the 2004r is a 4 speed with an overdrive.:biggrin:

and thats what i was looking into i just wasnt sure if that was the match up i needed since i am goin to drive it daily

The only thing you'll need besides the tranny and gears is the crossmember for the 2004r. Check in the "for sale" section and you should find what you need. If you don't PM me and I can direct you to someone that has the trannies minus the convertor for $1300 shipped. 400 HP capable without any problem.

Check out and see what you have for a rear gear first. A 3.08 should be good if you keep the 350 trans. Have you checked all your vac lines and normal stuff? I had a stock 79 and it spooled with no problems and would even break the tire loose just punching it from a stop. What are your plugs gapped at? Post a list of EVERYTHING you have done or checked on the car and we can go from there. I guess beings the engine has a new cam and ported heads the heads have new valvsprings, new plugs and wires, etc.
WHat did you put on for exhaust? Do you have any leaks? I will recommend something but I want to make sure the obvious is out of the way.

Please set up a sig with some info and list your location.

Hey Chuck, wasn't the 80 backward actuator year?

OOO I want to see some pics.
I'm not Chuck but 80 is the normally open wastegate

I'm Sorry Charlie!!!
It's cold and it's like the holiday and I've been busy on everyone else's stuff.
I'd much rather be here messin round on the forum Charlie, then working or spending time with my family "yak".

Well, I've been pissing people off in the parts section and spreading the turbo wisdom to the young children of the world. In the time between I've been dreaming of TRs and chicks, and playing ps3:cool:

You both are gonna get an email later about an adaptor someone else posted. A very good idea for sure. Feel like going stage II really cheaply? Wait for the email guys.

im not sure on my gap and ive checked some of my vac lines.. but havnt really had time to do a complete check... as far as the heads everything is brand new on them. it has new pistons and new cam shaft.. the exhaust if magna flow.. dueled.. its only boosting 8lbs... it has a factory intake.. carb just got rebuilt.. new plugs.. just got 1000 miles on it. what should i eliminate as far has vaccum lines and deff keep?the ign.. has stock wires and plugs.. any speciel ones i should use? i have a stock distrub. and cap.. trans has a 2500 stall with shift kit

ill have to try and post the pics later.. i tried twice and its not letting me.. what are you talkin about backward actuator? and an normally open waste gate?

Back