You can type here any text you want

What's the first BIG mod?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

OK, let's say someone buys a car. The first step is to make sure it's running right. Next is to get some gauges (which are probably needed to get it running right anyway). Then the little things come along, lower thermostat, colder plugs, K&N cone, better exhaust. What is the first BIG mod to do to get these cars running faster? The mod that makes a BIG change?

• Alcohol injection
  • Timing control (MSD BTM)
  • Machined Turbo/Larger Impellers
  • Ported heads
  • Larger Downpipe
  • Something else?

Well , The 2.5" downpipe I picked up .5 Seconds on the ET.

The T3/4 hybird turbo was a .4 second gain.

Alky (not fully tested yet) gave me a 2 MPH increase in the traps.

Number One was porting the heads. worth 1 second off my ET.

Also the torque convertor its got to stall around 2800-3200 rpms. If the convertor to tight you can't build boost.

This is My opinon .

The only chips in my car are the Rev limiter chip , No computer in my car.

Does any one make a after market chip for the computer controlled carb turbo ?

Nobody makes chips for the Carb cars. The language is different than EFI and nobody has translated it. There is no motivation do to so. Too few Carb/Turbo Buick V6's. Everybody else with a carb'ed 305 or 307 is afraid of ECMs. Rip everything out, put in a SBC 350 without all that computer/smog stuff. :rolleyes:

I knew you would say heads. That a little extreme for me, unless I'm already rebuilding the motor. I have a higher stall converter now. The '83 is running well, so I thinking of something big (as soon as I save up some mo' money. The trans rebuild squeezed my wallet pretty tight ;) ).

I had to think on this for awhile...

1. Mandrel bent down pipe/exh
2. Akly/water (will help other mods/cool charge)
3. Timing control
4. Rebuild top, i.e. port heads, new cam,lifters,timing gear (with this mod it's best to get a higher stall TC)
5. Hog out turbo (higher stall TC is a most)

If you are going to the touble of removing the heads you might as well get the stuff that is right there. Other wise you have to remove most of it again just to do the other mods.
Depending on the cam is if you have to get a higher stall TC.

OH..my cam comes in saturday :D 212/212@50 452/492 I think are the specs.....Crap I think I need more stall

Back