What's the realistic limit of the stock DP?

WS6

Sock Monkey racing
What is a realistic ceiling for performance when using the stock downpipe? As far as HP and 1/4 mile times? Considering typical upgrades in chips,injectors and turbo?

At what level does it become the choke point?

I gained a little over a tenth on a mid 11 car.

thats why most of the TTAs around here ran a stocker.. :p If all your lookin for is an high 11 sec ride I'd leave the stocker.. My wifes original TTA ran high 11s @ 113/115. BUT that was stock "junk" :cool:

Thanks for the info guys--I have also been watching this thread--so you guys just saved me about a G note.:D

the stock elbow on the stock DP will be the bigger limiting factor...especialy when going to a larger turbo. It is very restrictive, porting helps but depending on turbo the opening can just be too small where even porting will not help. The outlet on my GT6776 is bigger then the stock elbow inlet before porting...after porting every last bit I could it is close but now I don't think it seal is all that good.

pic's of stock vs. ported and then my new 3" S/S elbow :cool:

Attachments

• image0223.jpg
    image0223.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 395
  • image0222.jpg
    image0222.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 393
  • image0221.jpg
    image0221.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 383
  • image0227.jpg
    image0227.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 387
  • image0228.jpg
    image0228.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 406
I gained a little over a tenth on a mid 11 car.

Seemed to me that I also gained a little over a tenth in a 13 second car too. The torque converter seemed like the biggest gain so far on my butt dyno. This next round of upgrades will be hard to tell because I'm doing so many at once.

Have fun,

Eric

well we had a few cars here that run low 11s with that POS stock ported elbow in the 123+/- mph .. Melissa ran mid 11s in a Buick for 10 years with it to :p how fast you guys lookin to go ??

well we had a few cars here that run low 11s with that POS stock ported elbow in the 123+/- mph .. Melissa ran mid 11s in a Buick for 10 years with it to :p how fast you guys lookin to go ??

I heard that Dan...I know your not running that POS elbow on that 6776 though...that turbo is a 1/4" or more bigger :biggrin:

lookin' for 10's eventually ;)

really don't need a 6776 to run 10s these cars had a 44 or a 51 .. 62 would prob get ya there easier :cool: Oh this is the first time Melissa hasn't had a stock elbow on her car ;)

really don't need a 6776 to run 10s these cars had a 44 or a 51 .. 62 would prob get ya there easier :cool: Oh this is the first time Melissa hasn't had a stock elbow on her car ;)

your probably right but it's on the car and it sure is fun so far :cool: no numbers yet but don't expect too much until I get the heads done and new cam ;)

I ran 11.74@117 with the stock dp, turbo, ic, fuel pump and transmission in 1997 at the Nats with my TTA. 30k mile car. Has #009s, adj fpr, volt booster, adj boost actuator, dump pipe, maf pipe/k&n, Reds chip on race gas and 23# of boost. Still have the car but has lived under a cover since '98. I had a link on 89TTA.com but that site has been dead for sometime now.

Personnally, I'd be happy with an 11.8 car, but the question is more research oriented into producing some and getting some marketing feedback done first.
The prices on aftermarket DP's for TTA's is damn near offensive. But if a 10th off a low 12--high 11 car is all that can be expected then the price to go to market would need to be half of what they are now.

I appreciate the input and the elbow porting discussion is very interesting and worth some time maybe.

thats why most of the TTAs around here ran a stocker.. :p If all your lookin for is an high 11 sec ride I'd leave the stocker.. My wifes original TTA ran high 11s @ 113/115. BUT that was stock "junk" :cool:

Good thing my DP was free. :biggrin: The car does spool up noticably faster on the street. So that makes it more fun on the stret. But for a tenth or so at the track it is an expensive tenth.

Found a pict from BG Nats in '97. The car would 60ft 1.62s with the bone stock trans and converter off the foot brake.

Attachments

• TTABG.jpg
    TTABG.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 339
Personnally, I'd be happy with an 11.8 car, but the question is more research oriented into producing some and getting some marketing feedback done first.
The prices on aftermarket DP's for TTA's is damn near offensive. But if a 10th off a low 12--high 11 car is all that can be expected then the price to go to market would need to be half of what they are now.

I appreciate the input and the elbow porting discussion is very interesting and worth some time maybe.

The stock elbow is definitely the biggest problem when it comes to flow and the use with larger turbos. With people being able to spool much larger turbos now days especially the BB turbos it comes down to size of the turbo outlet vs. elbow inlet that creates a problem. Now if somebody could manufacture a hi-flow elbow with a lager puck and inlet that would work with bigger turbos that couples to a modified stock DP...then that may be marketable since it should only cost ~$250 or so. You would have to cut off the end of the stock DP down by the head...just not sure if there is room to do so. Would be a part like this but with a smaller pipe or reduce it down to the stock DP size.

Attachments

• image0228.jpg
    image0228.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 323
I ran 11.74@117 with the stock dp, turbo, ic, fuel pump and transmission in 1997 at the Nats with my TTA. 30k mile car. Has #009s, adj fpr, volt booster, adj boost actuator, dump pipe, maf pipe/k&n, Reds chip on race gas and 23# of boost. Still have the car but has lived under a cover since '98. I had a link on 89TTA.com but that site has been dead for sometime now.

Is that the fastest a stock turbo/ic TTA has been ? any head work ?

Is that the fastest a stock turbo/ic TTA has been ? any head work ?

I would have no idea if it was the quickest or not but it has to be near the very top. At the time Red A. said we could have probably taken a hundred of these cars that were bone stock and none would run quite as good as this one did mod for mod. It never had the valve covers off and was bone stock/org untouched when I bought it.

The ONLY mods are the ones I listed. I would have liked to see how new valve springs and the better race fuels of today would have made it run. I may have gotten a 11.50 out of it. The stock fuel pump was maxed out on the regulator with 110. I did put a servo in the trans to waken it up which helped. It was beginning to get a little tired. Many 11 sec passes will do that to a stock trans I guess.:D

Mine wasn't that fast. I got down to 12.1 with all the stock stuff. Only mods were ATR MAF pipe, 8" K&N, 160 t-stat, cat pipe, and Nittos. Injectors were maxxed big time! Can't remember if I did it on a Thrasher92 or Reds 93 chip. Would run 12.6 on the Firestones. Major difference was launching under boost. 1.69 vs. 1.88 short times.

Also, the THDP didn't do much for mine also after I was in the 11's.