What's a good "cheap" 9mm pistol?

V6UnderPressure

The Artist FKA Scott4DMny
I'm looking for a 9mm pistol to add to my armory for extra home protection. I'd like something with reliable mechanics (low jam rate) yet am looking for the cheapest possible. I don't have much money to spend (100-200). Gun gurus, what is your opinion?

I'm looking for a 9mm pistol to add to my armory for extra home protection. I'd like something with reliable mechanics (low jam rate) yet am looking for the cheapest possible. I don't have much money to spend (100-200). Gun gurus, what is your opinion?

DO NOT BUY A HIPOINT !!!!!!! They dont function half the time. I have read a test on them and they couldnt get the thing to cycle on its own till they did it by hand over 400 times. I got the opertunity to work in a gun shop for about a 1 1/2 years.:biggrin: IF you dont mind a millitary hand gun. Go get a CZ-52 they are $150.oo at most gun stores. They come with 2 8rd mags a holster, cleaning rod and it all goes in the holster. The cal. is 7.62x25 but you can buy a 9mm barrel for them and use the same mags. The gun is relieble. I do own one but not in the 9mm cal. Easy to clean and disassambly is fast (30sec.or less if you are good) Yes you can find the 7.62x25 ammo but it comes and goes but it is slowly getting easere to find. Look in to it they are a fun toy. No i will not get rid of mine Sorry :D

X2 on the KEL TEC 9, and in case of emergency
it takes the Smith clips.

Happy Hunting

Kel-Tec

I carry a Kel-Tec 3AT (.380) as a backup and off duty carry gun. (my main duty weapon is a Glock 21 -.45acp). Teh Kel-Tec is small, light and works very well for cheap price (.380 ran me $265). The 9mm isn't much bigger and there are a few guys at the department that have them and absolutely swear by them. Due to the relatively small size, I highly recommend the magazine finger extension and the pocket clip for concealment. Best bang for the buck (bang...get it?):biggrin:

Good luck!

Taurus also makes a decent small gun for a reasonable price (used about 250-350). I also have a Millenium Pro .45-pretty smooth for a small weapon.

Good and Cheap is tough when talking about autos. You can pick up a .38 Taurus Revolver under $200. It will always work, safe to carry and the .38 special has pretty good knock down power.

i have had an enhanced Sigma [S&W] for over 10 years - and its reliable and cheap.... jammed once on reloads - thats about it....

my brother got a Taurus compact .45ACP for a real reasonable price.

9mm Zipgun

How about $26.83 at home depot, no license or permit needed....:biggrin:

Attachments

• unabomber.jpg
    unabomber.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 5,110
now thats funny right there :D :D

i would go with a taurus, i've got a 9mm pt-111 and till today 2oo+ rounds and no jams. i know it may be a little bit more money, but think about this
if you ever have to pull a gun, you obviously are in a bad situation :eek: , when you are trying to protect your life or loved ones, do you really want to be thinking " i hope this thing shoots" or would you rather have some thing you a bit more reliable, which lets you know if you do your part the gun will do it's. this is my little collection, and yes they do cost the kimber was almost 1K but you don't need to go that far, my glock-19 shoots terrific, great gun highly recommended. just keep in mind that weapon can 1 day save your life. good luck, look around gun shows for good deals.

Attachments

• Picture 238.jpg
    Picture 238.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 5,486
  • Picture 243.jpg
    Picture 243.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 5,872
  • fpl bill 079.jpg
    fpl bill 079.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 4,137
FWIW, I'd definately have to agree with what a couple of others have said - when it comes to purchasing a tool you plan to defend yourself with, it doesn't make sense to cut corners or "give the job to the lowest bidder" ;)

However, everyone has a different budget to work with so with that in mind, I'd say your best option would be a used duty gun. A few years ago I had a ex-police Sig in .40 S&W (I think it was a model 229?? - can't remember) It was an *EXCELLENT* gun and I picked it up from a reputable dealer for about $250 less than what they were going for new.

If the pricetag of a used duty gun is still not workable, there are some less expensive import options that have pretty good reputations. The options are unbelieveably numerous. Plenty of ex-military comunist-bloc pistols floating around, but you do want to do your homwork and research those options as many of them have very marginal quality. My father-in-law has a Norinco "Tokarev" pistol in 9x19 (standard 9mm). Norinco is a pretty large weqapons manufacturer and importer. I have not shot my father-in-law's Tokarav, but I've examined it and was surprised by the fit and finish *considering what he paid for it*. I believe he picked it up new for about $150 a few years ago. The Tokarev is *very* similar in design to a 1911 but the parts are no where close to interchangeable, just similar in design.

Having said all that, I would actually recommend a good, quality used revolver (Colt, Smith and Wesson, Ruger, Taurus) . Revolvers are usually less expensive than an equal quality auto and some people still swear revolvers are more safe and reliable. One down-side to keeping an auto around for home defense, the magazine springs will eventually get week if you keep them loaded all the time and a week magazine spring will inevitably cause a mis-feed. And a less expensive auto might be more prone to having weak magazine springs. You can keep the magazines only partially loaded to reduce the compression on the magazine spring, but if you're going to reduce the number of rounds in the gun, you might as well have a 6-shot revolver. JMO. :cool:

$100-200 auto and Reliable?

No such thing.

Spend the $. Don't skimp. If and when it gets down to you or him..couple extra hundred dollars isn't gonna seem real important. ;)

Cheap Gun

I personally have a Sig 9mm, however for an inexpensive reliable 9mm, I would choose a Glock 19. Great shot, little recoil, dependable and light.

Just my .02

I personally have a Sig 9mm, however for an inexpensive reliable 9mm, I would choose a Glock 19. Great shot, little recoil, dependable and light.

Just my .02

I could not agree with you more. i carry my glock for those same reasons my kimber (45 acp. ) can out-shoot my glock any day but it's big and heavy. the glock is perfect and light. as nick stated