You can type here any text you want

What's the point of lowering the car? (other than looks)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"Turbo-T"

V6 on steroids
I noticed Bel Tech makes a 2 inch drop spindle for the front and I believe you can get a set of rear coils to drop the rear too.

Other than looks, what does this do for the car? It obviously lowers the center of gravity....does that equate to less body roll and better handling around curves and such?

Lowering spindles do nothing but give the car looks. They are a horrible way to lower the car unless you just have some laying around to use. I would never pay money for them. Best way to lower the car is to use springs and ball joints. They actually will cost less than the spindles if you use 5658's and Howes BJ's. This makes the car lower and helps with our cars bad bump steer issues. Here is a good link to describe what bump steer is:
Bump Steer Technical Information
Another benefit of lowering is bringing down the center of gravity, glues the car to the road better!

AND IT LOOKS SWEET!!!

Hhhmm....what's so bad about using drop spindles...???

FWIW I've owned 2 S-10's with drop spindles and stock coils that rode great with no issues. One of them had a V8 in it. I could only imagine a drop coil on that truck with the extra weight up front would have rode like ass....like it did when the stock 4 cyl. coils were so compressed the control arms would hit on every bump.

But as you say, a lowered car does help with body roll and such....cool...anyone else have any info?

Lowering spindles do nothing but give the car looks. They are a horrible way to lower the car unless you just have some laying around to use. I would never pay money for them. Best way to lower the car is to use springs and ball joints. They actually will cost less than the spindles if you use 5658's and Howes BJ's. This makes the car lower and helps with our cars bad bump steer issues. Here is a good link to describe what bump steer is:
Bump Steer Technical Information
Another benefit of lowering is bringing down the center of gravity, glues the car to the road better!

AND IT LOOKS SWEET!!!

Actually, using drop spindles are a better choice than springs for drop for several reasons. The factory spindles are one of the weak points and (God forbid) in a wreck involving you running over a curb or something the attachment point where the tie rod mount usually bends. The aftermarket ones have better matereal and a slightly beefier design and aren't as likely to bend. You can use spindle savers and they're not expensive but they still aren't that strong. Also with using a drop spindle you keep the total control arm travel. The link on bump steer is a great link BTW and I do specialty from end work for a living. ASE Master. As far as getting rid of the bump steer and getting a better camber curve then you need to convert to a B body spindle and get tubular uppers. Bigger brakes, better design on the spindles and you get about 1" drop as well. Much better idea than just using springs.

Actually, using drop spindles are a better choice than springs for drop for several reasons. The factory spindles are one of the weak points and (God forbid) in a wreck involving you running over a curb or something the attachment point where the tie rod mount usually bends. The aftermarket ones have better matereal and a slightly beefier design and aren't as likely to bend. You can use spindle savers and they're not expensive but they still aren't that strong. Also with using a drop spindle you keep the total control arm travel. The link on bump steer is a great link BTW and I do specialty from end work for a living. ASE Master. As far as getting rid of the bump steer and getting a better camber curve then you need to convert to a B body spindle and get tubular uppers. Bigger brakes, better design on the spindles and you get about 1" drop as well. Much better idea than just using springs.

Do a little research on drop spindles. They do nothing for front geometery. The only thing drop spindles do is move the spindle upward. By doing this, it accually magnifies our poor bump steer issues. I'm glad you are a pro at this but you need to read up on this. Or you may give Marcus a call or email him at Savitske Classic & Custom for a little more info and product information.

Do a little research on drop spindles. They do nothing for front geometery. The only thing drop spindles do is move the spindle upward. By doing this, it accually magnifies our poor bump steer issues. I'm glad you are a pro at this but you need to read up on this. Or you may give Marcus a call or email him at Savitske Classic & Custom for a little more info and product information.

I've talked to Marcus before and that's why I brought up the B body spindles with the tubular control arms. It's the best overall solution for all the previously mentioned issues. Pick up a copy of the Bosch Automotive Handbook and do some reading. It does an excellent job of explaining the relation of steering geometry and relation of control arms design.

The S-10's use the same Bell Tech spindle as the G-body platform. Check out the part numbers. That ought to tell you what they were designed for...looks.

Look at the car jdpolzin has built and take note of his mods. He knows his stuff.

Most people start off with spindles. I did back in the day and believe me, the car looked cool! Now we have so much more research into front end geometery I really feel lucky to be able to take the cars a step farther than we did in the the past.

Thanks for the compliments Rob! I know your car is going to blow mine out of the water once it's finished! I dont know everything and will always be open to more input.

To get back to the basics of the original poster: No lowering a car is not just for looks, by lowering the car, you have the capabilities to tune your suspension. The ultimate goal is keep the tire flat while cornering and lowering the center of gravity.

I've talked to Marcus before and that's why I brought up the B body spindles with the tubular control arms. It's the best overall solution for all the previously mentioned issues. Pick up a copy of the Bosch Automotive Handbook and do some reading. It does an excellent job of explaining the relation of steering geometry and relation of control arms design.
when ATS came out with the aluminum spindles that use the C5 Vette wheel hub, they pretty much made every other GM spindle design obsolete.
i think the G body version lowers the car a couple of inches, the taller spindle corrects the camber curve, the bolt on steering arm fixes the bumpsteer,
and any brakes designed for a 97 and newer Vette bolts right up. if you need 14" brake rotors for some reason, then ATS is the way to go.
they are kind of spendy, tho.

Back